Author Topic: I think im going to start carrying a huge *** knife  (Read 17693 times)

Offline Scandiacus

Re: I think im going to start carrying a huge *** knife
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
AKTI is the American Knife and Tool Institute (akti.org).  They are a knife rights advocacy group.  Think NRA, but for knives, and less influential.

I don't know what you're talking about in regard to legally carrying a knife in a sheath.  Under Michigan's state law, there is no restriction on the open or concealed carry of folding knives, regardless of whether they're carried in a sheath or pocket.  Carrying a blade with length greater than 3" with unlawful intent is illegal, but otherwise there is no length restriction.  As far as fixed blades and concealment, my understanding is that MCL 750.227 is generally interpreted to apply to double-edged fixed blades, and may apply to to single edged fixed blades as well, depending on how your prosecutor is feeling.  Open carry of fixed blades is permitted outside of a vehicle, in a sheath or otherwise, and concealed carry is permitted when actively engaged in hunting.  Unfortunately, a CPL does not extend to concealment of knives.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so if someone out there knows better, please say so.

If asked, NEVER tell a LEO your knife is for self-defense.  Knives - even big ones - are not a great choice for self defense anyway (especially if you lack significant hand-to-hand combat training) and are at best a last ditch backup to your gun.

Obviously, this is the state law and may vary from town to town.  Below is a link to various local knife laws courtesy of handgunlaw.us, but understand that it may not be all-inclusive or 100% accurate.  Go to municode or individual township/city offices for a more accurate reading of the various ordinances.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »
Yep, you will be billed for your public defender.

Last I knew Lenawee county charge $40 an hour for public defenders. Some aren't worth $25 and hour and some are a bargain at $40. It's just luck of the draw.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:52 PM »
What's the point of know restrictions anyway? I can carry a gun. I can carry it in schools, theaters, banks, businesses, public and even in my own home. When under attack I can use that gun. I can kill someone with that gun. Just as long as I don't use a knife.

Seems anti productive to me

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I think im going to start carrying a huge *** knife
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »

What's the point of know restrictions anyway? I can carry a gun. I can carry it in schools, theaters, banks, businesses, public and even in my own home. When under attack I can use that gun. I can kill someone with that gun. Just as long as I don't use a knife.

Seems anti productive to me

There you go again -- you expect laws to make sense.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
Someone on the internet called me an idealist

Offline Jeff

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
When are you not allowed to use a knife in self defense, I thought you just can't have the intention to carry it for the use of self defense.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
From what i recall, you can carry, you can even carry for self defense. what you can not do is carry with a malicious intent or an illegal intent. and i swear i recall it saying that it could not be concealed, even being in a sheath

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
@OP Don't you think you've had enough personal excitement while carrying this year?

Looking to add more to it? Can you afford the legal headaches? Maybe more media attention...

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
well.

if i leave my firearm locked in the truck, i won't get quite the same attention.

but as mentioned above, there is a group working on some of the knife laws. something that would be a bit more important, so ill hold off on anything other than discussion until i see what happens with them. being that state level only gun laws are a popular thing for Michigan, i can see them doing the same for knives, i hope anyway. that will give me some time to lay low for a while. not that i don't always try to lay low, problem is, i don't give a pet crow's rear end what other people think.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »
HB4262 passed the House overwhelmingly but hasn't gone anywhere in the Senate.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4262

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
So according to that law, you can carry and conceal a knife, as long as its not double edged, and you don't intend to kill someone with it. this sound correct, as far as this act goes?

wonder what law i read/missread

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

So according to that law, you can carry and conceal a knife, as long as its not double edged, and you don't intend to kill someone with it. this sound correct, as far as this act goes?

wonder what law i read/missread

Don't forget: no preemption! That is huge.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 06:01:20 PM »
well. yes. i think anything that is common to do wherever you are at needs to be preemption. anything you do, cross the street, and become a felon is bad.

but as far as concealing and or sheathing, nothing in this act/new act is against it?

Offline Scandiacus

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
When are you not allowed to use a knife in self defense, I thought you just can't have the intention to carry it for the use of self defense.

You can absolutely carry and use one for self-defense legally, but what you don't want to do is tell a LEO you're carrying it for that.  Doing so admits it's a weapon, and thanks to some case law surrounding knives, a knife is considered a dangerous weapon if it is carried with the intention of using it as a weapon, even if that knife is only a little pen knife.  At that point you have a problem if the knife is at all concealed.  Better to say your EDC blade is for opening packages and picking your teeth.  Better still not to answer a LEO's questions about your knife in the first place.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
This knife? I just use it to pick my nose...do you honestly expect me to stick my finger up there officer? That's just gross.

This knife? It's medical.  In case I need to cut off a pant leg to make a tourniquet.  (I had no clue how to spell that word....THANKS GOOGLE!!!!!)

Offline Scandiacus

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
HB4262 passed the House overwhelmingly but hasn't gone anywhere in the Senate.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4262

I spoke with some senators about HB4262 a few months ago.  It has been decided that the bill will die in committee, as apparently Gov. Snyder has made clear he doesn't want any more weapons bills of that sort coming across his desk this session.  Hopefully the bill will be reintroduced next session, but this is the second session it will have died in committee.  All it would have done is clear up some legal phrasing, making it clearly legal to conceal a single-edged fixed blade (double-edged still a no-no), as well as adding fishing, trapping, occupation, and hobby exemptions for concealment.  It would not have allowed for concealment with a CPL, would not legalize switchblades (as last session's bill would have done), and would not have added preemption.

There won't be any progress on knife laws until 2015 at the earliest.

This knife? It's medical.  In case I need to cut off a pant leg to make a tourniquet.  (I had no clue how to spell that word....THANKS GOOGLE!!!!!)

Totally just medical, officer!  It's for performing emergency tracheotomies on people who are choking... or for performing tactical "tracheotomies" on assailants....

Offline Jeff

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
or for performing tactical "tracheotomies" on assailants....

OMG, greatest thing I heard all week lol

It would be better if I wasn't just depressed about Snynder's RINO dipsh__ A__ F___ C___ S______ P____ O_ S___

ROFL AGAIN!!!...... "Tactical Tracheotomies on assailants" I can't stop laughing. 

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
Someone on the internet called me an idealist

I think you spelled it wrong.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
possibly, i am not a very strong speller.