Author Topic: Carjacker Gets Beat Down In City Heights San Diego  (Read 7503 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Carjacker Gets Beat Down In City Heights San Diego
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
Carjacker Gets Beat Down In City Heights San Diego.

City Heights, San Diego 7/13/14

Guy tries to jack a car with women and children. Community members jump in to help the women grabbing the keys out of carjacker's hands pulling him out of the car, while police are called, when carjacker tries to get away he is brought down and held there till police arrived, Carjacker was taken into custody. Women and children were checked out by EMT, seemed shaken up but no physical injuries.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
Re: Carjacker Gets Beat Down In City Heights San Diego
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Carjacker Gets Beat Down In City Heights San Diego.

City Heights, San Diego 7/13/14

Guy tries to jack a car with women and children. Community members jump in to help the women grabbing the keys out of carjacker's hands pulling him out of the car, while police are called, when carjacker tries to get away he is brought down and held there till police arrived, Carjacker was taken into custody. Women and children were checked out by EMT, seemed shaken up but no physical injuries.

they beat him pretty good. crime doesnt pay. hes going to jail and got a beating by citizens. i noted the amount of blood loss.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »
I love it when a story has a happy ending :>>>
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
That's one thing I always wondered.  Forcibly restraining someone while waiting for the police.  Couldn't they make some sort of case that they were held against their will and wanted to leave or something like that and sue you (the person restraining them).

THEN what if like, a car jumped the curb and ran them over as they were hogtied, wouldn't you be responsible for that?

and DON'T MAKE ME ask this in the legal hypothetical.  DON'T DO IT. :protest:

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
That's one thing I always wondered.  Forcibly restraining someone while waiting for the police.  Couldn't they make some sort of case that they were held against their will and wanted to leave or something like that and sue you (the person restraining them).

THEN what if like, a car jumped the curb and ran them over as they were hogtied, wouldn't you be responsible for that?

and DON'T MAKE ME ask this in the legal hypothetical.  DON'T DO IT. :protest:

he was commiting a crime, citizens arrest. i bet most of them will be called as witnesses at his trial if he so chooses to have one

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:47 PM »
I believe you can restrain (arrest) for a felony, although I've seen videos where DUI drivers were held until police arrive, and DUI is typically a misdemeanor. 

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
I believe you can restrain (arrest) for a felony, although I've seen videos where DUI drivers were held until police arrive, and DUI is typically a misdemeanor.

Correct on the arrest.  However, and IANAL, I don't believe detaining an individual until police arrive would be prosecutable under as kidnapping or unlawful imprisonment under statutes MCL 750.349 and MCL 750.349b.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-764-16
764.16 Arrest by private person; situations.

Sec. 16.

A private person may make an arrest—in the following situations:

(a) For a felony committed in the private person's presence.

(b) If the person to be arrested has committed a felony although not in the private person's presence.

(c) If the private person is summoned by a peace officer to assist the officer in making an arrest.

(d) If the private person is a merchant, an agent of a merchant, an employee of a merchant, or an independent contractor providing security for a merchant of a store and has reasonable cause to believe that the person to be arrested has violated section 356c or 356d of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being sections 750.356c and 750.356d of the Michigan Compiled Laws, in that store, regardless of whether the violation was committed in the presence of the private person.

764.20 Arrest; private persons, duty.

Sec. 20.

A private person, before making an arrest, shall inform the person to be arrested of the intention to arrest him and the cause of the arrest, except when he is then engaged in the commission of a criminal offense, or if he flees or forcibly resists arrest before the person making the arrest has opportunity so to inform him.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Thanks Mr. Changing Penguin Man.  And everyone else who helped me.

Don't let me catch anyone committing any felonies, it's going to be really embarrassing when the cops take you away in pink fluffy handcuffs.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
In my best Gomer Pyle - citizens arrest, citizens arrest.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
Thanks Mr. Changing Penguin Man.  And everyone else who helped me.

Don't let me catch anyone committing any felonies, it's going to be really embarrassing when the cops take you away in pink fluffy handcuffs.

i like his linux penguin avatars :)

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
https://security.freedomforged.com/articles/citizensarrestmichigan for my own thoughts and comments on citizens arrest.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide