Author Topic: Pa. doctor shoots patient who killed caseworker  (Read 3840 times)

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Pa. doctor shoots patient who killed caseworker
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
A psychiatric outpatient opened fire Thursday inside a psychiatrist's office at a hospital near Philadelphia, killing his caseworker and slightly wounding the doctor, who reportedly shot the gunman with his personal firearm, authorities said.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/07/24/shooting-hospital-near-philadelphia-injures/13114979/

Check out the quotes from the D.A. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shooting-hospital-philadelphia-injures-24701204
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:37:51 PM by TucTom »

Offline welshj

• First Name (Displayed): Joel
Re: Pa. doctor shoots patient who killed caseworker
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »
"A spokeswoman for the Mercy Health System said the hospital has a policy barring anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying weapons on its campus.

But Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," the chief said"

So why is he in possession to begin with?
Im glad the bad guy with a gun was stopped by a "good guy" with a gun- but was he a good guy then?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:28:34 AM »
I know some medical professionals who carry guns in the hospital.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »
"A spokeswoman for the Mercy Health System said the hospital has a policy barring anyone except on-duty law enforcement officers from carrying weapons on its campus.

But Yeadon Police Chief Donald Molineux said that "without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives."

"Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition," the chief said"

Im glad the bad guy with a gun was stopped by a "good guy" with a gun- but was he a good guy then?

Because concealed is concealed.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
this particular hospital has "gun free zone" signs on each entrance.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

In Michigan, concealed carry in a hospital is a state civil infraction for the first offense.  Second offense is a misdemeanor.  So... first offense is not a crime. (MCL 28.425o and MCL 750.5) The deadly force statute stipulates not "has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime."  (MCL 780.972)

So... If this was Michigan, it's a good legal shoot.  Next one wouldn't be legal.  "Bad guy" is determined by public opinion.  If this exact situation happened a second time, the court of public opinion would still consider him a good guy.

After reviewing Pennsylvania on www.handgunlaw.us.  No guns signs do not carry force of law and hospital carry is not prohibited.  Other than employment issues, I think the doc is good to go.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »
i read an aticle that the doc wont be losing his job. the hospital has praised him for his actions

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
I read another article that stating the hospital will be reviewing it's firearms policy.  I read that as, "The doctor will be allowed to continue carrying."
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36