Author Topic: Drove through Il.  (Read 4895 times)

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Drove through Il.
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
This past weekend I went to visit family in eastern Wi. and had to drive through Il. Of course I was carrying and knew I had no plans on stopping while there (why leave my gun?). Everything went well. OC'd while getting gas and munchies in Indiana and Wisconsin. OC'd around my family and had no issues the whole trip.

But, I was thinking, what would you do if while carrying in Il. you get pulled over by the police and asked to step out of your car? Pull gun from holster to leave in car? You would have to lock our car at that point correct? what if they then want to search? Can't step out with it on. Refuse until other officers are there to witness you disarming?

This had me going through scenarios in my head the whole way.

Offline Jeff

Re: Drove through Il.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
I believe I would go into transport mode before entering and go back to carry mode after leaving.

I guess if you took your firearm off and hid it while gathering up your registration and such and the cop didn't think you were hiding anything AND lied and said you have no firearms in the vehicle you COULD get away with it but I'm sure there would be a pretty stiff penalty for doing all that and getting caught.

Probably best not to put yourself into a situation like that where you may be doing something wrong.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
Jeff,  the new law in Illinois recognizes carry permits from other states and allows you to carry a loaded handgun in your car.... but you need an Illinois license to get out of the car.

Tuc, I think I would advise the officer that I was carrying and see how he wanted to proceed.  I'm sure you will have your voice recorder going if your are ever stopped!   :)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
Oh, nice.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
Because of so many possible scenarios in Ill. (Say there is a crowd and you need your car towed and have to suddenly stay at a hotel)
I always advises people to keep their empty gun case in the front seat with them.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
Because of so many possible scenarios in Ill. (Say there is a crowd and you need your car towed and have to suddenly stay at a hotel)
I always advises people to keep their empty gun case in the front seat with them.

This is what I did. I figured I would be covered "just in case".

Sorry to see this topic didn't translate into more of a discussion though.

doesch

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »
I'm not sure a case is enough;If the non-resident leaves leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. It sounds like the case must be locker OR the car must be locked, it seems like a locking case is the only way to avoid any doubt. I'd hate to get out and attempt to lock the vehicle only to be arrested for having a gun in an unlocked car... maybe I'm just too distrustful of IL  ;)

Also it seems that you do not have to disclose you are carrying a firearm:

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?

“NO”

(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:

(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a
traffic stop, of a licensee who is carrying a concealed firearm, upon the request of the officer the licensee
shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, present the
license upon the request of the officer, and identify the location of the concealed firearm.

That said on I'll make sure my locking case is under my seat, my recorder will be on, and I won't break any traffic laws and if I am stopped I won't bring up the issue... from that point I don't see how an issue could reasonably occur. I never stop in IL anyway I'd rather get to IA or WI and give my money to residents of those states and at locations where I'm able to defend myself.