Author Topic: Mixing different defense ammo in same magazine.  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Jeff

Mixing different defense ammo in same magazine.
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
When I switched my carry ammo over from what I used to carry to what I wanted to carry, I was unable to purchase enough of the new stuff to fill 3 magazines.  I am sure I will run into another box of Spear Gold Dots 124G+p's eventually but as of now, I was only able to buy two boxes (40 rounds).  I have two 15 round magazines loaded with it and my +1 leaving not enough to load another full 15 round magazine.  I have only been carrying ONE spare magazine but I want to increase it to TWO spare magazines now.

How would you feel about loading 6 rounds of your old defense ammo just to be able to fill up another full magazine?  I think if you needed to reload twice, you would not care what brand those last 6 rounds were or if they were not very effective.  So in order to fill a second spare magazine I would need 6 rounds of my old carry ammo and just load them as my last 6 rounds in that magazine.

So what do you guys think about that?  Even if it's not optimal ammo, at least it's more ammo in the off chance it might be needed?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Mixing different defense ammo in same magazine.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
Carry the best ammo you have in your primary and spare mags.  If you run out of your best SD ammo, load your next best in your last spare mag or BUG (back-up gun.  You do carry a back-up gun, right?)

Do not "Dutch load" (i.e., alternate rounds) in your primary weapon.  Make it all consistent with your best ammo.  You want to have the use of that first.  In your case, if you are carrying 46 rounds, but only have forty best, load whatever you have at the bottom of your last mag.  But actually you will need to load more because if you have switched ammo, you need to shoot some of those new rounds to verify good functionality with your gun.  (Hey, some guns are picky about ammo).  Ideally you should shoot a lot of your new ammo, but...

If you only shoot nine new rounds for functionality, that will leave you with one full mag of second-best ammo. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:02:23 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
Can't afford a backup gun yet :(

I will have to get another box of ammo when I can.  Seems like 9mm is plentiful again....at least seems like it so I should be able to find another box soon.  I am going shooting tomorrow, so I will throw some of that new stuff down range for poopeys and puns.

It wouldn't be the best for me to just assume they will work fine even though all the things I have read say they work just fine in a Glock 19.  But obviously that isn't MY Glock 19.  I need another box anyways so it's not like I have to buy extra just to shoot it.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
Why not dutch load for effectiveness?  I've heard the argument for alternating loads for different capabilities?

I only carry SD rounds in my firearms, so haven't completely bought into the argument.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:51:46 PM »
Why not dutch load for effectiveness?
How would alternately using second-best ammo increase effectiveness here?
I've heard the argument for alternating loads for different capabilities?
Not by any competent firearms instructor.  ;D   What are some examples where Dutch loading would be used?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »
What are some examples where Dutch loading would be used?

Not that I agree with this, BUT.  There is an ammo that separates into 3 pieces on a tether line increasing the chances of connecting with the target.  It will separate and the centrifugal force spreads it out to about a foot thus decreasing the chances of missing.  Obviously the impact will be less but the idea is that the attacker will likely be hit and possibly disoriented or injured or panicked into not being able to continue their assault.  You are supposed to load 2-3 rounds into your magazine then have regular SD ammo behind them.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
There is an ammo that separates into 3 pieces on a tether line increasing the chances of connecting with the target.

Does any self-defense shotgun instructor recommend using this ammo rather than just buckshot or slugs?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »
How would alternately using second-best ammo increase effectiveness here?  Not by any competent firearms instructor.  ;D   What are some examples where Dutch loading would be used?
As it was suggested, alternating between SD HP and SD ball ammo.  Explanation, especially in the winter, hp can be significantly slowed down by winter clothing, where solid would pierce through the winter wear.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:44 PM »
Hollow points are to prevent over penetration. If heavy clothing is a concern, use a heavier HP. I do, however, get a chuckle over the boutique ammo that comes with the hollow point 'preclogged' with rubber baby buggy bumpers. I can't see how preclogged HPs perform better than an HP 'clogged' with the bad guys parka....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
i have 3 mags. they usually consist of winchester ranger t series and fed hst. i mix and match some of the time. some times just hst, sometimes just ranger t. both rounds shoot just fine from my gun and i have no issues at all with mixing.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 12:50:07 AM »
Don't dutch load.  I seriously doubt you are going to count rounds; I know I'm not.  I want all my rounds to perform equally.  Single threat, I practice double-tap with follow up.  With multiple threats, I practice double-taps only.  The Dutch load style of alternating the 3,6,9,12 round doesn't work for me.

