Author Topic: Honest Gun-Owning Mom Busted In NJ Could Face 3 Years In Prison  (Read 2591 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

While Allen, from Philadelphia, was covered to carry a gun in Pennsylvania, she made the mistake of crossing into New Jersey with the weapon and now she's facing a mandatory minimum of three-years in jail.

Allen said that she didn't know her permit didn't apply to New Jersey so when she was stopped for a minor traffic offense she told the police about her gun and her permit to carry. In this case, being honest may have cost her.

“The judge tried to tell me that telling the truth messed me up, my life up and the cop said the same thing."

http://www.my9nj.com/story/25996007/nj-gun-permit-problems

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: Honest Gun-Owning Mom Busted In NJ Could Face 3 Years In Prison
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
Sad, truly sad.

As simple website can save a lot of heartache... http://handgunlaw.us/
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
When I found out my step father was going to Colorado for a week, I looked up all the laws for him.  The same when he went to Ohio.  Don't need some simple misunderstanding/lack of knowledge getting you in some serious trouble.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
Always know the gun laws in states you are traveling. What's perfectly legal in one state is a felony in another.

Unless the state has a law requiring you to waive your 5th amendment right to remain silent, like MI, don't tell the LEOs you have a gun. (Unless you can afford the legal fees, etc.)

It's best not to get pulled over, but if it happens, don't say anything.

"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Honest Gun-Owning Mom Busted In NJ Could Face 3 Years In Prison
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
I was once in Philly and was heading back to the airport. I missed my exit and ended up -- guess where ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).