Author Topic: got sheriff called me in iosco county this weekend  (Read 21895 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: got sheriff called me in iosco county this weekend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
yes and my cpl permits me. but what i think the debate is if they are able to do a stop and check for cpl

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »
On the water while fishing they can check you at any time.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
On the water while fishing they can check you at any time.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

What for? Fishing license? That's what I was wondering.

I'm not a big fisher, so I don't know much about fishing regs.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
Notice I cited MCL 750.227c
I know and you over looked this:(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

This only applies to long guns that our CPL's don't cover anyway. I believe someone without a cpl could not be charged with the specific 750.227c but would be charged with 750.227.

I don't know DNR laws either. Question: If fishing do authority's have the right to check for more than just a fishing license? Say proof of auto insurance.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:56:31 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
I know and you over looked this:(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

This only applies to long guns that our CPL's don't cover anyway. I believe someone without a cpl could not be charged with the specific 750.227c but would be charged with 750.227.

I don't know DNR laws either. Question: If fishing do authority's have the right to check for more than just a fishing license? Say proof of auto insurance.

ive had dnr check my boat regisitration numbers and tags. as well as my license and all the fish we had in the livewells and on stringers to ensure they were of legal size for keeping

doesch

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
Isn't TAYLOR, v. MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL the case where it was decided the DNR is above the 4th amendment because you only have a 4th Amendment right if "harm" is done to you. I think the pig farmers in this case could agree "harm" was done: http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2012/04/michigan_dnr_responds_to_alleg.html .

I also really liked the justification for the new licenses too, "the old fishing license was too hard to enforce" "every other state in the mid west has higher hunting prices other than Ohio (so raise prices)" These new taxes won't put deer in the fields or fish in the water but more CO's who think they don't need a warrant.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Autosurgeon beat me to it. But I will elaborate slightly.

Because SD40VE was fishing, he could be stopped.
It may also be argued, and I would anticipate successfully, that SD40VE was required to disclose because he was carrying in (upon) a vehicle. On the waterways the rules of engagement are a bit different than the roadways. A safety inspection can be performed at any time. This is a stop.

The deputy was being straight forward about his reason for the encounter. He could have utilized one of the other reasons to justify the stop.

Which way would you like it to be?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
he was up front with why they came out. i can respect him for that, he could have been a mondo douche and beat around the bush trying to pry information out of me. it was quick and simple and he was on his way. could have gone alot worse

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
im guessing it was a man with a gun. he didnt say exactly why he just said someone was concerned and called them about me and he wanted to make sure everything was in line id assume. i know when they dispatch someone they have their investigation to do. this kind of reminds me of the video where someone was OC and they saw cops in the parking lot.cops said something they said they were OC because its legal. then when he went to the truch they asked about his permit to conceal. since i was in a boat with a motor OC wouldnt that be justifiable in making sure i have a CPL since its a restricted area for only cpl holders?

This is probably a "kinda old thread" but in the situation described I wonder--

Did the LIO call the 'complainer' back and say the "guy with the gun is OK?" Why not, if a no answer??

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
This is probably a "kinda old thread" but in the situation described I wonder--

Did the LIO call the 'complainer' back and say the "guy with the gun is OK?" Why not, if a no answer??
Probably not. Often times callers will tell the dispatcher that they do not want to be contacted.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
Probably not. Often times callers will tell the dispatcher that they do not want to be contacted.

yeah if he did touch back with the inital caller it was after he left me

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:28 PM »

When I would call the police on the drug dealer that lived below me, I always specified I didn't want contact.  But that was for my safety. 

On a side note, the resident is serving life in Marquette Michigan for parole violations, keeping a house of ill-fame, possession of 125 grams of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.  Third time habitual offender.  Ouch!
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »

When I would call the police on the drug dealer that lived below me, I always specified I didn't want contact.  But that was for my safety. 

On a side note, the resident is serving life in Marquette Michigan for parole violations, keeping a house of ill-fame, possession of 125 grams of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute.  Third time habitual offender.  Ouch!

Why call the cops on an otherwise honest entrepreneur? Were he and/or his customers/business associates loud?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
Why call the cops on an otherwise honest entrepreneur? Were he and/or his customers/business associates loud?

because drugs are bad mmmkay

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »
because drugs are bad mmmkay

Bad for whom?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Bad for whom?

its a line from south park lol. just being a smart ass

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
Bad for whom?

Bad for the people that overdose and die, bad for the people that are killed or injured in car accidents caused by people on drugs, bad for the people that are robbed by people that want money for drugs, bad for the school children that take drugs and have the chemicals changed in their developing brain, bad for the "otherwise honest entrepreneur" that gets gunned down by a not so honest competitor, bad for me and the value of my house because of all of the "drug houses" in my neighborhood, bad for the thousands of Mexicans that are kidnapped or murdered every year by the drug cartels......... This is just a quick list from the "top of my head".   I would contend that drugs are bad for a whole lot of people.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I would contend that illegal drugs are bad for a whole lot of people.
FIFY

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
part deux, you don't need to fix it for me.  I'm happy with how I worded it. 

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
It's not as if banning or legalizing a substance magically makes it healthy or unhealthy.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?