Author Topic: “I’ll Only Be Out For A Few Minutes”  (Read 26528 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
“I’ll Only Be Out For A Few Minutes”
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 08:20:08 PM »

it was either that or don't put any rounds in my wifes gun at all.

Buy more...?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline birddseedd

Re: “I’ll Only Be Out For A Few Minutes”
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
That costs money

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
“I’ll Only Be Out For A Few Minutes”
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

That costs money

SMH

So you don't have enough $ for SD rounds yet you're going to take the risk of getting tripped up on a local ordinance for carrying a knife?!?

Brilliant!

I once knew a guy who couldn't afford ammo, but he picked a fight with a school by OCing there (he has a CPL) until they trespassed him -- then he was screwed because he couldn't go to functions at his kids schools because he couldn't afford a lawyer.

Shorts of it: for a guy that doesn't have the finances to buy SD ammo, you're sticking your fingers into a lot of legal snake pits. But you won't be able to afford the antidote to the venom if you get bitten -- brilliant.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »
Ah well, 9 is better than zero.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
You are probably right. but simply going to lunch, wont change the world. and i have a duty to my lil girl to make it better. maybe someday ill be able move past desperation. so far, i do not have the needed information to do so.

might be able to get some more defense ammo next month. Income this month has all gone to repairs, replacing stolen equipment. business. I still might only carry 9 rounds. i cant see using more than that. if i conceal i use wifes shield, and 9 is all i can take.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
I carried at a school once. noone said a thing.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
if i conceal i use wifes shield, and 9 is all i can take.

You're forgetting the spare mag(s).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:40 PM »
May you never get into a situation where you say "CRAP, 9 wasn't enough when you can carry 17+1"

panic, adrenaline, fear, pain leads to loss of fine motor control, which leads to many more misses than you think.  Your 9 might all be gone in one and a half seconds out of desperation and panic.  Not to debate magazine capacity, but at least carry your capacity when you can afford to buy more ammo.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
average gun fight in a civilian self defence situation uses 3 bullets. I have 300% above average. don't need more.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
You could just skip lunch a day or two and buy more rounds. I don't believe you when you say you can't afford 9 or 10 more rounds.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:42 PM »
average gun fight in a civilian self defence situation uses 3 bullets. I have 300% above average. don't need more.

Cite?

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »
They come in boxes of 25.

unless wife makes me cheap lunches, I do skip lunch, jsut bout 130 bucks worth of tools i couldn't afford. they were a needed investment tho, so ill have to scrape by.

Ill pay off a few vendors with what i get the rest of the month, next month i should meat my break even point, more or less.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
Cite?

The cop that taught my cpl class. i don't remember his name.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
the MINIMUM shots fired is 3 not the average, the minimum.

But the biggest mistake is listening to a cop about.....anything.

Just recently, the gas station clerk that was assaulted, he fired 10 just himself.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 09:13:03 PM »
May you never get into a situation where you say "CRAP, 9 wasn't enough when you can carry 17+1"

this is an unarguable fact, i hope it never happens, course, i hope i never use the first round.

panic, adrenaline, fear, pain leads to loss of fine motor control, which leads to many more misses than you think.  Your 9 might all be gone in one and a half seconds out of desperation and panic.  Not to debate magazine capacity, but at least carry your capacity when you can afford to buy more ammo.

this is a little more arguable. Fighter jet pilots do not lose fine motor skills. why is this? its because they train under stress. I am considering starting a company that does training for people in real life situations with real guns (non lethal ammo obviously) which would put them in that stress situation, and training in that stress situation helps you train your fine motor skills, the same as a jet pilot training in a high stress situation.

i'm also considering starting a subway.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 09:15:34 PM »
the MINIMUM shots fired is 3 not the average, the minimum.

But the biggest mistake is listening to a cop about.....anything.

Just recently, the gas station clerk that was assaulted, he fired 10 just himself.

means i'm still 300 percent above minimum.

i dunno if it makes any difference in this conversation, but i did load some fmj's to fill up my mag some month or two ago. dunno if i always will. for the most part iv only carried the 9 rounds.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
Well, you know yourself best.  Maybe you can train for the stresses of an encounter, the real thing will always be different though.  Training is always a very good thing and so is the right mind frame.  A clear focused confident calm mind is your best asset.  If you feel that 9 is all you want to carry then so be it, I would still stress that at least load it to capacity.  The gun was designed to hold 18 then why short yourself.  You are never going to hear someone say "I wish I had less bullets in my gun" after having to use it.

The weight of 9 more rounds isn't very significant even if you do have to load some standard FMJ's behind your Self Defense rounds.

Hopefully you grow an old man and die having never fired at another person and statistically that's probably how it will go but since it does happen to people daily, it's always good to be prepared.

I have 4 fully loaded AR mags, and 4 fully loaded G19 mags where I sleep.  I doubt I will ever need any of that but I certainly don't want to have to load mags if something horrible happens and not have enough ammo ready to use.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
its possible ill change my mind when i can pickup a few boxes of SD rounds.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
One time, I ran out of SD rounds and had to load some assault rounds into my clips.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »
Jeff said it quite well... You never meet someone who deployed a firearm in a defensive situation that wished they had fewer rounds than what they had.  Or say extra training wasn't worth it.

I went to the store today.  I had 49 rounds, 6 magazines, and 2 pistols. (I was carrying light)  When I go to a range, I shoot 10-17 rounds of defense ammo from each pistol I carry.  They are in defensive drills, not plinking.  Why?  Because the shoot differently, ballistics and recoil.  There are no do-overs for defensive situations.  My daughters, wife, and I have one shot at life. 

A range trip costs me about $100 in ammo a month.  Life insurance may take care of my family, but it doesn't touch the void left behind.  I decided safety is paramount and live accordingly.  So take some time to consider why you carry.  Think about the OP and what can happen when "I'll only be out for a few minutes."
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36