Author Topic: Give up my 2A rights to visit family?  (Read 6919 times)

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
Give up my 2A rights to visit family?
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:48:29 PM »
I'm planning to visit friends and family up in Michigan in June.  Will be staying a couple days with my mother.  But she has kind of said she doesn't want any guns around her, knowing my views and that I own and carry.  My father was a WWII Navy vet, and though he was kind of an expert during the war, he never kept a gun in the house as I was growing up.  I never understood that, though we lived in a nice area of Ann Arbor.  Anyways, when staying with my mother, I will have a very hard time dis-arming myself just to enter her house.  I can carry concealed due to my Texas CHL (CPL), and maybe I should just keep my mouth shut cause she won't even know.  Or maybe I should let her know, so she can re-confirm and I'll know for sure if she really doesn't want me to bring my firearm into the house.  If that's the case, I'll have to find an alternative place to stay - cause I don't give up my 2A rights even for my own mom haha. 

Any thoughts on the topic?  I'd be curious to hear similar situations, and I'm open to recommendations.

Offline Jeff

Re: Give up my 2A rights to visit family?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »
Hey mom, I will be armed while I am here, is that going to be okay, or should I get a hotel?  GUILT TRIP!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
She already knows your views on guns.  In this case I'd probably just CC.  It is your mom, after all.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
but we also need to take in account that it is private property. being said, the propety owners rules should be considered. if she does not allow guns on her property there is an issue. it is up to you but i would bring. keep in my car locked up and carry when not on her property. i would hate to have a family feud start or something as simple as carrying a gun you are licensed to carry but we all know how family can get. something little becomes something big in 2.1 seconds flat lol

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »
but we also need to take in account that it is private property. being said, the propety owners rules should be considered.

It's his mom!  She's not going to have him trespassed!

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »
Mom, would you feel safer if I used a lock box while my firearm is in the house?

If necessary to keep peace, I would not bring the firearm into the house with mom.  My mom's been gone for two years now, my Mother in Law will be passing in the next few weeks.  There are some things not worth taking a stand on.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »
Mom, would you feel safer if I used a lock box while my firearm is in the house?

I would just "don't ask, don't tell."

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
James, I have a somewhat similar occurrence. I was traveling from Az to Mi and decided it was time to visit family in MN. When I arrived at my Brothers house, my Sister-in-law saw my holstered pistol and asked "is that a real gun" - yes, then  "you can't bring that in the house" . Now this is where orus stories are different, I had not known she was anti, heck she allows my nephews to play witha all sorts of toy guns!

I decided at that point I would lock it up in the car "for now", I went back in and explained how and why it was safer with me than being in my car. I also used this to tell her how I could teach her children gun saftey etc. It ended up that all I had to do was tell her I would not have it loaded while in the house. I don't know why she seemed okay with that but it worked. On this trip I had my nephews point their toy guns at me and when I explained that wasn't allowable in my eyes my Sister-in-law told me "there only toys".

Long story short- nephews don't point toy guns at anybody, I carry while at my brothers house and the whole family is much more familiar with gun safety. Next, get her to the range...

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
Dan, yeah I agree with you.  It was a passing comment, so it may well be a "don't ask, don't tell" program I'll be on.  Tom, thanks for your recommendations too... might just have to take that gun safe inside just in case.  Education won't work cause it already hasn't haha.  She's great with me having guns, and actually agrees with me on the whole issue.  Just "not in my backyard" is all...

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:34:27 AM »
Are you driving?  If you are driving just keep it in the car.

Offline onnie0047@gmail.com

• MOC Leadership
    • Randys Old Time Radio Shows
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
My whole family knows I open carry they all know I carry my gun(s) 24/7 when outside my house (inside, one is always within reach).  Ive never "asked" permission, but out of respect for my anti-guns family members, i CC when inside their homes.  But its a very large gun under my shirt so everyone know it there because its obvious from the outline and of course if someone asked i do tell them.  Even my Cop nephew fakes frisks me as a joke to see if and guess at what gun I am carrying, i automatically go to his ankle and almost always find his widow maker hanging there. 

I choose not to open carry because its a family event, but i choose to carry because its a family event where i know at least one and sometime two of us will be armed.

as a foot note:  two years ago my niece had her wedding...one of my YOUNGER nieces was dancing with my nephew, the cop, they were slow dancing and got frightened because she brushed against something she though was a "gun".  Apparently, her mother confronted my nephew all upset he was wearing his gun....dahhhh he is a cop.....  My was on my side, under my shirt, printing bigger than life.....i waited for someone to mentioned it to me.....later I found out some family members knew I was carrying but non one mentioned it to this date with the exception of my brother when I questioned him on what happened with his son.

As for me if i was told to disarm or unload.......it would be the last time i step foot in their house until they change their views about "me" carrying in their house............

Im not very close to my siblings but a couple,  and to be fair Mom is long gone and all the siblings are all in our late 50's and 60's

sometimes we have an even at one very Anti in-law  in that case I conceal the conceal up very well.

for me, open carry is my choice of carry for self-protection, but its also me making a statement to the public...i don't need to do that with my family they all already know my position, but i won't risk my life for their anti-views, thus i choose to CC and not announce it out loud
I am not a Cop, nor a Lawyer, not even a Medical Doctor, but I did once play a Klingon at Universal Studios!

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Give up my 2A rights to visit family?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
She already knows your views on guns.  In this case I'd probably just CC.  It is your mom, after all.

She has her view and you have yours. Maybe in passing conversation you could bring up the point that: per national crime statistics, 100% of home invasions happen in the HOME! Not just homes in "bad" neighborhoods either. ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
It's his mom!  She's not going to have him trespassed!

An ANN ARBOR Mom might!! Ann Arbor is solid OBAMA country and all that he/they supports-or opposes.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
@OP

What do you value more?

Peace with your family or openly carrying at their house?

It's a personal choice. No one else's thoughts matter. When I go to my sister's house, I IWB with an untucked shirt.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
When I go to my sister's house, I IWB with an untucked shirt.
And everybody is happy ;)

My sister... I'd better not go there in case someone reads this!

Offline Ffrogg

• First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »
Her house and she has asked you not to carry by law you can not, not to mention the respect factor but ultimately it's your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk