Author Topic: First LEO interaction  (Read 5439 times)

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
First LEO interaction
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
OC'd my XD in my drop-leg around the yard yesterday, changing my oil and cleaning my Jeep.

At one point I asked a gentleman who was parked in the alley between our house and the gas station next door (which has recently been clearly marked a no parking zone) if he had seen the no parking signs, he gave me a nervous look, closed the door of his truck and left abruptly.
Later, when I was under my Jeep pulling the drain plug, I saw him return to the gas station and go inside. He came back out without any further purchases visible so I assume he was complaining to the store owner.

Then after I was done with my oil change and was cleaning the interior of my Jeep, a Van Buren County Sheriff deputy pulled into our driveway. I turned toward him and when he stepped out of his car asked him "can I help you, officer?" he said yes and asked if I knew a specific gentleman by name. I did not, so he asked about the volunteer firefighter that was parked in the alley, I said yes I had spoken to him.
The deputy then asked if I had told him to move his vehicle (apparently the gentleman had complained that I was intimidating him)??? and I explained that I had simply asked him if he had seen the no parking signs. The deputy then asked for my ID and I responded "am I being detained officer?" he said of course not so I told him that I was not required to show ID.
He then said something about how it wasn't my place to enforce the law "That’s my job" and that I was being "Cocky and arrogant". I explained that I had no desire to be seen as cocky, but that I was aware of my rights. I then offered to give my name and address, since he was investigating a complaint.

We then ended up having a discussion about our rights. I think I was able to get him to see that not giving ID when not required to was simply a statement that I knew my rights, not an attempt to interfere with him doing his job.

We ended up shaking hands and parting on relatively friendly terms, so I think it ended decently.

BTW, from now on my recorder is going to be running even in the yard at home.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline northofnowhere

Re: First LEO interaction
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »
The world has become a place where people who commit a crime feel they are in the right.  Isn't it amazing how fast our whole society's value's can be turned upside down.  I yelled at a repeatedly passing hoodlum to turn down their stereo as they passed an elderly community driving back and forth on the main drag in town here.  They saw me get in my car and followed me home, shouted some nice things at me, then left.  30 minutes later they came back with two carloads, 8 people, and the first two out of their cars  bum rush my back door to come in and yell at me.

I drew my Glock, engaged the laser, they left at this point, go figure, and waited outside for the police who my wife had called because they felt I was in the wrong for asking them to turn down their disrespectful and illegal music, and because I had done that, they had a right to enter my home and tell me who they all felt, all 8 of them.  Our communities children are not being taught basic values.  Our country's young adults' morals are dwindling fast.  It appears there is only a small minority of us who have ethics, morals, and who generally care about what is becoming of our kids futures.

A man illegally parked calls the police because you asked if he knew he was illegally parked, amazing, and he was a volunteer fireman, someone youth look up to as a role model, brilliant.  Up here a fire dept. chief was upset someone turned him into the police for parking in handicapped spots all day, every day.  It was a fellow firemen, the chief keyed the guys car.  Luckily there was a witness.  In your case did the volunteer firemen not ADMIT TO A CRIME?  Did the policemen offer a ticket for the man ADMITTING A CRIME?  No, he goes and harrasses someone who is working hard to maintain his own vehicle, honest and fair labor.

Criminals, hoodlums, punks, career criminals, leeches, they have no place in my world, and they seem to be multiplying and getting more daring everyday.  I shall keep my Glock on my hip, as it is apparently the only one around me with similar values to my own.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
I'm curious as to what the cops determined. Aren't the punks actions considered home invasion? You're right, gangs will take action just for disrespecting them.

Offline emt805

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »
  30 minutes later they came back with two carloads, 8 people, and the first two out of their cars  bum rush my back door to come in and yell at me

With the two heading to the back door and who knows where the other six have went or what else they had with them to use as weapons with your family in the house they are lucky they could walk out rather than have to be carried out, sounds like enough cause for the Castle Doctrine.

Offline redskin

• ...our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
In your case did the volunteer firemen not ADMIT TO A CRIME?  Did the policemen offer a ticket for the man ADMITTING A CRIME?

Sorry, but this is a big pet-peeve of mine. The firemen didn't commit a crime. He broke a rule. There is a major difference and holding him up to the level of a criminal is unfair.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers and woods, but a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
In your case did the volunteer firemen not ADMIT TO A CRIME?  Did the policemen offer a ticket for the man ADMITTING A CRIME?

Sorry, but this is a big pet-peeve of mine. The firemen didn't commit a crime. He broke a rule. There is a major difference and holding him up to the level of a criminal is unfair.
He broke a traffic control order or ordinance first offence is a civil enfraction second is a misdemeanor.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline redskin

• ...our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »
Philosophically speaking, I was.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers and woods, but a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.