Author Topic: So MCRGO doesn't support Open Carry?  (Read 24374 times)

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
Re: So MCRGO doesn't support Open Carry?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
MCRGO is doing a set of OC pieces on their FB page again, and Brady posted this-

"Please note that MCRGO as a coalition is neutral on the concept of open carry."

How can this be? How can one of the major gun rights groups in MI not support 1 of the 2 legal forms of handgun carry? They are doing joint picnics with us, helping with court cases, and I know Brady supports OC, so what is stopping them from "supporting" OC officially?

Personally, I think it makes us look a little silly to be holding joint events with them when they don't even officially support what we stand for.
And please don't tell me "neutral doesn't mean they don't support it. "
Guess thats kind of like how MOC doesn't support the OC of long guns but yet a long gun is still a firearm... Is this because MOC thinks it looks bad to the public? Well I have news for you... The public doesn't seem to be good with any form of OC handgun or longun alike... I am curious though why MOC really frowns on the legal OC of a longun. Opinions please...

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
I'd like to help clarify. MOC supports to right to carry a long gun. You will never see us backing a bill in Lansing that attempts to outlaw it. What MOC does not do is advocate for it. Meaning we focus our efforts and resources strictly on the area of open carrying a holstered pistol. Because we have maintained this focus we have helped advance open carry of pistols greatly in Michigan. Will there come a time down the road when we open our focus up to long guns as well? Possibly. But until then we cannot be all things to all people. 

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:31 PM »
I'd like to help clarify. MOC supports to right to carry a long gun. You will never see us backing a bill in Lansing that attempts to outlaw it. What MOC does not do is advocate for it. Meaning we focus our efforts and resources strictly on the area of open carrying a holstered pistol. Because we have maintained this focus we have helped advance open carry of pistols greatly in Michigan. Will there come a time down the road when we open our focus up to long guns as well? Possibly. But until then we cannot be all things to all people.
Thanks for helping clarify. So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. it would be OK and NOT frowned upon to show up at a picnic carrying a longun? OK to show up to an open carry march with a longun? Just asking because I know some people that like to carry longuns from time to time and want to make sure I am conveying the correct message to them. I am for it as well but I think it has its time and place but like I said if someone showed up at a picnic etc would this be frowned upon or not. By yousaying MOC supports it but doesnt advocate for it tells me that it would NOT be frowned upon do I have this right? Again just would like to know the real truth behind logun carry and MOC supporting it. By me supporting something to me means I am OK with it...

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
In order to not confuse the issue and stray form our core we respectfully ask our members and guests to not carry long guns at our events. There can be 50 people with holstered pistols on at an event but soon as one long gun shows up it instantly changes the focus. This is based on past experience.  I and many other MOC members have carried long guns at the 2A March in Lansing.  That is an all encompassing event so lgoc is more than welcome there.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:04:51 PM by scot623 »

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
In order to not confuse the issue and stray form our core we respectfully ask our members and guests to not carry long guns at our events. There can be 50 people with holstered pistols on at an event but soon as one long gun shows up it instantly changes the focus. This is based on past experience.  I and many other MOC members have carried long guns at the 2A March in Lansing.  That is an all encompassing event so lgoc is more than welcome there.
OK I think I understand  :-\

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

:yeahthat:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
... show up at a picnic carrying a longun?...I know some people that like to carry longuns from time to time

Can I ask a question just for my own edification?  Why do some of your friends like to carry long guns rather than wear pistols openly?

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »
Can I ask a question just for my own edification?  Why do some of your friends like to carry long guns rather than wear pistols openly?
Are you insinuating that there is no real good reason to OC a longun? I am assuming they like to carry OC for the same reason's you or any other respectable MOC Member would but I can ask them and be sure to let you know.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »

Because our is a form of protest. Which is what oc at its core is. Keeping in mind, the revolution was not won with pistols. It was won with long guns

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
Because our is a form of protest. Which is what oc at its core is. Keeping in mind, the revolution was not won with pistols. It was won with long guns

#1 - please proof read your posts. Most are hard to read.

#2 - the question was directed specifically at someone else. LGOC discussion has been granted some leeway, but that does not mean it is not still restricted.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Are you insinuating that there is no real good reason to OC a longun? I am assuming they like to carry OC for the same reason's you or any other respectable MOC Member would but I can ask them and be sure to let you know.

No, but I didn't want to assume anything, so that's why I asked.  So yes, if you have an opportunity to ask them and let me know what they say, I'd appreciate it.  I am often asked by the public about people carrying long guns, and without making assumptions myself I often don't have any solid answers.  In the case of Texas, I know the answer.  In the case of Michigan, I often don't.

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
No, but I didn't want to assume anything, so that's why I asked.  So yes, if you have an opportunity to ask them and let me know what they say, I'd appreciate it.  I am often asked by the public about people carrying long guns, and without making assumptions myself I often don't have any solid answers.  In the case of Texas, I know the answer.  In the case of Michigan, I often don't.
No problem I get back to you...

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »
Supported but restricted?

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
#1 - please proof read your posts. Most are hard to read.

#2 - the question was directed specifically at someone else. LGOC discussion has been granted some leeway, but that does not mean it is not still restricted.
MOC says they support it but its restricted? Confused...

Offline Jeff

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »
MOC would PREFER NOT discuss LGOC but you still may do so.

It's like Chipotle up in here!!

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 12:30:53 AM »
OC at its core is not a form of protest for me. In fact it is quite the opposite for myself. It is a form of compliance. I carry a pistol because it is the most convenient tool for me to utilize as a self defense tool.

LGOC is not convenient for me as a common tool for self defense. In fact, it is by far too inconvenient to be utilized on a regular basis. However, as a tool to exercise my 1A right about my 2A right, it is useful. That's about all it is good for.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »
MOC says they support it but its restricted? Confused...
It is a distraction from our main agenda. We prefer to leave the subject to others more knowledgeable about the laws surrounding the practice. That shouldn't be confusing.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
OC at its core is not a form of protest for me. In fact it is quite the opposite for myself. It is a form of compliance. I carry a pistol because it is the most convenient tool for me to utilize as a self defense tool.

LGOC is not convenient for me as a common tool for self defense. In fact, it is by far too inconvenient to be utilized on a regular basis. However, as a tool to exercise my 1A right about my 2A right, it is useful. That's about all it is good for.

what law are you complying to?