Author Topic: Hilton anti-gun  (Read 6189 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Hilton anti-gun
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
I travel for work a fair amount.  (I spent 80 days out of town in hotels last year).  I am out of town in Kansas City for work right now.  I typically stay in Marriott chains (Courtyard, Renaissance Inn, etc.), mostly because their hotel point system used to be significantly better than Hilton's.  The Marriott hotel I typically stay at in KC was booked, so am staying in a Hilton Embassy Suites.  This is on the front door:

This hotel is overrun with military people, too.  This is a large hotel, eight floors, so maybe the military uses it a lot for their service people.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the No Concealed Firearms sign, because I have never noticed a "no guns" sign on any other Hilton I've stayed at.  Kansas City is a big military town.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Hilton anti-gun
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
Looks like it's time to OC.

Seriously though I can't say I've seen one posted either.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
I haven't been able to locate the law it cites.  Google isn't finding it.

I've stayed at the Hilton in downtown KC and it didn't have a no guns sign when I was there last summer.  Maybe it does now, though. 

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
Looks like it's time to OC.

Seriously though I can't say I've seen one posted either.

missouri might not have the rules like michigan... maybe he cant oc. either way its private property so they can ban if they choose i would assume

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
either way its private property so they can ban if they choose i would assume

Some states have laws prohibiting hotels from banning firearms, as a hotel is an extension of your home.  I do not believe Missouri is one of those states.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »
I used Bing.
Looks like Hilton is anti and used the legal sign.

"(15) Any private property whose owner has posted the premises as being off-limits to concealed firearms by means of one or more signs displayed in a conspicuous place of a minimum size of eleven inches by fourteen inches with the writing thereon in letters of not less than one inch. The owner, business or commercial lessee, manager of a private business enterprise, or any other organization, entity, or person may prohibit persons holding a concealed carry permit or endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the premises and may prohibit employees, not authorized by the employer, holding a concealed carry permit or endorsement from carrying concealed firearms on the property of the employer. If the building or the premises are open to the public, the employer of the business enterprise shall post signs on or about the premises if carrying a concealed firearm is prohibited. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. An employer may prohibit employees or other persons holding a concealed carry permit or endorsement from carrying a concealed firearm in vehicles owned by the employer; "

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »
Get out your ruler and check the size of the letters. If less than an inch you should be OK.

IANAL, etc.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
Looks like it's at least an inch by the reflection.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
Sure they may kick you out for OCing, but you wouldn't be breaking the law in regards to the sign.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Sure they may kick you out for OCing, but you wouldn't be breaking the law in regards to the sign.
I wounder if this would actually apply in Missouri.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington