Author Topic: No open carry of empty holster in court house?!?  (Read 6966 times)

Offline Advanced Security

No open carry of empty holster in court house?!?
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
So, according to sherriff's deputy Lyons, a person, cannot carry an empty holster in the court.  He claimed people would mistake me for a cop...

When asked, he wouldn't cite a law

Jeff

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: No open carry of empty holster in court house?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
Bull he is making that up period!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »

+1.

ive seen holster carry inside local courts before.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »

+1.

ive seen holster carry inside local courts before.

I've done it there before. I know its bull.  I asked if it was illegal, he said no, he just didn't want holsters in his court. I explained that it wasn't a big deal, he insisted. Its not a courthouse with courts, its all admin. Clerks office, birth/death records, ppo's, that sort of thing.

Jeff

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »
For what it's worth, it's no more HIS court than it is YOUR court.

Offline Agent1

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
Im quite sure no SD has the authority to pick out my wardrobe >:(

Ask for a SGT, and if he is one, ask for a LT. You can wear 5 holsters if you want.

Whats next, no red shirts! someone might mistaken you for a fire hydrant!
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline smallthunder

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
There simply is no law that states this.  It's a simple matter of another cop trying to make junk up for whatever the 100 reasons they think they can.

Offline Donzie

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
So, according to sherriff's deputy Lyons, a person, cannot carry an empty holster in the court.  He claimed people would mistake me for a cop...

Jeff
What county?
In Tuscola a year or two ago, I was stopped by a young deputy.
He said to a elder deputy -"he has a holster!"
the elder - "is there a gun in it?"
Deputy-"no, but he has a loaded clip too"
me- "thats not a CLIP it's a MAGAZINE"
elder-"whats he gonna do, throw it at someone?"
GUN CONTROL: the theory that a women found dead in an ally, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a women explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »

Jeff
What county?
In Tuscola a year or two ago, I was stopped by a young deputy.
He said to a elder deputy -"he has a holster!"
the elder - "is there a gun in it?"
Deputy-"no, but he has a loaded clip too"
me- "thats not a CLIP it's a MAGAZINE"
elder-"whats he gonna do, throw it at someone?"

Genesee county. I emailed the attorney general, that same day.  As of yet there's been no response.  What can I do next time a LEO does something that I know is wrong like that?

Jeff

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
That's really up to you isn't it?  You can either comply or not.  You might get arrested, falsely, you might win that particular battle.  There's really no way to know how it will play out, it all depends on where you, yourself draw that particular line.  As has been stated, there is no law restricting holsters in a courtroom.  He's wrong.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
That's really up to you isn't it?  You can either comply or not.  You might get arrested, falsely, you might win that particular battle.  There's really no way to know how it will play out, it all depends on where you, yourself draw that particular line.  As has been stated, there is no law restricting holsters in a courtroom.  He's wrong.

I'll take the heat for this one, as I might have been unclear.  Sorry. We have 2 courthouses in flint, one is actual court, the other is just the admin side of things. (i.e. Birth certificates, law library, etc.) It was the admin one I was stopped at.  .

That said, I think I have a little better understanding now how it works.  I'm willing to test case this, should the event repeat itself. I'm willing to walk away from the incorrect LEO. Also, he outright said that there was no law, just his personal preference...

We'll see how it plays.

Thanks,

Jeff