Author Topic: Call for questions (read!)  (Read 7611 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Call for questions (read!)
« on: May 19, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »
Q has been after me for a while to interview, or have someone interview, the Detroit Chief of Police.  First of all, would anyone here be willing to set up an interview with Chief Craig and write it up for the MOC newsletter? Like within the next couple of weeks?

Failing that, I'm asking all here to post some suggested questions and I will try and set up an interview with Chief Craig so I can get it in the July 2014 edition of the newsletter.  So, what should MOC ask Detroit Chief of Police Craig?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Call for questions (read!)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »
What motivated your views on everyday peaceful carrying guns for self defense -- specifically open carry?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
Is there a moment in time you can point to where you adopted this belief?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
How do your officers feel about your stance on personal defense for individuals not in law enforcement and, has there been protocol set up as to how to address OC at the street level for LEO's? 

Would you consider trying to develop some type of communication/interaction with training between LEO and, at the very least, CPL holders.  Not so much used as a wanna-be LEO training activity but, more less to help LEO's have an idea of the people they could trust in times of emergency situations?

Is there anything that you could suggest to help address the areas of the city that are high crime or areas that LEO's are even leary to enter?  Ie dangerous gang areas?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions so far.  I will add these to the list I have written myself and try to combine similar questions. 

If others have more questions they'd like to see asked of Chief Craig, continue to post them here.  Thank you.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:25:54 AM »
UPDATE

We contacted Chief Craig's office about doing an interview to be published in the next newsletter.  They responded and wanted some background on Michigan Open Carry and a list of questions to be asked.  I gave them some background on MOC and these are the questions I submitted:

1.       You have been outspoken on gun ownership and self-defense, saying, “If more citizens were armed, criminals would think twice about attacking them,” and more recently, when asked about open carry, “It’s the law, and I support the law.”  The reaction from some in the media and politics has not been favorable.  What has been the reaction to these comments from the street officers under your command?  How do your officers feel about your stance on personal defense for individuals not in law enforcement?

2.       All large cities face challenges.  What has prompted you to have a different attitude on citizens carrying guns for self-defense than other police chiefs such as Milwaukee’s Police Chief Edward Flynn who was quoted as saying, “My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we’ll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it?”  Is there a moment in time you can point to where you adopted this belief?

3.       Has there been protocol set up for officers at the street level as to how to address those who choose to carry a holstered pistol openly rather than concealed? 

4.       There are citizens who are concerned in what they see as the militarization of the police.  Police officers are not troops, they're civil servants, peace officers. People recognize that there are important differences between cops and soldiers. What do you say to those who are concerned about this growing trend?

5.       You began your career in 1977 with the Detroit Police Department before moving to the LAPD.  From the perspective of a police officer, how has Detroit changed since you first began with them 37 years ago?

6.       What is your position on gun control legislation regulating magazine capacity?

Aside from these questions, if Chief Craig would like to comment on anything else, we’d be more than happy to print anything he wishes to say to our readers. 

+++++

They didn't reply, so after a couple of weeks I sent a reminder email.  They finally replied today and denied us an interview.  This is what I received today:

+++++

Mr. Griffin,

We respectfully decline this opportunity to interview with your agency due to scheduling conflicts. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thank you,
Officer Moreno

Detroit Police Department
Office of Public Information
313-596-2200 Phone
313-596-1450 Fax
Pubinfo@dpdhq.ci.detroit.mi.us

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »
Scheduling conflicts? Did you request a specific date and time? Or are they just making excuses?
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
I say call them out.

Scheduling conflicts? Since I didn't specify any time or discuss my schedule in any way, would you care to elaborate on when exactly our schedules conflict?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Scheduling conflicts? Did you request a specific date and time? Or are they just making excuses?

No specific date or time.  The interview was to be at the Chief's convenience.  I think that's just a nice way of saying "go away."

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
tell them no lol. we wont get swept under the rug!

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:18:48 AM »
The national average of on target shots for police is about 20%. Where do Detroit police come out for their average.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
The national average of on target shots for police is about 20%. Where do Detroit police come out for their average.

We don't want to be antagonistic. :)

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Probably a good idea. Maybe that's why your guys do interviews and I just go to lunch in avoid conversation

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
I say call them out.

Scheduling conflicts? Since I didn't specify any time or discuss my schedule in any way, would you care to elaborate on when exactly our schedules conflict?

I've sent a reply, saying since I didn't request a specific date or time, it would be at the Chief's convenience and to reconsider our request for an interview.  We'll see how long it takes them to reply--if they reply at all.  :(

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »
The Chief Craig interview may NOT be off after all.

Further updates as warranted.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
Now here's a great accomplishment for a new police chief:
Eliminated personal security positions for the Mayor's Office and City Council

I hadn't really known what went on in Detroit, but I always figured it was insane for the taxpayers of Chitcago to pay for 24 hour police security for Aldermen, as if getting elected to the city council merited a secret service detail.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
wow the chief is actually responding to comments in the mlive article.