Author Topic: Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport  (Read 11441 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
He told police that he was just at the airport to get coffee at a Starbucks. When he walked to the other side of the terminal near the B concourse that is when police say he accidentally pointed the AR-15 at two women, that's when he was arrested.

Police arrested Steinmetz on one-felony count of disorderly conduct with a weapon, but he was arraigned on two counts of disorderly conduct with a weapon.  Steinmetz is a high ranking doctor at Barrow Neurological Institute overseeing brain research.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/26134285/2014/07/28/police-doctor-pointed-rifle-at-two-people-in-sky-harbor-airport

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »
He told police that he was just at the airport to get coffee at a Starbucks. When he walked to the other side of the terminal near the B concourse that is when police say he accidentally pointed the AR-15 at two women, that's when he was arrested.

Police arrested Steinmetz on one-felony count of disorderly conduct with a weapon, but he was arraigned on two counts of disorderly conduct with a weapon.  Steinmetz is a high ranking doctor at Barrow Neurological Institute overseeing brain research.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/26134285/2014/07/28/police-doctor-pointed-rifle-at-two-people-in-sky-harbor-airport

I met him recently at a OC function in Phoenix. He's a huge LGOC proponent. Though a bit eccentric, he seemed pretty rational when I met him. The news and police are spinning this story IMHO. I doubt if he intentionally muzzle swept anyone. He didn't help himself by ....wait for it...talking to police though. :(   I wouldn't be surprised if the mother and 17 year old daughter weren't from CA. If so, good luck getting them to testify. I doubt this will ever go to trial.

End report from the field. ;)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

Re: Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
What did he do, sneeze and the muzzle shifted 3 degrees in the direction of someone so the cops had to nail him eh.

You know they were just there going, UGH, I'm so sick of this guy.... lets get em!!

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
And that is why I grab the bottom of my holster if I need to adjust my belt.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
BREAKING: Just released email from Alan Korwin states that no charges will be filed against Dr. Peter Steinmetz, and that the scheduled hearings have been vacated. From Alan Korwin just minutes ago, quoting Dr. Steinmetz:

“No charges have been filed and my two hearings have been vacated.”

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
AND now he sues them for harassment!!?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
We'll see.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:48 PM »
Why is he going into the anti 2A starbucks, and who goes to the airport to hit up a starbucks?

Me thinks he's been sniffing too much ether.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:13:40 PM »
AND now he sues them for harassment!!?

We'll see.

Well it certainly seems he would have grounds to sue the PPD & his employer too. Talk about guilty until proven innocent! People need to ask themselves... if false claims were made against me, would I expect people to give me the benefit of doubt? So then, why are many of us so quick to pass judgement? The media & police had him convicted and heading to a insane institution if you bought into their garbage.  Roll eyes.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »

Well it certainly seems he would have grounds to sue the PPD & his employer too.

Did I miss something?  He get fired?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Re: Re: Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
Did I miss something?  He get fired?

He was suspended. Do to the FALSE allegations against him.
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Brain Doc Arrested for Open Carry at AZ Airport
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:04 AM »
A lot of 1983 cases have a hard time proving damages. He should have no such difficulty.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
UPDATE

Unnamed witness:  "at no time was anyone swept." (rifle pointed at them)

Dr. Peter N. Steinmetz is director of the Brain Modeling Laboratory at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.   He is a second amendment advocate who comments on firearms issues on his facebook page.  From his page, commenting on the Navy Yard Shootings in Washington D.C., where the carry of arms by anyone other than government agents is forbidden:

Sadly, looks like this may be another case of a mass shooting in an area where all the victims are legally disarmed.

He is a passionate supporter of freedom in the United States, who opposes the excesses of the TSA.    He protested TSA excesses by legally carrying a slung rifle in the non-secure part of the Phoenix airport in November of 2013.    From azcentral.com, concerning the November protest:

"I was going to tell you earlier, but I will now," Steinmetz is quoted as saying in the November report. "Well, I am really here to protest the TSA and their policy of strip-searching Americans and all their stuff."

From a post on google+ on November1, two days before the protest, Dr. Steinmetz writes:

They have never demonstrated they have foiled even one plot, and of course, one's chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are minuscule to start with compared to routine daily risks. For the sake of this security theatre, we tolerate a continual invasion of our privacy. Time to get rid of the expensive and wasteful TSA!

On July 25, 2014, Dr. Steinmetz exercised his rights again.   He carried a slung rifle into the unsecured area of Sky Harbor Airport.   But this time, he was arrested, booked, and taken before a judge. It was reported that he was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct involving a firearm.  It was claimed that he had inadvertently and briefly pointed the muzzle of his rifle at two women, who were later said to tell police that they were frightened.   From kmov.com:

According to a probable cause statement, Steinmetz "proceeded to remove the Stag Arm AR-15 from his right shoulder, thus causing the muzzle to face two victims sitting to the right.

