Author Topic: Accidental Shooting at Gun Show  (Read 10545 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Accidental Shooting at Gun Show
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
Upon arrival police spoke with the victim Krista Gearhart, age 25, from Orangeville, PA. Gearhart reported she had been shot in the right leg by a vendor demonstrating a concealed wallet holster. Vendor and owner of "In Case of Emergency" Geoffrey Hawk, age 44, from Warminster, PA reported while demonstrating a product holster he accidentally shot Gearhart in the leg.

http://bloomutoday.com/accidental-shooting-at-bloomsburg-gun-show-p2176-1.htm

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Accidental Shooting at Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Upon arrival police spoke with the victim Krista Gearhart, age 25, from Orangeville, PA. Gearhart reported she had been shot in the right leg by a vendor demonstrating a concealed wallet holster. Vendor and owner of "In Case of Emergency" Geoffrey Hawk, age 44, from Warminster, PA reported while demonstrating a product holster he accidentally shot Gearhart in the leg.

http://bloomutoday.com/accidental-shooting-at-bloomsburg-gun-show-p2176-1.htm

Well at least we know the holster works, now if the the fellow would have followed the rules of firearm safety, he may of made a sale & not a court case.... yikes! Hope the lady heals quickly.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Accidental Shooting at Gun Show
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
There is no such thing as accidental -- negligent!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Accidental Shooting at Gun Show
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
There is no such thing as accidental -- negligent!

The *only* time I might consider something an accident is if there was a defect with the firearm itself, or the holster.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
The *only* time I might consider something an accident is if there was a defect with the firearm itself, or the holster.

This is very true! Years ago there was a fellow at a MOC picnic on the west side of the state who carried a Springfield XD. It went off while he was making it ready for transport mode. IIRC, he was charged/ticketed but they were dismissed, due to his firearm being part of a very small  batch under recall from Springfield Armory for potential to discharge while being unloaded. Stuff happens, and yes, manufactures screw up from time to time.

Food for thought ... always check your gun for manufactures recalls or "safety upgrades". Just had my 23 year old G17 "voluntarily factory upgraded" with a new FCG basically on Glock's dime. Why so long? Simply wasn't informed by Glock,  as it was a voluntary program, hence no recall notice.

And no, I did not have the internet back in 1991! Lol, I don't think Glock had a website yet either, for that matter. Most PC's ran DOS back then and if you were lucky, had a 14.4k modem (think roughly 3 times slower than a old 56K modem, for those of you who know what a modem is/was). Gosh ...those were the days (not). History lesson concluded for the whipper snappers in the crowd. ;) A smart phone back then was: a payphone that knew the difference between quarters & washers! :p
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
I remember how bad ass I was on AOL when I told people that I had a 56k modem.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
I remember how bad ass I was on AOL when I told people that I had a 56k modem.

DUDE! If that was 1996-1997ish you were indeed the MAN! I remember paying a small fortune to "upgrade" to a 33.6k modem so I could play "  DOOM" better...lol.

PS - AOL = Americans on hold. Wow that brings back bad memories. :(
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
LOL.  For "personal" computing, I started out with a 300 baud modem in the early 80's and had internet access a few years later.

And yes, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »
bunch of kids here...

75 baud acoustic coupler :)

Thought 300 baud was SCREAMING :)

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »
bunch of kids here...

Holy crap! About the only thing slower would have been carrier pigeons and not by much. You win Sir! And yes, even Griff will stay off your lawn... (bowing making not worthy gestures)...  ;)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:14 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/07/police_michigan_woman_accident.html

Accident with a side of negligence?

Holy crap! About the only thing slower would have been carrier pigeons and not by much. You win Sir! And yes, even Griff will stay off your lawn... (bowing making not worthy gestures)...  ;)

A Standard for the Transmission of IP Datagrams on Avian Carriers  The standard for carrier pigeons was published on April 1, 1990.  RFC6214 adapts it for the newer IPv6 datagrams.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »
I hacked my first computer using that system :)  HFCC had this phone dialer card system to connect to their "main frame" in the computer lab.  I cyphered the code on the card and figure out the phone number.  Called it from the house using dad's thermal printer phone coupler, courtesy of Chrysler Corp.

Used to play Ascii star trek for hours on that thing :)

GET OFF MY GD LAWN :)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
bunch of kids here...

Okay, I didn't want to have to do this...

IBM System/360 mainframe using Hollerith cards (that's punch cards to you neophytes), Fortran IV, 1974.  Using a live terminal was a privilege.  ARPAnet was relatively new. The internet was years off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:16:08 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »
It's going to be odd telling my great grand kids that I was alive when the first IPHONE came out. lol

I don't think I'm going to be a great grand dad though.  I'm 33 and zero kids (that I know of.... BAZING!)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
I started with a Pentium MMX, a 33.6k modem, and Windows 95.  I didn't have a lawn to kick people off of until 2009.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 10:30:29 PM »
  I'm 33 and zero kids (that I know of).
Don't be one of those.  If you have kids, you d*mn better well know of them.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »
Don't be one of those.  If you have kids, you d*mn better well know of them.

I was just teasing.  I do not have any children.  But I helped raise one for several years.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »
I started with a Pentium MMX, a 33.6k modem, and Windows 95.  I didn't have a lawn to kick people off of until 2009.
WINDOWS 3.1!!!! lol

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
Tandy. 8088. Boot from two 51/4s
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »
Well well, this turned into a contest of who has the oldest dick.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide