Author Topic: Question from a resident of the NW region who OCes.  (Read 8882 times)

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Question from a resident of the NW region who OCes.
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
I will let him pose the question!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Re: Question from a resident of the NW region who OCes.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
Thank you Ryan..

Will anyone be coordinating any events near Petoskey? Boyne Mountain? Gaylord?

Summer will be the best chance since we have traffic up here from Vacationers. It would be a nice way to send the vacations back home with a fond memory, and potential new members. Remembering that while they are relaxed, and at peace with the environment is a far better time to expose them than back home with the hustle and bustle of work, the kids, Doctors appointments and traffic...

Bailenforcer

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
I am thinking Jays of Gaylord, or Petoskey dunhams, ect...  or a nice park setting near a major highway like US 131, Interstate 75?

Offline spikedawg

• weidman michigan
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
that would be great to get something going up this way. i am willing to help any way i can, i work 50 to 60 hours a week but am willing to help. it seems as though we are forgotten about up here, never any events, seminars or anything in central or northern part of the state. if anyone wants to attend a moc event or picnic we have to make a 3 to 4 hundred mile round trip. maybe we don't matter as much this far north because we're not among the mass's  ???
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:20:56 PM by spikedawg »

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
I will give you a tip! And i mean this in all sincerity!

Events start with the members. You plan one with a few other like minded folks. Then ask your coordinator for thoughts. If you wish it to be a MOC sponsored event then get with your coordinator about that. You will need to give at least 30 days notice so that our media director can promote your event.

If you have more questions I will be glad to try and answer them. But first contact your coordinator and see what he can do to help you.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline spikedawg

• weidman michigan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »
that sounds like a great idea ! so who's the cordinator for this region and i will be glad to contact them.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
that sounds like a great idea ! so who's the cordinator for this region and i will be glad to contact them.
Contact info for MOC, Inc.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline spikedawg

• weidman michigan
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:36:08 AM »
thanks for the info, now lets see if we can get something going

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
Jays in Clare is also a good place to have an event. I believe you guys were there once already and its practically 3/4 of a mile off I-127
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Well Clare isn't North West Michigan. Gaylord isn't either it falls under North East Michigan but I might still consider a trip there.

Petoskey, Boyne Falls, Boyne City, Mancelona, Traverse City, and well you all get the picture.

Traverse City is large but Uber liberal. Remember the Supreme court fight over the gay rights bumper stickers the Traverse City manager tried to force the Police dept to wear?

Petoskey is conservative to middle of the road. I never had one problem O.C.ing there, and might work.

Boyne City might work as well as that whole area. They have a cute park right in Boyne City and might like the increased buying traffic.

Mancelona I am not sure of if there's a park or place to have a Picnic.

Okay I threw out some ideas, anyone else?

Let's keep this alive.

Jays in Clare is also a good place to have an event. I believe you guys were there once already and its practically 3/4 of a mile off I-127

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
Might want to check that last statement about Clare.

http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/regionmap.jpg

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »
I have no clue why the map is drawn in such a silly fashion and dips way south to include a couple of counties so far from the center of the area, but my original question that started this thread stays the same. I think We have a Traverse City coordinator. Frankly driving almost 300 miles isn't in the cards for most people.

Might want to check that last statement about Clare.

http://www.miopencarry.org/moc_files/regionmap.jpg

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 12:04:49 AM »
I personally think it needs to be redrawn... but that is just me... have you ever looked at the SW region  :o ??? ::)

Offline emt805

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 12:36:44 AM »
I personally think it needs to be redrawn... but that is just me... have you ever looked at the SW region  :o ??? ::)

Until I looked at the map I was thinking I was in the SE region but looking at the map and how big and far apart the SW region appears, is there enough member base to split it or something?

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 01:17:38 AM »
I think there needs to be a "Central" region and that would help out a lot.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »
I don't think there is enough member base to split the region...YET but I do think that long part that goes way up the west side should be part of the NW region...

I have 3 Deputy Coordinators covering the Eastern half of my region. 1 in Lansing, Battle Creek and Jackson. So that part is fine.. and right now the membership numbers in the SW region are rather low. Hopefully once I starty Seminars in the Fall and Winter we will pick up some membership in the SW region.

Anyway you guys need to get ahold of Scott in the NW region and let him know you are willing to help him get some things going. Don't just rely on the forum to notify him!

Offline acltear

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
fyi, in Traverse City we have already had at least 2 open carry picnics that I know of with great success.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »
Hello, folks, long time no see. Sorry about not replying earlier, super busy, and techincal problems now resolved. I was thinking October/November for an informational Seminar @ the Traverse City Gander Mtn. I have a few other ideas as well. I would love to hear from any one willing to hold their own seminar north or south of here in this region. Petoskey, Charlevoix, Manistee.
Just to be different, any one interested in putting on a haunted house for a fundraiser/informational event?
The Discerning Shootist
"Protecting  the world from evil, one student at a time."

Offline T.J.

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): T.J.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
I Live in Gaylord and I have not come across any oc's up here.  I oc sometimes and have never had an issue.  I would love to have an event up here.  I spread the word as much as I can but folks are reluctant to oc themselves.  If there are any oc's around here, p.m. me and we can get together for lunch or something. 8)

Offline Yosemite Sam

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
Hello T.J.,
   My name is Yosemite Sam, I live in St. Helen Michigan. I open carry all the time. Even when I make a trip up to Gaylord.  We had a get together in West Branch in November at G's Pizzeria. Don't get up to Gaylord that often but maybe we can get together one of these day's!! Pm me to set something up!!