Author Topic: Got chewed out by an anti OC guy today  (Read 32570 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Got chewed out by an anti OC guy today
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
its not for a drop holster, that drops it down to your leg. this only drops it 2", a tad closer to my hand.

I'm not talking about a thigh rig, that's a leg drop holster.  I'm talking about a belt drop holster that drops your pistol below your belt line.  Yes, it's closer to your hand, but that platform is more unstable.  The primary audience for those is LEOs who wear kevlar vests, or maybe winter gear, where the vest or coat interferes with the higher riding holster and gun.  There's nothing wrong with grabbing at your belt line to draw your pistol.

By and large, we have gone away from lower riding holsters like Barney Fife wore.  Anything hanging below your belt will flop around more, and will also be incredibly hard to wear and draw from in a car.  You want the tight, stable platform that is achieved by a secure holster where the belt crosses the gun.

You and autosurgeon (Ryan) live fairly close to one another I think.  You're in the Kalamazoo area and I believe he's down the road in the Coloma area.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:14:40 PM by gryphon »

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
i don't see how i can really draw in a car, belt covers the gun and its kinda pinched in the corner of the seat.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
How does your belt cover your gun?  Are you talking about concealed carry where your gun is inside your pants?  Even then you can still draw in a vehicle.

Did you read the newsletter?  There are two videos on vehicle draw in this issue.  I can draw while sitting in my Corvette.  My SUVs are even easier.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
seat belt covers it.

can i have a link to the videos?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
can i have a link to the videos?

You already have them, they are in the newsletter.  Go to page 12, bottom half, and move your cursor (or finger if using a tablet or smartphone) to the headings "Drawing a Pistol In a Car" and "Introduction to Vehicle Defense."  Click on them.

The first video shows drawing while wearing a seat belt, the second shows drawing while removing a seat belt.  The second is an excerpt of a longer full training video on tactics from Thunder Ranch.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:42:37 PM by gryphon »

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
I do not get said news letter

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
How does your belt cover your gun?  Are you talking about concealed carry where your gun is inside your pants?  Even then you can still draw in a vehicle.

Did you read the newsletter?  There are two videos on vehicle draw in this issue.  I can draw while sitting in my Corvette.  My SUVs are even easier.

vette? someone have a midlife crisis? hehe  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :|> :|> :|> :banglaugh: :banglaugh:

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
I will have a vette by midlife, has nothing to do with a crisis, its my plan.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »

First, click here and subscribe to newsletter and legislative and event email updates: http://miopencarry.org/updates/

Second, click here for this issue's newlestter announcement and link for those people who never open their email: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,4362.0.html

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Hey, look at that. How is it possible you didn't post in that thread?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
Hey, look at that. How is it possible you didn't post in that thread?

You are asking a LOT Tom.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »
I will have a vette by midlife, has nothing to do with a crisis, its my plan.
You can't even afford bullets. How do you think you'll ever be able to afford a Vette?

I forgot.... LOTTO
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:19 PM »
How do you guys respond when a "pro gun" guy tries to tell you that you are going to cause more gun restrictions by oc?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »
How do you guys respond when a "pro gun" guy tries to tell you that you are going to cause more gun restrictions by oc?
I usually order fries with mine.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »

Don't know. Never had a "pro gun" person say that to me, only anti-Open Carry people.

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
how do you respond

Offline Jeff

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
You tell them, "when people see me open carry and see how polite and respectful and friendly I am they might think twice about the lies that are spread on tv and stop acting like every new restriction is my fault"  or "quit trying to divide us up you jackass"

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »

Again, read the July 2014 newsletter.  Page 11, bottom half.

“Open carry is bad pro-gun PR and will likely lead to stricter gun control.”

Open carry is becoming more prevalent, more widespread across the United States, and—with just a couple of narrow exceptions—most states are simultaneously enacting more pro-gun legislation every year. Although some do have limits, 44 states currently allow open carry. Arkansas recently joined the ranks of full open carry states, and South Carolina had a bill working its way through the legislature that would have also allowed unlicensed open carry. Unfortunately it was killed for this session. Texas is also working very hard to legalize open carry. As with the other spurious anti-open carry arguments, the facts prove just the opposite of what they claim. More states are expanding their “stand your ground” laws and slowly eliminating gun-free zones.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »
Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 us 105
Shuttleworth vs city of birmingham, alabama 317 us 262
miranda vs airizona 384 us 436

seems to me they could just sue the state. telling someone they can not have a gun without a license is wrong. its been established many times.