Author Topic: Question about a Springfield XD/XDM  (Read 4257 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Question about a Springfield XD/XDM
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
Hi,

I know not everyone owns a Springfield XD/XDM -- but I think there is a few individuals out there.  I had this question.

For storage, how does one unset the firing pin without dry firing it?  You could have a snap cap in it and fire it that way -- but that seems a bit cumbersome.

If you do leave the pin back, does that damage the firing pin spring or the lever that holds the firing pin back?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Question about a Springfield XD/XDM
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
First, dry firing your XD or XD-M is unlikely to do any damage to the firearm. It uses center-fire cartridges and thus the firing pin should be unable to make contact with anything during  dry firing.

Second, springs wear from being cycled, not from being compressed. Simply leaving your firing pin back should also be an acceptable solution and is the one that I personally use with my XD45. I don't like the idea of pulling the trigger on my handgun in public if I don't need to and since I am currently between my OK and MI CPL's unloading and reloading are a necessary part of every OC outing.

Last. IANAG (I am not a gunsmith).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:47:24 PM by mosnar87 »
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:40:38 AM »
First, dry firing your XD or XD-M is unlikely to do any damage to the firearm. It uses center-fire cartridges and thus the firing pin should be unable to make contact with anything during  dry firing.

Second, springs wear from being cycled, not from being compressed. Simply leaving your firing pin back should also be an acceptable solution and is the one that I personally use with my XD45. I don't like the idea of pulling the trigger on my handgun in public if I don't need to and since I am currently between my OK and MI CPL's unloading and reloading are a necessary part of every OC outing.

Last. IANAG (I am not a gunsmith).

Thank you for your thoughts.  I did by a Blackhawk SERPA this past week -- it should be arriving next week.  I've heard the XDM may sit a little loose in the holster and rattle, but if it does I have also seen a demo of that problem resolved with moleskin of similar materials in a certain part of the holster.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline skunkworks

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »
I agree with the advice above.  I carry an XD and almost never dry fire when unloading.  Just leave it "cocked".  The great thing about the XD is that there is a loaded chamber indicator to aid in clearing.  I too would not be comfortable in the habit of pulling the trigger in public.  Just drop the mag, cycle out the round in the pipe (with your booger-hook off the bang-switch), do it again a couple more times to be sure, visual check, then lock it up or whatever you intend.  It won't hurt it at all to leave it this way.  The XD is a robust platform.