Author Topic: Car mount holster  (Read 9115 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Car mount holster
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
Re: Car mount holster
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Kind of nice, and I've been wanting an in-car holster.  But, I don't live in a nice state (like Arizona, for example) where you can have your gun visible inside the car.  Here in Texas, it has to be hidden.  What about Michigan?  If you have a CPL, I know you can carry your gun into your car in an OC setup.  Does this in-car holster also qualify as OC in Michigan?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »
Nope, it would be considered concealed.  Has to be packed away in a case, unloaded and in the trunk, or if no trunk most out of reach as possible without a CPL.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
with my CPL sometimes i just leave it on the passenger seat lol. i also have a little pocket built into my seat covers i sometimes use. or just keep it in my holster on my waist. depends where i am at or heading to. anytime i go down to detroit its right on the passenger seat in easy reach... for obvious reasons.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Nope, it would be considered concealed.  Has to be packed away in a case, unloaded and in the trunk, or if no trunk most out of reach as possible without a CPL.

I disagree that it would be considered concealed though, according to MCL 750.227 (2), the distinction doesn't matter.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
I disagree that it would be considered concealed though, according to MCL 750.227 (2), the distinction doesn't matter.

either way, no cpl = transport rules apply. with a cpl you can have it in your car loaded.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »
U better have it where u can get to it wherever u r at not just Detroit Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »

I agree.  As long as you have a CPL and are in the car, my interpretation of this would be, you can mount it right on the dash in plain site if you want.  Now, leaving it in the car would be entirely a different story.  I believe you would have to follow the transporting laws and have it locked in a case unloaded with the mags removed.  I could be wrong about that but, that is my interpretation of the law.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
with my CPL sometimes i just leave it on the passenger seat lol. i also have a little pocket built into my seat covers i sometimes use. or just keep it in my holster on my waist. depends where i am at or heading to. anytime i go down to detroit its right on the passenger seat in easy reach... for obvious reasons.
The downside to having it on the seat is that in the bump and rob scenario, the pistol is a missile, it may very well end up inaccessible at the very moment you need it the most.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
let me rephrase and amend what i had said earlier to give a further explination. i usually have it right by my leg on the seat with my leg holding it in place. reach down and grip up and be on target quickly. i have a bench seat in the truck

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
If you're in the car with it mounted to your dash and a cop pulls you over you better have a CPL is all I really meant because otherwise you aren't transporting it within the law.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
I agree.  As long as you have a CPL and are in the car, my interpretation of this would be, you can mount it right on the dash in plain site if you want.  Now, leaving it in the car would be entirely a different story.  I believe you would have to follow the transporting laws and have it locked in a case unloaded with the mags removed.  I could be wrong about that but, that is my interpretation of the law.

What would make you think it would have to be cased if you left it in your car?
MI. has NO storage laws, you can leave your gun wherever you want loaded or not.
The police *MAY* try to make up a law or charge you with some sort of negligence *if* someone took it & hurt themselves or someone else but that would almost have to involve a child.
Bottom line, NO storage laws in Michigan.