Author Topic: Happy 4th, take time to read the Declaration of Independence today  (Read 11113 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
238 years ago, 56 colonialist signed a document that amounted to treason.  Each knew the signature was punishable by death.  This was not drafted in haste.  Whenever I read the Declaration, it's very humbling.  The words are powerful.  Strong enough to start a war.

You think we live in perilous times now?  We are far from it.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html

Happy 4th.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Happy 4th, take time to read the Declaration of Independence today
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.”

— John Adams

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:12:24 AM »
Yes it is a worth while document to read. I read it often and teach it to my children. If you look at a lot of what is going on these days you might find we are closer to those times than our forefathers would or did tolerate. Now the fun of how to restore the republic without having to go down the route of war is interesting at the least to say. I hope it is possible. -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
It's just a piece of paper -- like the Constitution, it has no power. It puts no penalty into the government for breaking it and if it does, it counts on the Government to discipline itself.

Hahaha
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
No Phil, it counts on the people to discipline the government. Read the first two paragraphs and that is pointed out very clearly. Yes it is a piece of paper on which ideas reasons and wrongs where written that over the next 13 yrs in history laid the foundation to a Federated Republic of States.

These where learned men who knew that power could and would corrupt even themselves, most spoke more than one language (most folks don't know there was strong debate on what the official language of the US government was to be or that it did not mandate what each of the states used at first). They had read the writings of the thinkers of their time as well as the classical works available to them. In these modern times one must work hard to match the understanding and knowledge these men brought together when crafting the USA. No it is a document well worth reading and not only it but many of the works and memoirs of those who crafted it. As stated earlier they put all at risk to establish what they hoped was a nation that would grow with the ideas they held so dear as it's foundation. - Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
someone stole my tools over the weekend

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
It's just a piece of paper -- like the Constitution, it has no power. It puts no penalty into the government for breaking it and if it does, it counts on the Government to discipline itself.

Hahaha
I take my patriotism seriously so I must disagree too. First how does government break the Declaration of Independence? (but I know what you mean.)
Now (See my avatar) as informed voters we have the opportunity to vote out(a penalty) those politicians who go against the constitution and our Bill of Rights. We must pay attention to politicians many months not days before an election.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
I take my patriotism seriously so I must disagree too. First how does government break the Declaration of Independence? (but I know what you mean.)
Now (See my avatar) as informed voters we have the opportunity to vote out(a penalty) those politicians who go against the constitution and our Bill of Rights. We must pay attention to politicians many months not days before an election.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

ditto. its borked

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
It says "I VOTED". :toetap:

If someone could PM me feedback on how long my avatar was missing and if it's back I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been seeing it for years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:08:27 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »

Yes, yes we must.

Will most people pay attention to how their tyrant votes? Nope, and that's the problem with voting.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
It's that time of year again!  This document has been around for 239 years now.  56 people giving the proverbial middle finger to King George.

It's an annual read for me.  Consider making it your (at least) annual read too.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
Thanks for posting that.  I think that is one of the greatest documents ever written.  I have a framed copy/replica hanging on my family room wall.

Offline k-9patrol@live.com

• MOC Member
  • K-9 Patrol ESM Inc.
    • K-9 Patrol
  • First Name (Displayed): K-9 Tim
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »
Wishing a safe and happy 4th to all who believe in the sacrifice made by many, for our rights.  Especially the Second Amendment, without which the First and the rest could not be preserved. God Bless the U.S.A.
K-9 Tim

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
From TTAG today:

Being American is epic. But it’s an experience that only a small percentage of Earth’s inhabitants can enjoy. On this day, when we celebrate our Declaration of Independence from our country’s British overlords, we should remember that most of the world’s population labors under the yoke of government tyranny. We are lucky. But our liberation wasn’t a matter of luck. It was a matter of determination. Our Founding Fathers were determined to end the “long train of abuses and usurpations” so that Americans could be free. They did it, ultimately, under force of arms.

Those who truly stand for freedom know that Americans’ right to keep and bear arms isn’t about hunting. Or protection against criminals. Or defense against an invading army. It’s about protection against a tyrannical government. You cannot have freedom without the absence of tyranny. Our gun rights create the space for our freedoms to flourish.

As a people, we use this space to differ on matters of religion, sexual orientation, taxation, the role of the courts, the proper type of policing and on and on and on. The fact that we can do so without tearing the country apart – again – has everything to do with the fact that each individual can defend themselves individually, to protect their individual rights by exercising their individual right to keep and bear arms.

That said, we are not a country of free men and women because we own guns or the Constitution says so. We are free because natural law says that we have the right to defend our lives against those who would enslave us or take our lives. Should statists repeal the Second Amendment, my right to protect myself, my freedom to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, remains mine. My gun rights are not inherent in government. They’re inherent in me.

On this day we should celebrate our country’s courage, past and present. We should be thankful to the men and women we pay to protect that freedom. But we should also celebrate our own resolve. For it is that resolve that keeps us free, one American at a time.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07/sara-tipton/sara-tipton-happy-fourth-of-july/

(There are dissenting views in the comment section).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
It seems a pity that Allen Edmonds seems to be doing away with the Independence Collection shoes, named after signers of the Declaration. When they came out with a shoe named after William Williams, it prompted me to do a little reading on this interesting but little known 18th century leader.
I missed out on the Williams when it was a closeout model, but I did grab a couple pair of Jeffersons (my favorite president) last month.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 06:30:50 PM »
Those who truly stand for freedom know that Americans’ right to keep and bear arms isn’t about hunting. Or protection against criminals. Or defense against an invading army. It’s about protection against a tyrannical government. You cannot have freedom without the absence of tyranny. Our gun rights create the space for our freedoms to flourish.

QFT