Author Topic: Test new OC locations with disposable gun?  (Read 21062 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Test new OC locations with disposable gun?
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
Is it at all probable to be arrested/confiscated (by the Grand Rapids Gestapo, for example) for simply walking about town, visiting the library, etc?

Or has every cop in the state already been properly desensitized?

If you do lose your pistol to a cop, how many months does it take to get it back?

The reason why I ask is I'm wondering if it would be prudent to have a very cheap pistol, say a Hi-Point, in the holster in case I run into a truly badge heavy idiot. (or a lying librarian who tells the cops I brandished)
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Test new OC locations with disposable gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »
What the Flip kind of questions are those? Before you post your first post, read the forums you may see a lot of questions already answered. Why would you "carry" a "cheap pistol"? Are you already looking to get arrested?????????

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »
Anything is possible and there is no shortage of cases where the local criminal gang ....errrr, police department (or Sheriff, or MSP) have hassled OCers, detained them, arrested them, or confiscated their property.

That being said, these are the vast minority of cases. I would guess 99% of OCers have no encounters of any significance in a given year.

We try to work closely with law enforcement to educate them. In fact, one of our BoD members is a LEO.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »
Why would you "carry" a "cheap pistol"?

To test the response of the indigenous LEO population.
If they fail the test, I don't want them walking away with my favorite 1911 in an evidence bag.
I'd like some idea of the odds. I suspect it's a long shot like 100:1 by now, but would like to know in advance if I'm overestimating LEO education.

The first thing I'd do is test to see if Charlotte librarians and police are compliant with the results of the CADL suit.

BTW, what's wrong with carrying a cheap pistol?
I'm talking about something totally functional, like a  Hi-Point .45ACP, not a mechanized joke like a Raven .25ACP.
The only thing I see functionally wrong with carrying a Hi-Point is the possible awkwardness of drawing a gun with a slide the size and shape of a brick.

Are you already looking to get arrested?????????

Not looking forward to it, but I can't control the actions of others, especially those who believe their badge confers omnipotence.
I'd rather be arrested for OC than refuse to OC out of fear of possible unlawful arrest.

A right you're afraid to exercise is a right that you voluntarily relinquish.

Q posted while I was typing the above.
Sounds like his estimate of the odds is similar to mine.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »
Why carry a 1911? A true 1911 only has 7(?) rounds as it is single stack. Why limit yourself like that?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
In short,  I'd carry what I own.

I like 1911s. Nothing wrong with a Glock or M&P, but trying to stick me with one is like trying to sell a AR to somebody who likes walnut stocked Pre-64 Winchester 70s.

A GI mag allows for 7+1. Two 230gr JHPs per customer. (one hit on a subject and two on bystanders per 17rd Glockload is NYPD standards, not mine)

If there are more than four of them there's a good chance #5 is going to have time to do something to you while you're dealing with the first four no matter how much firepower you have.

Most 1911s not striving for GI authenticity come with 8 rd mags. Every single stack I've owned did, even the 3" carry guns.
You can always load 8+1 and carry a 10rd spare. 19rd of 230gr HP goes a long way.

Besides, how do you know 'my favorite 1911' isn't THIS? (BTW, that is a screaming steal on a gun that lists for $1449)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:19:16 PM by CitizensHaveRights »

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Why carry a 1911? A true 1911 only has 7(?) rounds as it is single stack. Why limit yourself like that?
.45 ACP because shooting twice is silly lol.

1911 is a timeless classic, that being said i like mt 14+1 in .40 S&W over 7+! in .45acp

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
My biggest stink here is the fact that you want to "test" the police and librarians.  That is just a horrible mindset to have for open carry. 

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
Benjamin, I don't see what's wrong with checking up on my employees.

If they obey the law, then fine, I can rest easy.
If they insist on violating state law, then corrective action is needed. 

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
How about just going about your life and doing what you normally do?

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
Going to the library, reading a magazine, and borrowing a couple of books is one of the things I normally do.

