Author Topic: Greetings From Traverse City  (Read 5941 times)

Offline MGDell

• Podcast Help Desk
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Greetings From Traverse City
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now.  Very interesting.  Not exactly sure how much I will OC.

A little about me.

I've Concealed Carried now for 15 years (or so) and never really thought about open carry until recently.  Before that, I lived in Idaho for a few years and out there, we did open carry, but so did a BUNCH of people so it wasn't nearly as rare as it seems to be around here (Traverse City).

My work takes me all over the state (and sometimes Illinois, Indiana and Ohio) (***and, Yes, I know you can't legally carry in IL until you get a non-resident permit). 

I always believed the "element of surprise argument" for CCW over OC until I read a couple of good arguments for OC.  I'm not one to want to "Spread the Word" much.  I still haven't OCed much around here or on the road. I do, however uncover when pumping gas at night (it's a start).

I'm a firm believer in keeping things simple. To that end, I don't have a big carry gun collection.  I have 2 carry guns. A glock 27 and a Glock 22.  They both work the same, look almost the same other than size and shoot the same.  I only have 3 holsters that I use routinely (also to keep it simple). One is a IWB (and I can't remember which one because I bought it so long ago) and the other 2 are a brand new for OC.  It's a Gould & Goodrich Gold Line paddle with thumb break for the G27 and a Galco open top belt holster for the G22 (which I'm going to replace with one with the thumb break.

I look forward to reading though back posts on the forum here.

-Mike
Traverse City

-Mike
Traverse City, MI

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
Re: Greetings From Traverse City
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »
Welcome :)

First did you know with the new Ill. law, you can carry loaded in your car without their license: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,4389.msg36204.html#msg36204

I don't consider myself a very talkative person, so open carry lets me express my view on the 2nd A without saying a word.

I also like the concept of "keep it simple". I myself only own one pistol but hopefully not for long :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:37:32 AM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)

If you haven't already done it, you should subscribe to our email updates.  You can select to receive MOC Legislative Alerts, Event Alerts, and/or our Newsletter.

http://miopencarry.org/updates/

If you haven't already downloaded and read it, the link below is our latest newsletter.  It is filled with original articles as well as 250 hyperlinks to additional content.  In this issue is an article titled The Open Carry Debate which discusses the pros and cons of open carry, exposing the oft-repeated myths by anti-OCers.  Be ready to answer the anti-open carry arguments of your friends and family with some of the best reasons to open carry.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/publications/newsletter/MOC-Newsletter-4.pdf

Do you ever see Chef Mario Batali around town?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Welcome from Holt!

I started by OCing in my neighborhood on walks.  It's a quiet place to start.  Most people won't notice a handgun on the hip even if they are staring out their windows.

My carry guns are a Glock 17, 26, and 42 as a CC BUG.  All function the same, I have matching holsters for them all.  Well, almost... No ankle holster for the 17. ;)
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »
Welcome from Kalamazoo, a good start. Sounds like you know what you plan on doing as far as carrying. But remember to carry in comfort, as in not nervous.

Offline MGDell

• Podcast Help Desk
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!   Yes, I did read yesterday about the change in Ill laws re: carry while in your car.  Very good!  :)

I am subscribed to the newsletter / mailing list. 

-Mike
Traverse City, MI

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
Mike,
Welcome to a great group.
I am the Regional Coordinator for Northern Michigan. If I can be of any help, send me a message. We have some active members in TC that would gladly meet up with you and talk OC. Andy Merek and Nick Madole. Friend them on our FB page.
Look forward to meeting you the next time we have an event in TC.
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Greetings From Traverse City
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Greetings.

Ever considered going for a stroll in your own neighborhood in the evening while OC? People feel safer/more comfortable near their own home.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline MGDell

• Podcast Help Desk
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:49:32 AM »
Yes, I have OC near the house on a walk.  I go on the "TART" trail (a walking/biking trail that crosses TC) and in the neighborhood behind my house.  Mostly at dusk. 

-Mike
Traverse City, MI

Offline nmadole

• Wizard
  • MOC Member
    • The Gun Store
  • First Name (Displayed): Nick Madole
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 12:11:02 AM »
Welcome from Traverse City :), I OC around town frequently
Owner - The Gun Store / Elysium Armament Nick@Migunstore.com

www.MIGunStore.com

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
What part of town do you live? I'm from TC originally - lived near the airport (and subsequently the TART trail).
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Zergling

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Welcome! You live in a beautiful area!

Offline MGDell

• Podcast Help Desk
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
I live on 3 Mile by Mitchell creek (and the TART trail)  :)  Same area I'm sure.

-Mike
-Mike
Traverse City, MI

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
I live on 3 Mile by Mitchell creek (and the TART trail)  :)  Same area I'm sure.

-Mike

Uhh, I would say so.

Upper half of Avenue D (that intersects with Parsons).
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide