Author Topic: Transporting Pistol  (Read 23014 times)

Offline houghmoney

• First Name (Displayed): Nick
Transporting Pistol
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
I can open carry in public but while driving to my destination I have to transport the pistol and clip separately? Just doesnt make sense. So is it illegal to actually transport it in my holster even if the clip is in the trunk?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Transporting Pistol
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »
I can open carry in public but while driving to my destination I have to transport the pistol and clip separately? Just doesnt make sense. So is it illegal to actually transport it in my holster even if the clip is in the trunk?
Yes, that is unlawful.
Unlicensed persons must transport their pistols, unloaded and in a case designed for a firearm.
Get caught otherwise and it's a 5 year felony.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-231a

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); "antique firearm" defined.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section, "antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:26:45 PM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:13:36 PM »
Yes, that is unlawful.
Unlicensed persons must transport their pistols, unloaded and in a case designed for a firearm.
Get caught otherwise and it's a 5 year felony.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-231a
Pat then what does this law apply to? It doesnt say it has to be in a case but has to only be unloaded and only 1 of the following:

unloaded and is 1 or more
of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
So cant it just be unloaded and sitting next to you on the seat taken down? You mentioned it has to be in a case but are you sure that is correct? I want to make sure I get this right so please let me know what I am missing if anything...

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
Pat then what does this law apply to? It doesnt say it has to be in a case but has to only be unloaded and only 1 of the following:

of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
So cant it just be unloaded and sitting next to you on the seat taken down? You mentioned it has to be in a case but are you sure that is correct? I want to make sure I get this right so please let me know what I am missing if anything...
Define taken down ;)

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:10 PM »
Define taken down ;)
I see your point. I would say removing slide and magazine and barell and recoil spring... So you are saying that you are safer enclosed in a case correct? I am still new to trying to understand some of the humor on this site. I dont know sometimes when people are joking serious or trying to make a point but I am getting better. Fink at MSP told me that if it was taken down as I described it would be OK but that was in respect to a rifle when I asked the question.

This applies to me mostly because I drive a pickup reg cab which is why I called her in first place. thx

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »

of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.

You are quoting MCL 750.227d, but left out a very important detail....
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227d

There is no provision in 750.231a, which applies to pistols, allowing the firearm to be broken down.  So, unloaded and encased. In the trunk, if possible; inaccessible to the occupants if not possible.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:18:04 PM by linux203 »
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »

Just a point of information, the loaded magazine may be transported in the same case as the pistol.
Just no round in the chamber and magazine,if loaded, not in the weapon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:11:11 PM by LD »

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:51:59 AM »
Michigan law also provides that a person may carry, transport or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both the barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.9 Furthermore, a person may carry, transport, possess or discharge a firearm without a hunting license if:
 •The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in:

Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets;
 Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap; or
 Sighting-in the firearm;
 •The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of:

The owner of the property on which the target practice or sighting-in referenced above is taking place; or
 The lessee of that property for a term of not less than one year; or
 •The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the target practice or sighting-in activity.10

Magazine must be unloaded as well. Can carry magazine in the case with the gun yes, but empty.
Ammunition should be carried in a seperate compartment from the firearm. (locked glove box, in cab of vehicle if the gun is in the trunk.)
A locked case, a gun lock through the action of the firearm is not a requirement from what I understand- but is helpful and keeps firearms securely and easily recognized as "clear" and inoperable.

there are several sites for information.

http://smartgunlaws.org/guns-in-vehicles-in-michigan/

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654---,00.html

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

Note that there are different "rules" for concealed carry licensees.Carry gun can be loaded and concealed in the vehicle with you.
Extra ammunition for it, and other firearms in the vehicle may be loaded in magazines and carried in the car.
Multiple firearms may be located in the car as well- cleared and cased. Both ammo and guns in the cab of the vehicle and not required to be seperated.

Im in ohio, but i travel regularly to michigan to shoot with family.
So I try to stay up on the laws.

Ignorance of the law is not a legal excuse, so we as gun owners are required to know and follow them.
have fun shooting!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Transporting Pistol
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »
Magazine must be unloaded as well. Can carry magazine in the case with the gun yes, but empty.
Ammunition should be carried in a seperate compartment from the firearm. (locked glove box, in cab of vehicle if the gun is in the trunk.)
A locked case, a gun lock through the action of the firearm is not a requirement from what I understand- but is helpful and keeps firearms securely and easily recognized as "clear" and inoperable.

there are several sites for information.

http://smartgunlaws.org/guns-in-vehicles-in-michigan/

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

Note that there are different "rules" for concealed carry licensees.Carry gun can be loaded and concealed in the vehicle with you.
Extra ammunition for it, and other firearms in the vehicle may be loaded in magazines and carried in the car.
Multiple firearms may be located in the car as well- cleared and cased. Both ammo and guns in the cab of the vehicle and not required to be seperated.

