Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods  (Read 3845 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Dick's Sporting Goods
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »
Sent to MOC in a message on FB:

I want to start by saying I know I should not have gone into this store, but we were heading out on a family camping trip and I was looking for a peice of great none of the othe sporting goods stores in town had. I went into Dick's Sporting Goods open carrying. I have open carried in most of the stores in Mt. Pleasant and never had a problem. I go to a store that sells guns and I was informed that because of store policy all open guns coming into the store have to be locked at the front counter. Now to be fair the manager was not mean or nasty about it, in fact he seemed to disagree with "corprate" policy. He said he has a cpl and personally did not care. He even said I could carry concealed in the store. Turns out I did see one of the things I was looking for in the store but needless to say I did not purchase it, and I will not be setting foot back in a Dick's Sporting Goods.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
FB message is almost as good as turning into the wind to expel excess liquid.  Send a snail mail letter to the CEO... the buck stops with him.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Moderator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
A number of gun owners are boycotting Dicks because of their decision to stop selling "assault weapons" after Sandy Hook.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
I oc'ed in the one in Portage a few months back and had three employees just say "may I help you".

The only problem I have read on another site was if you buy ammo there they want all your personal information.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:53:20 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »
A number of gun owners are boycotting Dicks because of their decision to stop selling "assault weapons" after Sandy Hook.

I am one of these people.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »

dicks still has the largest selection of hunting guns in my area. gander is a bit of a drive and dicks is just down the road... i guess ill join in the boycott and drive myself to gander and hope they have the selection dicks does

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
I had an employee at dicks tell me he was a reserve officer (don't remember where) and he told me that if someone is open carrying they are doing something wrong.

I have two close options to my house as far as buying ammo.  Dunhams which charges $14.99 for 20 rounds of .223.  Dicks charges $9.99. (exact same American eagle black box)  Good thing there is the internet.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »
So am I. I haven't set foot in their store since Sandy Hook, wish all gun owners would do the same, maybe then they would get the message.

Last I heard, they were opening their "Field and Stream" stores (owned by Dicks) and were going to sell homeland defense rifles there, but they have lost me for good.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
I had an employee at dicks tell me he was a reserve officer (don't remember where) and he told me that if someone is open carrying they are doing something wrong.
Of course they are and the police are required to check it out and run your ID to make sure you're not a wanted criminal.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
I had to go into Dicks when they opened the Portage store. Now that it is mentioned I guess I knew there was reason I didn't really want to go. But I also OC'd there and had no issues, can't say I looked for a sign or had any idea there don't allow OC.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
I had to go into Dicks when they opened the Portage store. Now that it is mentioned I guess I knew there was reason I didn't really want to go. But I also OC'd there and had no issues, can't say I looked for a sign or had any idea there don't allow OC.

never had an issue OC at dicks in chesterfield.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
never had an issue OC at dicks in chesterfield.
One of the few places, ehh Brad?  :hide:
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
lol across the parking lot at best buy. not so lucky.... but dicks is smooth sailing. only place i ever had a neg encounter was that best buy

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
lol across the parking lot at best buy. not so lucky.... but dicks is smooth sailing. only place i ever had a neg encounter was that best buy
...and the National Coney Island.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »
they never kicked me out of NCI. just when i asked about an event they said they would prefer not to have a lot of armed people. but then again you had more luck than me. i think it might be because i look young. i have no clue. or if that lady was even the manager. who knows. they never asked me to leave or anything.

Offline Langenc

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
I know it is bad tyo generalize but some say the name should be DICKS SPORTING GOODS.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 11:09:44 PM »
I know it is bad tyo generalize but some say the name should be DICKS SPORTING GOODS.

It's also bad to necro post. 
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36