Open Carry Specific > OC Experiences

4 words that will increase your heart rate

(1/4) > >>

Xpiatio:
All was going good since I started open carrying at Meijer many months back.  Today was the first bad experience due to a customer and not the store employees.  I peered down at my grocery list to see what was next to get. From the side of my eye I see a guy non-chalantly walking down the aisle.  He body language did give off any warning signs.  As he approached me and passed me, he said  "Give me your gun".  Two steps further he laughs and says "whatever" and turns down the next aisle.  I know you guys are going to bring up situational awareness, tape recorder, and rentention holster.    As he walked away, all I could think of was: wow, what a dumb mf-er.  I know so many people that would have knocked you out.  But we all know that hindsight is 20/20.  So a couple things I will modify: 

1. ALS holster instead of my serpa.  the button to release on my Serpa is right on the outside.  easy to press and easy to discharge by someone grabbing for the gun.
2. Better recorder that goes around my neck when I don't have a chest pocket on my shirt.
3. Get a better handle as to how close I allow people to get.

So I extend out a question: what would you have done in a similar situation?

CV67PAT:
Head on a swivel. Even when glancing at list, phone, etc.

Response...
Turn, hand on grip, "come and take it."

Body language don't mean anything... watch the hands.

Xpiatio:

--- Quote from: CV67PAT on July 09, 2014, 10:09:37 PM ---Head on a swivel. Even when glancing at list, phone, etc.

Response...
Turn, hand on grip, "come and take it."

Body language don't mean anything... watch the hands.

--- End quote ---

Will definitely take these into consideration. Thank you

gryphon:
Of the four words that would increase my heart rate, one of them would be "ex-wife."

gryphon:
You are correct, though, in using this to reevaluate your carry gear, situational awareness, and ready response(s).

I know a guy who used to carry a revolver and nothing else. No back-up, no reload.  He was one of those guys who said, "If I can't get it done in six rounds, I deserve what I get."  Until he was in a multi-threat situation one night.  Scared him sh*tless.  He ditched the revolver in favor of a hi-cap semi-auto and two spare mags.  Sometimes it's not until one is actually confronted with a situation that one realistically evaluates things.

I try to think through a lot of scenarios in my mind, including ones where I am in my car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version