Author Topic: It'Is is illegal to open carry a pistol not in your name.....  (Read 4920 times)

Offline EFizzle2015

• First Name (Displayed): EFizzle2015
It'Is is illegal to open carry a pistol not in your name.....
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
I'm in the process of buying a gun from my brother. I have the pistol in my possession at my apartment, but it's still registered to him. I generally open carry it in public (never been stopped or approached by police), and I know unless a cop has suspicion a crime has been committed, I technically don't have to give him my info or info on my gun. I'm not a felon and could get a CPL if I wanted, just don't have the funds right now. Regardless, is it illegal in the state of Michigan to open carry this pistol, even though it's in my brothers name at the moment? Any and all info, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated, thanks. I'm also new to this board/forum. Thanks again!

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: It'Is is illegal to open carry a pistol not in your name.....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:22:44 PM »
If you don't have a CPL, it's illegal for you to POSSESS a handgun that isn't registered with the MSP in your name.
In short, if you live with your brother, keep it in his bedroom until you legally transfer it to your name.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
is it illegal in the state of Michigan to open carry this pistol, even though it's in my brothers name at the moment?

Yes!  It is illegal to carry or possess a pistol that isn't registered to you without a CPL.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
If you don't have a CPL, it's illegal for you to POSSESS a handgun that isn't registered with the MSP in your name.

Stupid, stinking Michigan registration law.  Its really bad that you can loan your gun to your wife, child, relative, or friend in Michigan.   :( :( :(

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
Asked/answered. Cite: MCL 28.422
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).