Author Topic: Changes to Long Gun Open Carry Rule  (Read 4474 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Changes to Long Gun Open Carry Rule
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
The rules have been updated to reflect this change.

Recently, there have been a number of stories from Michigan and other states focusing on the topic of Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC). Good or bad, the events in these stories affect the efforts and goals of MOC. Last night the Board of Directors for Michigan Open Carry, Inc. voted to allow the discussion of such current events.

While MOC's focus is and will continue to be openly carried holstered handguns, we have decided to allow greater leeway when discussing the topic of Open Carry in general. However, due to our narrow focus, we feel we are ill equipped to answer questions about LGOC and suggest you seek the counsel of a skilled attorney should you have any.

Again, we ask that you please limit LGOC discussion to current events only and thank you in this regard.

This policy change is effective immediately.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
Re: Changes to Long Gun Open Carry Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:14 AM »
I think this is a good step forward! 

I believe there is a time and a place for everything, and  LGOC has a place.  Problem is most times that people LGOC, it is to attract a response from law enforcement and other citizens.  This creates conflict, and attention in places we rarely want attention. 

Most of us are adults here, and should be able to engage in conversation about LGOC without it getting out of hand or stirring the pot.  Thanks!
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
Here's a thought I read today.

If these bold, long gun open carry gatherings were to stop, you would soon witness the individual carrying in the open, going about his or her daily business, become the new target. These large gatherings act as a lightning rod for now, and they inform those who wanted to carry but did not know that it was legal. If these large gatherings stop then the individual OCing a handgun will be demonized and harassed even more.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »
Here's a thought I read today.

If these bold, long gun open carry gatherings were to stop, you would soon witness the individual carrying in the open, going about his or her daily business, become the new target. These large gatherings act as a lightning rod for now, and they inform those who wanted to carry but did not know that it was legal. If these large gatherings stop then the individual OCing a handgun will be demonized and harassed even more.

You might have a point there.
I do notice in most any discussion about LGOC, someone says something about OC of a handgun would be OK.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
The rule has been ammended:

7/15/2014:
If a discussion devolves into a debate about a debate about LGOC v not LGOC, it will be moved to the Ammo Dump, locked, deleted, or otherwise curtailed as many of us are tired of hearing the same debate on a regular basis.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).