Author Topic: What Do Guns Say?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
What Do Guns Say?
« on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
Another piece of dribble from the NY Times.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/opinionator/2014/05/04/what-do-guns-say/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

The photographer, Rebecca Cook (Reuters), was at the Romulus Demonstration.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Re: What Do Guns Say?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
I saw the title and thought of  "pew pew pew".  Then I thought of "what does the fox say. . . "

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »
But what does it mean, in a democracy that enshrines freedom of speech, to publicly carry a gun as an expression of political dissent? Toting a weapon in a demonstration changes the stakes, transforming a protest from just another heated transaction in the marketplace of ideas into something else entirely. It’s bringing a gun to an idea-fight, gesturing as close as possible to outright violence while still technically remaining within the domain of speech. Like a military “show of force,” this gesture stays on the near side of an actual declaration of war while remaining indisputably hostile. The commitment to civil disagreement is merely provisional: I feel so strongly about this issue, the gun says, that if I don’t get my way, I am willing to kill for it.

From my cold, dead hands, lead first?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:52:34 PM »
This is not the first anti-gun article this guy has written.  Here's a few excerpts of one he wrote about a year ago.

Why I gave up my guns
A former firearm enthusiast explains his personal epiphany

Late one night in the spring of 2008, I was jolted awake by the sound of yet another a burglar trying to break into my Atlanta home. We’d already had a series of scary close calls, but this time I was ready: I had staged my shotgun and a box of shells in a broom closet right by the back door, next to the umbrellas.

While my girlfriend called the police, I ran into the kitchen and looked out the window just in time to see a human form rush to hide in the shadows behind my car. I grabbed the gun and fumbled for the ammunition in the half-light, spilling most on the ground, but finally found one cartridge I was able to slide into the chamber.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN OUR ONLINE PETITION TO BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS

I worked the action furiously, once, twice, and again, realizing dimly as I did that in doing so I was actually ejecting the shell, unspent, and basically unloading the weapon.

I couldn’t make out his face or tell if he was armed. The next moment I was in the bathroom, vomiting hot puke all over the floor and toilet, water from the bowl splashing my face and eyes. Later, my girlfriend told me I had made her feel safe, protected. I just felt ill.

I could have just as easily been killed by him or accidentally shot myself or my partner.

The ease with which I had bought my guns, fired them recreationally, and even stoically contemplated the possibility of defending me and mine with lethal force suddenly seemed foolish.

In fact, it was almost as if my very closeness to guns had blinded me to the real possibility that they might lead me to actually killing another human being.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/gave-guns-article-1.1238566

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
Heh, he got called to the mat in the comments
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »
This is not the first anti-gun article this guy has written.  Here's a few excerpts of one he wrote about a year ago.

Why I gave up my guns
A former firearm enthusiast explains his personal epiphany

Late one night in the spring of 2008, I was jolted awake by the sound of yet another a burglar trying to break into my Atlanta home. We’d already had a series of scary close calls, but this time I was ready: I had staged my shotgun and a box of shells in a broom closet right by the back door, next to the umbrellas.

While my girlfriend called the police, I ran into the kitchen and looked out the window just in time to see a human form rush to hide in the shadows behind my car. I grabbed the gun and fumbled for the ammunition in the half-light, spilling most on the ground, but finally found one cartridge I was able to slide into the chamber.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN OUR ONLINE PETITION TO BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS

I worked the action furiously, once, twice, and again, realizing dimly as I did that in doing so I was actually ejecting the shell, unspent, and basically unloading the weapon.

I couldn’t make out his face or tell if he was armed. The next moment I was in the bathroom, vomiting hot puke all over the floor and toilet, water from the bowl splashing my face and eyes. Later, my girlfriend told me I had made her feel safe, protected. I just felt ill.

I could have just as easily been killed by him or accidentally shot myself or my partner.

The ease with which I had bought my guns, fired them recreationally, and even stoically contemplated the possibility of defending me and mine with lethal force suddenly seemed foolish.

In fact, it was almost as if my very closeness to guns had blinded me to the real possibility that they might lead me to actually killing another human being.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/gave-guns-article-1.1238566

lack of preparation. keep it loaded at all times so all u have to do is rack one in. this guys sounds like a total p***y pardon my french. grow a pair....

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »
I'm puking after reading his fictional story presented as fact.  I call BS

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
I second Part deux, this is a BS story all the way around. Outright lies to undermine the Constitution of the US.
Tuebor Libertatus