Author Topic: If i'm a murderer, doesnt that make the police assassins?  (Read 7739 times)

Offline birddseedd

If i'm a murderer, doesnt that make the police assassins?
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
So, if i am to accept the logic of my family and religious representatives, in that me carrying a firearm makes me a murderer. What is so special about police officers (getting paid to kill people) that they are not assassins?

doing what i felt necessary to protect my family seems to be taring my life apart.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: If i'm a murderer, doesnt that make the police assassins?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
Obviously you attend the wrong church.  I was running sound for our church's recent "yard sale" and one of the founding members asked me what I was working on on my laptop.  I told him I was writing an article for the Michigan Open Carry newsletter.  We talked about open carry and concealed carry a bit, then he pulled out his gun to show me.  One of the church elders was standing there, so naturally he had to pull his out, too.  He was carrying a Springfield XD.  The other guy had a Taurus Judge.

As for your extended family and church, this is America.  People are allowed to be wrong.  I'm sure you've seen election results over the years.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:30:14 AM by gryphon »

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »
it seems hard to find any church of the apostolic faith around here that isnt deafeningly loud.

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:45 AM »
Go you one further-
Aren't soldiers just paid assassins and murderers?

I say that as a ten year combat veteran.

My parents were Jehovah's witnesses and as such are politically neutral and against war, violence, and guns.

couple weeks back- my siblings and I went out for a day of shooting, all five of us. Mostly .22's. Just to kill paper.
All these years later, after everything... and he still wouldn't just come out to spend time with us because of the guns.

I personally didn't speak to my father for two or three years.

I joined the army to provide medical care and benefits for my wife and daughter. Period.
I spent six months in Bosnia, and two years in Iraq. I have fired my weapon in combat and against ? enemy? contact.
I had to cause pain and injury to others just to do my job. But, I did my job. I didn't, and don't like it.

I'm not telling you how or what to believe...

But I no longer believe in god. I saw what people are capable of doing to others.

That's me. But, I do what I have to do to survive.
I do what I have to do to feel comfortable with things or even safe and comfortable in my ability to defend myself and family.

I carry guilt every day for things I've done.
But I still believe in the right to defend those who cant or won't defend themselves.

There has to be good men, good people in this world willing to do so.
That's all I have to hold onto every day.

Judge no one but yourself.
Care for others before yourself.
be happy and content in who you are.
And know things you believe in, you hold dear, hopefully are for the better good.

That's all you can do.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
Thank you for keeping my family safe.

Although I am sad to hear that you blame God for what ungodly men do. God will put a stop to it in his time. Until then, know this. The bible says there is a time for war. That time comes when we are attacked by ungodly men.

I urge you to watch The Last Samurai. there is a line about halfway through that I think you should watch. you are a hero who have no reason to be ashamed

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
I'm no hero.
Like any other soldier, I just did my job the best that I could.

I apologize- It was not my intent to make it about me.

The point I was trying to make is that no matter what we do in life, we have to do it for the people we love.
And in order to do that, we have to be able to be comfortable in who and what we are.

No matter what the people in our lives say, or do... Only you can know what you feel is right for you.
And if they do care about you, they'll see that.

I have my own problems with god- but I whole-heartedly support your, or anyone else's right to believe and worship in any way you choose. There are many factions, and many interpretations of religions...

Thank you for support of myself and our troops- it's a hard life to live now days.
I hope that things go well for you, and hope for a resolution with your family.
I spent twenty years losing much of mine through anger and impasses.
Don't be like me! work on a fix!

good luck.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:27 PM »
I understand what you mean.

but from my perspective, you are a hero. I have epilepsy. its small enough that it does not effect my life but serving our country is out of the question.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:33 PM »
Soldiers: professional killers paid by and receiving orders from liars and thieves (politicians).

It may not be a nice way to look at it, but it's true. I wish it wasn't. Let's find #peace -- at least let's not start wars until some nation state attacks our homeland. Why do the middle eastern states hate us?

How should we feel if Russia came over and backed Cuba when we were at war with them....oh, wait, we didn't like that.

Why should it be any different with Israel?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
Why do the middle eastern states hate us?

Some butt hurt from two family feuds.  Isaac vs. Ishmael, Jacob vs. Esau.  Both are present in Islam and Judaism.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »

Some butt hurt from two family feuds.  Isaac vs. Ishmael, Jacob vs. Esau.  Both are present in Islam and Judaism.

Doesn't have anything to do with the US or the US government -- except we keep interfering.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
Doesn't have anything to do with the US or the US government -- except we keep interfering.

Maybe if they stop carrying out attacks against non Islam people we wouldn't interfere as much  :hide:

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
If we stop giving them guns and military training they might not be able to

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »

Maybe if they stop carrying out attacks against non Islam people we wouldn't interfere as much  :hide:

Is it the duty of the US Government to protect people in the State of Israel?

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »
Is it the duty of the US Government to protect people in the State of Israel?

IIRC they are what's called "an ally" and as such we have these things called "treaties" with them.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
does that treaty include keeping our troops there when the president comes to our Congress and tells us to get out

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »

IIRC they are what's called "an ally" and as such we have these things called "treaties" with them.

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one of] those which ought to shape its administration." --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural Address, 1801. ME 3:321

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one of] those which ought to shape its administration." --Thomas Jefferson: 1st Inaugural Address, 1801. ME 3:321
That didn't last long. Three years later Islamic pirates captured the USS Philadelphia. We have been at war with Islam since then.

"To the shores of Tripoli"

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
That didn't last long. Three years later Islamic pirates captured the USS Philadelphia. We have been at war with Islam since then.

"To the shores of Tripoli"

There was a book written a few years back on this topic

The First Barbary War (1801–1805), also known as the Tripolitan War or the Barbary Coast War, was the first of two wars fought between the United States and the Northwest African Berber Muslim states known collectively as the Barbary States. These were the Ottoman provinces of Tripoli, Algiers, and Tunis, which were enjoying a large autonomy, as well as the independent Sultanate of Morocco.[1] The war was fought because U.S. President Thomas Jefferson refused to pay the high tributes demanded by the Barbary states and because they were seizing American merchant ships and enslaving the crews for high ransoms. It was the first declared war the United States fought on foreign land and seas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »
effing terrorists!