Author Topic: takedown lever issue  (Read 6580 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
takedown lever issue
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
my SD is having an issue with the takedown lever. i will try to explain as best i can without pics as i will have to wait til i get home to take some:

this is a glock style takedown lever BTW. push down tabs on both side and slide forward or pull trigger to disassemble

I have an issue that has my SD benched for now as my edc. My takedown lever is stuck in a down position. I was at the range last night and noticed something didn't feel right. I pulled the may. Cleared the chamber of the llive round. Double checked it was clear. Dry fired and my slide came right off like I was field stripping. Once off it popped right back up where it was supposed to be. I reassembled. Now its stuck about halfway down and I am able to push forward a bit so the slide goes forward about a 1/2 inch. I would hate to think my barrel is the issue. But that could be I suppose. I have put many rounds through it with no hiccups. Ill post pics later but was curious if anyone had this issue. I've tinkered with it some and will look more at it this evening after work. Any ideas on what I should try? It seems to me anyways the guide rod is touching the takedown lever causing it. To depress when I assemble the slide to frame

im going to disassemble and give a thorough cleaning tonight to see if that helps any. ive google searched the crap out of this and cant find a similar issue

going to be stuck CC until i can get my main fully operational again :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:47:56 AM by SD40VE »

Offline Jeff

Re: takedown lever issue
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
Slide lock spring need to be replaced maybe?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »

i emailed smith and wesson, normal reply time is 5 days due to large volumes lol
im going to tear it apart tonight and take a look. its got about as many parts as a glock lol

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
takedown lever issue
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »

This would be my guess.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »

the slide lock lever has the spring built in, i have another one that is green when i went zombie green happy on my SD
the pin above the trigger holds the slide lock lever in place. hopefully swapping the slide locks fixed the issue. had a friendly competition planned for the weekend but might have to reschedule if my fave is not working right :(
smith wants me to send back. lol id rather attempt to resolve on my own first

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
If it's on their dime I would send it back.

You could probably test to see if the other one you installed fixed the issue by racking the slide a bunch of times and pulling down on the tabs a bunch of times.  If it's not causing anymore malfunctions you probably fixed the problem.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
If it's on their dime I would send it back.

You could probably test to see if the other one you installed fixed the issue by racking the slide a bunch of times and pulling down on the tabs a bunch of times.  If it's not causing anymore malfunctions you probably fixed the problem.

ill snap pics when i get home. maybe i was unclear. when i put the slide on the tabs depress as if its going to be field stripped. this is without me even touching them...

also it gets shipped on their dime. chances are repairs wont be covered though. too much non stock things lol
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:10:25 PM by SD40VE »

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
I would make sure the barrel is fitting into the locking block properly and your recoil spring isn't damaged (bent flange).

The take down lever should slide up between the recoil spring and the barrel.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
yeah i put the stock recoil spring/guiderod back in. same result. i got it to finally lock into place. but it seemed alot harder than it should have been. i think im going to send back to smith

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
yeah i put the stock recoil spring/guiderod back in. same result. i got it to finally lock into place. but it seemed alot harder than it should have been. i think im going to send back to smith

It's all those darn high pressure .40 rounds tearing your firearm apart.  :hide: