Author Topic: Stupid open carry & automatic pistols  (Read 6182 times)

Offline stiofan

Stupid open carry & automatic pistols
« on: July 20, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
Over on the thread "Stupid Open Carry - Ann Arbor Art Fair" my report of a reckless open carry incident by a young man trying to provoke a bunch of Palestinian demonstrators elicited some sharp comments, especially because I characterized his weapon as an "automatic." I had no idea that is venerable term for magazine fed handguns was so out of fashion that people now think it was never used.

Sorry gents, but I am afraid that ignorant label belongs to others on this forum. Handguns that load themselves by utilizing the force of recoil have been called "automatics" for a long, long time.

I now know how much you guys like pictures so here goes, from the 1938 Colt catalog titled "Colt Firearms: The Arm of Law and Order."

Offline stiofan

Re: Stupid open carry & automatic pistols
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:43 AM »
As long as I'm posting some images from this old Colt catalog, I thought I might as well give you guys some more eye candy.

Offline stiofan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:11:54 AM »
Of course, how could I leave out the classic "hammerless model."

Offline stiofan

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
Let me know if anyone wants to see any more of these. The section labeled "Colt Automatic Pistols" begins on page 29 and has seven models altogether, including the "National Match" version in "45 Automatic."

Offline Raggs

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
Sorry didn't noticed that the original thread had been locked and the OP felt the need to vindicate himself over use of a term even after he had been vindicated by others posts.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
Words evolve over time.  Take a look at the word decimate.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
Let me know if anyone wants to see any more of these. The section labeled "Colt Automatic Pistols" begins on page 29 and has seven models altogether, including the "National Match" version in "45 Automatic."
Please keep in mind that some of the people here didn't even own a gun a couple years ago. They also get their panties in a bunch when some firearms are referred to as "assault rifles." That is precisely the term that was used to market certain rifles in the early '70s. And then there is the grpoup that get overly butthurt when a permit to carry a concealed weapon isn't called a CPL. And let's not forget the semantics battle over clip or mag.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
DID I just hear someone say ASSAULT RIFLE!!!!  :protest:

How dare someone call it a CLIP if it's not a clip.  Sure there are clips but 99% of the time when someone says clip it's a MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :mad:

:SMH: :mad:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Decimate means one out of ten (look up the history of that), and while over time it has grown to mean heavy losses, it has never meant wiped out or nearly wiped out, and people who use it like that are simply ignorant.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Decimate means one out of ten (look up the history of that), and while over time it has grown to mean heavy losses, it has never meant wiped out or nearly wiped out, and people who use it like that are simply ignorant.
Irregardless, it is still used to indicate that.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
Irregardless, it is still used to indicate that.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Stupid open carry & automatic pistols
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
Calling a semi-auto an automatic is like calling a car a horseless carriage. What's worse "automatic" has a completely different meaning in modern times and using that term simply causes confusion.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
While it is a correct term arguing via that position seems to be a semantics argument to distract from the main point of the original post.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
now a days automatic means not semi auto, CQT has a fully automatic m4 from daniel defense they rent. that thing is a blast to shoot.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »
Damn, I've been feeding my 45's the wrong ammo. At least my .38 Super Automatic is still OK, but it doesn't go pewpewpewpew when I pull the trigger; apparently it's broke.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.