Author Topic: Crimes by Concealed Carriers are Rare in Illinois  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
Crimes by Concealed Carriers are Rare in Illinois
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
This is not a surprise to gun owners but the media predictions didn't come true.   I'm always amazed when the anti gunners use the "Wild West" analogy.  The information that I have read indicates that there were very few murders back when most everyone had a 6 shooter on their hip.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/conceal-carry-gun-owner-crimes-rare-in-illinois/931203/

Friday, August 14, 2015 06:11PM
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Crimes committed by concealed-carry gun owners are rare in Illinois, which has been issuing concealed weapons permits for less than two years.

When the first concealed-carry permit was issued in the state on December 18, 2013, there were predictions that Illinois would turn into the Wild West.

That, of course, hasn't happened. Friday's apparent murder-suicide involving a licensed concealed weapon owner is unusual.

There are now more than 120,000 concealed-carry licensees in Illinois and it is extremely rare to hear about a permit holder being involved in any violent crime, much less a murder. Friday's was the first of 2015 according to police officials, if not the first at all here since Illinois passed concealed carry.

The Illinois standards and requirements are rigorous.

Among them:

No violent criminal history, not even a misdemeanor.

No pending warrants.

No objections by local law enforcement.

Full background check.

16 hours of firearms training by a state police-approved instructor.

So far, Illinois has revoked only a couple hundred concealed weapons permits for various infractions, 80 in Cook County.

And there hasn't been a notorious case here, such as the infamous George Zimmerman in Florida, one of the original concealed carry states.

In 2017 Zimmerman, with a legally-carried pistol, fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin while on a neighborhood watch.

The number of concealed gun permits in Illinois is actually far short of what had been predicted. With many experts saying 300,000 licenses would be likely, only about a third of that number has been granted permits. Nationally, more than 11 million people currently hold concealed carry permits.

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Crimes by Concealed Carriers are Rare in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Snip. ...In 2017 Zimmerman, with a legally-carried pistol, fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin while on a neighborhood watch...

Ooh, cool, they've finally figured out how to predict future crimes.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Re: Crimes by Concealed Carriers are Rare in Illinois
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:33:07 PM »
Nationally, more than 11 million people currently hold concealed carry permits.

Quick math... (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/26000.html)
318,857,056 US population 2014 estimate
23.3% population under 18 years old
244,563,361 US population over 18 yrs old (I know most states are 21 yrs+, but that data isn't reported)

11 million permits / US population over 18 yrs = ~4.5% of adults have concealed permits.  Using the same math, Michigan is about 6%.

The wild west myth has been debunked, yet this emotional based argument is used very frequently.  Good to see a news outlet actually reporting facts, not emotions.  Until they brought in Zimmerman.  Really?!? WTF? move on.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36