Im in ohio, but i travel regularly to michigan to shoot with family.
So I try to stay up on the laws.

Ignorance of the law is not a legal excuse, so we as gun owners are required to know and follow them.
have fun shooting!

Nothing in statute nor case law says the loaded magazine can't be in the same as the firearm.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
Welsh,

Where did you hear that rounds of ammunition have to be removed from the magazine?  None of your sources indicate that requirement.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
Welshj.....

" if the firearm is unloaded in both the barrel and magazine,"

Refers to an integral magazine not a removable one.
While transporting ammunition separated from the gun is 100% legal, it is in no way MORE legal then if the ammo is in the same case as the firearm.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
Pistols.....
Quote from: MCL 750.231a
(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

Not a pistol.....
Quote from: MCL 750.227d
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.

Where did "unloaded in barrel or magazine" come from?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

It sounds suspiciously like the instructions I read in the DNR hunting and trapping guides, probably in reference to rifles with fixed magazines. I also seem to recall the DNR wanting you to have the idea that ammo and magazines containing ammo should be (not necessarily must be, but it was so many years ago that I can't remember the exact language) transported separately from the firearms. When I was younger I believed that best practice was cased gun in trunk, magazines in glove box.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
It sounds suspiciously like the instructions I read in the DNR hunting and trapping guides, probably in reference to rifles with fixed magazines. I also seem to recall the DNR wanting you to have the idea that ammo and magazines containing ammo should be (not necessarily must be, but it was so many years ago that I can't remember the exact language) transported separately from the firearms. When I was younger I believed that best practice was cased gun in trunk, magazines in glove box.

Quote from: MCL 324.504
(6) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-504

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Michigan law does get complicated.
Firearms over 26" can be transported unloaded in the trunk without being in a case. I agree MCL 750.227d only applies to firearms over 26 in. and a CPL will not change this.

Understand that under 750.231a if you don't have a CPL and if you have a trunk you must do all of the following for a pistol: in the trunk, unloaded and in a case.

Under the influence with out a trunk 28.425k (3) (a) ...pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:51:30 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline welshj

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:50:53 AM »
Pistols.....
Not a pistol.....

I listed all of my referances in my previous post, where i found it from several of my own researches into mi law.
The "unloaded in barrel or magazine" referance comes from the Firearms laws of michigan PDF document posted on the michigan state police website.

It states the following about firearms transport - Without a hunting license or transport other than while hunting.

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting
license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
Sec. 43513. (1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in
both barrel and magazine
and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any
occupant of the vehicle. A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting
license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily
accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.
(2) Regardless of whether the person has a license or it is open season for the taking of game, a person may carry, transport,
possess or discharge a firearm, a bow and arrow, or a crossbow if all of the following apply:
(a) The person is not taking or attempting to take game but is engaged in 1 or more of the following activities:
(i) Target practice using an identifiable, artificially constructed target or targets.
(ii) Practice with silhouettes, plinking, skeet, or trap.
(iii) Sighting-in the firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.
(b) The person is, or is accompanied by or has the permission of, either of the following:
(i) The owner of the property on which the activity under subdivision (a) is taking place.
(ii) The lessee of that property for a term of not less than 1 year.
(c) The owner or lessee of the property does not receive remuneration for the activity under subdivision (a).
(3) A person may carry or possess an unloaded weapon at any time if the person is traveling to or from or participating in a
historical reenactment.
History: Add. 1995, Act 57, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995;—Am. 1996, Act 585, Eff. Mar. 1, 1997;—Am. 1998, Act 129, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999;—Am. 2006, Act
433, Imd. Eff. Oct. 5, 2006.
Popular name: Act 451
Popular name: NREPA

Offline welshj

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 03:55:24 AM »
I havent found anything yet that refers to a tubular magazine, or an integral magazine...
just states barrel and magazine.

Offline welshj

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »
750.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty;
applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).
Sec. 227c. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor
vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or
a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
(3) This section does not apply to a person who violates section 10(1)(g) of chapter II of Act No. 286 of the Public Acts of
1929, as amended, being section 312.10 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982.
750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982.

And it is kind of confusing because there it describes a pistol, but otherwise it's just stated as a firearm?
but here at the beginning it defines firearm as:

8.3t “Firearm” defined.
Sec. 3t. The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any
weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except
any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB’s not exceeding .177 calibre by
means of spring, gas or air.
History: Add. 1959, Act 189, Imd. Eff. July 22, 1959.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
And it is kind of confusing because there it describes a pistol, but otherwise it's just stated as a firearm?
but here at the beginning it defines firearm as:
A pistol is a type of firearm. Does this definition help you?

MCL 750.222 Definitions
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%283n4xqz45qf2nbu55kzxz11nl%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-750-222
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »

It appears he found it under chapter 324 (NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION) Which seems to be hunting (which I don't) related.

But the bigger question now does that need to be changed?