It's just after the much publicized assault with a deadly and perjury in GR last year (still a year away from federal court trial for civil rights violations) and this year's conclusion of CADL v MOC, a little voice in the back of my head was whispering "do you want a throwaway gun for that?" (After the video from Calumet county posted here this afternoon, the little voice is starting to shout)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
Going to the library, reading a magazine, and borrowing a couple of books is one of the things I normally do.

It's just after the much publicized assault with a deadly and perjury in GR last year (still a year away from federal court trial for civil rights violations) and this year's conclusion of CADL v MOC, a little voice in the back of my head was whispering "do you want a throwaway gun for that?" (After the video from Calumet county posted here this afternoon, the little voice is starting to shout)
A really smart person has suggested that unless you have bail money and sufficient resources to hire an attorney, then maybe you shouldn't be open carrying.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »
A really smart person has suggested that unless you have bail money and sufficient resources to hire an attorney, then maybe you shouldn't be open carrying.

Fortunately, that doesn't have anything to do with me.
My point in this discussion might be made with an analogy:
If you suspected the local LEOs were planning to arrest you on false charges of solicitation and seize your vehicle, would you keep driving the Corvette you intend to leave to your grandchildren some day, or would you park it and drive your "winter car" for a while?

Also I'm apparently trying to come up with an excuse to buy a Hi-Point to play with even though I'll probably give it away or sell it in a few months. I read some reports last weekend that they are surprisingly accurate and reliable, and suddenly I'm feeling guilty over looking down my nose at my young nephew's pride and joy (a Haskell .45) twenty years ago and feel like I need to make amends. (I did shoot it when offered, all i can remember is that I pulled the trigger twice and it went bang twice. I don't know if I was more surprised that it worked or that it had an acceptable trigger pull. Ugliest gun I ever held in my hand.) Besides, if I found out I could shoot a Hi-Point really well, it would be kind of funny to take it to a CPL class and see what reactions I got.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:27:13 PM by CitizensHaveRights »

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 05:10:57 AM »
How old are you?

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
50, balding, some gray hair, beard totally gray if I let it grow.
Not the sort that looks threatening at all.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
50, balding, some gray hair, beard totally gray if I let it grow.
Not the sort that looks threatening at all.

But it sounds like you are going to put off a "I'm going to test you" vibe anyway. It doesn't matter if you "look threatening" or not. It is the body language that people will see.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
Fortunately, that doesn't have anything to do with me.
My point in this discussion might be made with an analogy:
If you suspected the local LEOs were planning to arrest you on false charges of solicitation and seize your vehicle, would you keep driving the Corvette you intend to leave to your grandchildren some day, or would you park it and drive your "winter car" for a while?

Also I'm apparently trying to come up with an excuse to buy a Hi-Point to play with even though I'll probably give it away or sell it in a few months. I read some reports last weekend that they are surprisingly accurate and reliable, and suddenly I'm feeling guilty over looking down my nose at my young nephew's pride and joy (a Haskell .45) twenty years ago and feel like I need to make amends. (I did shoot it when offered, all i can remember is that I pulled the trigger twice and it went bang twice. I don't know if I was more surprised that it worked or that it had an acceptable trigger pull. Ugliest gun I ever held in my hand.) Besides, if I found out I could shoot a Hi-Point really well, it would be kind of funny to take it to a CPL class and see what reactions I got.

MY woman took her cpl class with her hipoint c9 and shot just as well as me to be top of class in accuracy. nice tight groupings. they are good, ugly, reliable, accurate guns

i find recoild isnt bad at all probably due to the massive slide on it. its fairly top heavy

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
But it sounds like you are going to put off a "I'm going to test you" vibe anyway.

What the Flip kind of statement is that?

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
You forgot the rest of my statement. I quoted your statement about you not looking threatening.

But you also clearly have said you want to "test" Police and Librarians. So you seem to me to be a person who wants to put off that vibe.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 10:38:20 AM »
But you also clearly have said you want to "test" Police and Librarians. So you seem to me to be a person who wants to put off that vibe.

To be fair, MOC members individually and collectively do this exact thing on occasion.