Having said that, after firing 40 Gold Dots, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what the last 6 rounds were.  My only requirement would be that I know they go bang and lead goes downrange.

Consider a Glock 26 if you get a BUG.  I carry a G17 and a G26.  That subcompact loves the large mags.  ;D
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Mixing different defense ammo in same magazine.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 04:38:30 AM »
Don't dutch load.  I seriously doubt you are going to count rounds; I know I'm not.  I want all my rounds to perform equally.  Single threat, I practice double-tap with follow up.  With multiple threats, I practice double-taps only.  The Dutch load style of alternating the 3,6,9,12 round doesn't work for me.

Having said that, after firing 40 Gold Dots, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what the last 6 rounds were.  My only requirement would be that I know they go bang and lead goes downrange.

Consider a Glock 26 if you get a BUG.  I carry a G17 and a G26.  That subcompact loves the large mags.  ;D

It all depends on what type of threat you think you may face & what you think will be needed to escape. (Remember, that is the objective - leave alive, the rest is static background noise.). For the average person, defensive ammo will be fine in most cases. For someone who may face attackers behind barriers such as car doors etc...then some rounds that have more penetrating properties may be desirable.

As to the choice of BUGs that can use the same mags as their primary carry big brother pistols, that's just smart! Plus the g26/g27 etc all give you the flexibility to morph between small, medium, and larger magazine's in their respective calibers when you desire. Xgrip makes fine spacers for many glock  mags. +1 to you. You are a smart man to use the versatility of the "Lego" gun. Pretty? No! Modular yes! ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:14 AM »
ranger-t comes in a bonded round. good for barriers :)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
I have a G19 currently as my carry gun, and I was thinking of getting a G17 as my NEW carry gun with the 19 as a backup.  I have also considered getting another 19 as a backup gun.  I am not sure if I want to go down to something the size of a 26 but that is always an option.

The highest probability would be getting the 17 to use as a new primary and then my 19 as a backup.  The only issue is that my G19 mags wouldn't fit into the 17, but I could of course put the G17 mags into the 19. I would just have to buy a few extra.  I would likely just keep ONE G19 mag inside of the G19, I wouldn't bother with a 17 mag with an extender in it then defeat the purpose of it's size.

G17 + 2 spare mags and a G19 (backup) sounds pretty good to me.  Good thing I am hitting up the gym with all this extra weight in firearms and ammo :p

NOW do you guys OC your backup gun too?  I am just curious.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
nope i CC my BUG depending on how im carrying my primary its either in a Aliengear on backside of waist, or ankle holster if my sd is in the AG made for it on my backside already

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Mixing different defense ammo in same magazine.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
Carrying mixed ammo is better than carrying less ammo. I'd stick the best stop on top to be used first.

Carrying only your best ammo is better than carrying mixed ammo.

I'd think this all would be common sense?

In short, buy more good ammo.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:27:18 PM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »

I'f think this all would be common sense?

Perhaps there isn't much going on in a forum and one might think of a way to interact with people and see how they feel about something out of curiosity.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
NOW do you guys OC your backup gun too? 

Only at BBQs when I do it "on purpose." Otherwise I CC my BUG.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:40:46 PM by gryphon »

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
NOW do you guys OC your backup gun too?  I am just curious.

My BUG is always on my ankle.  While in a vehicle, it is far more accessible than the primary on my hip.

Open Carry and Ankle Carry don't go well together.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
My BUG is always on my ankle.  While in a vehicle, it is far more accessible than the primary on my hip.

Open Carry and Ankle Carry don't go well together.

Nice set of Capri's would be rockin