General Category > Off Topic Stuff

Ham radio operators?

(1/8) > >>

harleyh77:
Are any MOC members ham radio operators? A few friends and I are wanting to get our license. Where do we start? What kind of equipment is good to start with? What is a good quality handheld for field use? We are located in Kalamazoo, are there any instructors in this area?

TucTom:
Seems to me I remember Onnie (Randy Davis) being an operator. I am pretty sure that is correct. Guessing there may be others, have you done a search here?

Edit: yep I was correct also only 1 other person on the search maybe if they are still here they will answer.

Jeff:
A friend of mines uncle uses them daily, but the mayor ordered him remove his antenna because it was too powerful.  It was actually cutting into other signals relaying his voice through them, and was very annoying.  I can try talking to him to see if he has any information or advice to give to someone.

gryphon:

--- Quote from: Jeff on July 23, 2014, 01:34:11 PM ---A friend of mines uncle uses them daily, but the mayor ordered him remove his antenna because it was too powerful.  It was actually cutting into other signals relaying his voice through them, and was very annoying.
--- End quote ---

The mayor has no authority to tell him that.  That is the FCC's call.  And if he was operating legally he shouldn't even be required to do that simply because his neighbor had a crappy TV or whatever.  Although the FCC has been known to do that!

What signals was he interfering with?

TheQ:
GoldenEagle runs HAM....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version