Author Topic: cops took his gun and cpl  (Read 20260 times)

Offline MNCheff

cops took his gun and cpl
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
My brother in law got rear ended the other day in Riverview while open carrying.  He was dazed from an accident that just totaled his truck when the cops showed up.  He stepped out of the truck but did not approach the officers and tell them he was carrying.  When they saw it hanging on his hip they spun him around handcuffed him took his gun and his wallet.  They took his cpl and now he has to pay $500 to SEE if they will give him back his gun its not for sure they will return it and now he has to go before a review board to see if he can get his cpl back. I'm not sure if he did anything wrong.  He was not in the vehicle while talking to the officers so I don't know what there was to disclose to them. I feel his rights were violated but I'm curious to see what other folks think.  I might be wrong .

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: cops took his gun and cpl
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
There is one really great 2A attorney downriver.  Goes by the user name Shyster, Jim Makowski.

Offline MNCheff

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
Thanks I will find him and have them get in touch

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
James Makowski
6528 Schaefer Rd.
Dearborn, MI 48126
Phone: (313) 584-1404
EMail: info@makowskilegal.com
Known Forum Names: Shyster (MOC, MGO)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Disgusting.

Offline MNCheff

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
He is meeting with shyster tonight.  I hope he can help him out. Thanks.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »
He is meeting with shyster tonight.  I hope he can help him out. Thanks.

This is probably the best decision so far. Glad to hear he's meeting with Jim, a very capable lawyer. I'm hopeful for a quick resolution. Him has been able to resolve things like this without need for the courts.

I would advise, he should expect to pay Jim some $. Given Jim doesn't do private practice for a living anymore, he mostly takes cases of personal interest -- and has been known to offer a more than fair retainer for such cases.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
This is probably the best decision so far. Glad to hear he's meeting with Jim, a very capable lawyer. I'm hopeful for a quick resolution. Him has been able to resolve things like this without need for the courts.

I would advise, he should expect to pay Jim some $. Given Jim doesn't do private practice for a living anymore, he mostly takes cases of personal interest -- and has been known to offer a more than fair retainer for such cases.

i think i met jim when he was representing MGO at the mike green meet and greet. seems like a good guy

Offline MNCheff

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
I guess when they talked to him he seemed pretty mad and said he doesn't work cheap but to give him the $500 the cops want and he will take care of it quickly.  I think they should take it to court to make sure nobody else has to go through this in that area again.  Oh the cops now drive by his house  real slow 3 times an hour watching him very intensely. He can't work on other car or even have a smoke on the porch without being watched.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
I guess when they talked to him he seemed pretty mad and said he doesn't work cheap but to give him the $500 the cops want and he will take care of it quickly.  I think they should take it to court to make sure nobody else has to go through this in that area again.  Oh the cops now drive by his house  real slow 3 times an hour watching him very intensely. He can't work on other car or even have a smoke on the porch without being watched.

pretty sure that is harassment

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »

He should tell that to his lawyer.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Jim no longer private practices?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »

Jim no longer private practices?

He has a full time employer/client. He only takes cases privately that are of special interest to him -- usually gun cases.

That's what I understand.

Offline MNCheff

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »
He found this one interesting then cuz he took it.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Keep us updated. I'm very interested to see how this one turns out.

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
Anyone know what happened with this case?  I would be interested in hearing some more about it.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
I'd expect total silence until the criminal case is finished, then hopefully we'll hear the details on that before any civil case starts up.

I don't expect to see any details on the civil case (if there is one) until it's resolved either.
Note to plaintiff's attorney: You don't HAVE to agree to an NDA just because the defendant wants to keep their malfeasance against the taxpayers hidden.   
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Right, I just hadn't really seen anything that stated that the case was continuing in the court system or, some one with some brain cells in the department actually did the responsible thing.  Does anyone know where this is going through the court system at and a case number?  I might be interested in following it some.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:40:39 PM »
Good point.
 If the persecuting attorney's (or city attorney's) office has any brains, they'd dismiss with prejudice after Shyster chewed on them for a while, rather than watch him rip them apart in front of a judge.

I'm just assuming silence implies 'case still open'.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
The totality of the OP's posts here at MOC are contained in this thread and hasn't logged in since 7/13.  I doubt we will hear anything concerning this again.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36