Author Topic: McMorris not guilty, civil suit can proceed  (Read 3207 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: McMorris not guilty, civil suit can proceed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:52:02 AM »
When you file felony charges merely to impede a citizen's civil suit, you get your ass handed to you by the courts (I hope):

Yep.  $35K

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2015/07/open-carry_christmas_eve_gun_s.html

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
It looks like the persecuting attorney got off scot-free.

$35k is a very good settlement for false arrest, but I would have rather gotten $10k and a disbarment for malicious prosecution.

Did McMorris only sue the police?
I'm pretty sure he is still within statute of limitations to file a §1983 suit against Leyton, who is by far the most egregious offender in this case.

EDIT: I just left Craig McAra a voice mail. Congratulated him on the settlement, and suggested that if the cops owe his client $35k, the Genesee prostituting attorney's office owes him $100k and David Leyton's license to practice law.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:36:13 AM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:54:24 AM »
Now, the editorials.
Bob Owens:
http://bearingarms.com/michigan-officer-shells-35000-open-carry-stop/
Somehow, I don’t think Flint Township Police will be stopping people who open carry firearms any time soon unless they have a darn good reason.

David Codrea:
http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2015/07/were-only-ones-unshelled-enough.html
     Michigan Officer Shells Out $35,000 For Open Carry Stop
No, the insurance provider did.  It doesn't sound like there'll be any repercussions to the oath-breaker at all, what with Flint Township government maintaining that depriving citizens of rights under color of authority is A-OK with them, and they only settled because it's the cheapest way out.