The national and international media picked up the charges and blared them everywhere with headlines such as: PD: Phoenix doctor points AR-15 rifle at woman, teen at airport, Doctor points AR-15 rifle at woman and teen in airport.  The facts claimed simply do not support the charges.

Dr. Steinmetz obtained the services of Marc Victor, a prominent local attorney.  The choice of his website name is telling:  attorneyforfreecom.com.   An email from Alan Korwin, gun law guru, quoted Dr. Steinmetz as saying that the hearings had been vacated and that no charges had been filed.

Here is a YouTube video of an interview with Marc Victor about the case.  Note that the anchor at 12news, Mark Curtis,  takes sides in the issue.   He goes so far as to claim that it would be reasonable for Arizonans to "blow away" anyone who would come into a Starbucks with a rifle slung on their shoulder.

In the video, you can see Doctor Steinmetz unsling the rifle.   This is where the police claim that the infamous "muzzle sweep" occurred.    Notice that the Doctor has a cup in his left hand, which would be consistent with the claim that he pointed the gun when he unslung the rifle after buying coffee at the airport Starbucks, then moving to a place to sit down.

The women seated to the right of the Doctor appear to be the women mentioned in the case.  That action is shown in the first seven seconds of the video, then repeated several times throughout the interview.  It is noteworthy that in this interview, the Anchor, Mark Curtis, never repeats the previous claim that Dr. Steinmetz "pointed the rifle at two women".

Attorney Marc Victor - Peter Steinmetz Case (4:21)

An unnamed source has come forward and stated that Doctor Steinmetz exhibited good muzzle discipline, and that the rifle was never pointed at anyone.  Here is the statement, which is consistent with the video shown:

According to the security video (it's an airport, you can't escape big brother's surveillance cameras) the muzzle 'dipped slightly' - possibly in their direction but well over their heads. Apparently and LEO friendly with one of our members was on-site, and reported that at no time was anyone swept.

At the link below the view is clearer,  and you can see Dr. Steinmetz unsling the rifle and sit down.  About five seconds later, a security person comes up and talks to the woman on his right.   About 30 seconds later, Dr. Steinmetz is arrested.

Article with video showing unslinging and arrest.

I have always said that there was likely to be video of the event.  It was an open  question why the authorities would release video of the arrest, but not of the  event.   Now it appears that it was airport security that contacted the women to bolster their charges, rather than the women contacting airport security to complain.

A small number of police and a large number of media personalities do not approve of second amendment rights and the ability of Americans to exercise them without permission.   There are numerous instances where people openly carrying firearms have been arrested on false charges across the nation. Several arrests have been made, only to have charges dropped, and often, settlements paid to those arrested.  The County Attorney, Bill Montgomery, has seven years to file charges in this case.

Dr. Steinmetz was involved in strong, political speech with his protest, protected by both the first and second amendments.   The fact that he was arrested, charged, was suspended from his job, his name smeared across the nation and internationally, with what appear to be false accusations, seems calculated to engender a chilling effect on the exercise of first and second amendment rights.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
I believe in the second amendment BUT *insert the 50 stupid BS comments he made negatively about it*

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
I'm having problems understanding your post.  Just exactly who is the "he" you are referring to?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
I'm having problems understanding your post.  Just exactly who is the "he" you are referring to?

"HE" the interviewer.  How he said stuff about someone walking into starbucks with a rifle over their shoulder, that isn't that a threat to people and will then just get blown away because of the stand your ground laws.  Those kinds of remarks he was making.  I don't feel like watching it over again and typing out the things he was asking.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »
You mean the news anchor Mark Curtis from Channel 12 News?  Yeah, he said some stupid stuff--from our point of view.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
You mean the news anchor Mark Curtis from Channel 12 News?  Yeah, he said some stupid stuff--from our point of view.

Yes. 

...Am I barefoot or something?

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

He - Marc Curtis, is a putz in my honest opinion and I have gone out of my way to avoid his spin for nearly two years now. He supports the 2A about as much as Stalin supported MacArthur in North Korea ...(Korean war reference for the kids reading here).
http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/teachinger/glossary/korean-war.cfm

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/08/video-doctor-with-ar15-at-phoenix.html

-Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »

Update - Dr. Peter Steinmetz held a news conference today.

Link-
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/26194797/2014/08/04/doctor-who-brought-rifle-to-airport-says-he-didnt-do-anything-wrong

-Jeffrey Snyder 1993