Author Topic: Allo from Sterling Heights  (Read 8269 times)

Offline Zergling

Allo from Sterling Heights
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
New to firearms, never open carried, and never thought I could find such a great community. I hope in the coming months/years I can find some cool people to OC with, shoot with, and just talk/hang out with. Maybe someone will eventually pop my OC cherry over a cup of coffee.

I'll edit this with more information about myself later tonight or tomorrow. Basic stuff: 27 year old cancer survivor. I shoot an FNS-40 and love to fish. I'm a hardcore computer geek! Anyway, hello and thanks for such a great community.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:28:34 PM by Zergling »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Allo from Sterling Heights
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
Welcome from Belleville

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
welcome from Kentwood

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
Welcome from Evart.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »
Greetings from Charlotte.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
challenge accepted, your cherry is MINE!! see you tonight sir unless i hear otherwise

Offline Zergling

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
challenge accepted, your cherry is MINE!! see you tonight sir unless i hear otherwise

Next week you can have my cherry. Just be gentle, I don't want my first time to scare me away.

Offline Zergling

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
Well, boys, today I finally got rid of my cheap nylon holster I bought on day 1(which made me feel like I was carrying my sidearm in a grocery bag). Say hello to my little baby in her new Safariland. Thank God I don't plan on concealing inside the waist, I'm too small/skinny to try and make it not noticable.

The lady I bought the holster from said that I need to remember my magazines and pistol need to be unloaded/locked in the trunk and my actual ammunition needed to be in the front of the car(she said glovebox). Made me think for a second and I remembered reading the guide for people new to open carry...it said as long as a loaded magazine wasn't in the magazine well and there wasn't a round chambered I was good to go?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:12:33 PM by Zergling »

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
Read the FAQ.

Assuming no CPL, magazine removed from firearm (including the chambered round).  Magazine can be anywhere in the car, including your pocket, or even in the gun case which is properly stowed per law.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »

Read the FAQ.

Assuming no CPL, magazine removed from firearm (including the chambered round).  Magazine can be anywhere in the car, including your pocket, or even in the gun case which is properly stowed per law.

Where is the FAQ? ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Zergling

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
Main page > FAQ on left side > New to Open Carry > Your answer!

But you knew that already! ;)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »

But you knew that already! ;)

Considering Tom and I wrote it....

There is an FAQ here: http://miopencarry.org/faq

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
yes he asked me that last night, i explained that by the way the law was written yes it can be in the same case as the firearm. could he encounter a LEO who interprets the law another way and gives him greif for it? sure can. to be safe before i had my cpl i kept mags up front with me to help curb the risk of some dbag leo doing some BS

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
Has the vehicle carry law changed in the last 30 years or so?
I could have sworn the DNR's hunting and trapping guide used to say the ammo must be stored separately from the gun, so I always kept it in the glove box.

(not that the DNR's guide to hunting regulations could be considered the ultimate authority on gun laws, but it was pretty much all we had before the internet.)
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »
Has the vehicle carry law changed in the last 30 years or so?
I could have sworn the DNR's hunting and trapping guide used to say the ammo must be stored separately from the gun, so I always kept it in the glove box.

(not that the DNR's guide to hunting regulations could be considered the ultimate authority on gun laws, but it was pretty much all we had before the internet.)
Michigan has this little known and little used published section call michigan complied laws.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Well, yes, we could always go to a law school library and look stuff up, but who really did that, especially when the state government thoughtfully provided free pamphlets at every hunting license vendor that explained the law (the way the DNR wanted you to understand it, which might not have been the way it was actually worded)?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »
yes he asked me that last night, i explained that by the way the law was written yes it can be in the same case as the firearm. could he encounter a LEO who interprets the law another way and gives him greif for it? sure can. to be safe before i had my cpl i kept mags up front with me to help curb the risk of some dbag leo doing some BS

I'd keep the mags out of site to avoid LEO suspicion there is a gun in the car at all.

I'd use the center console instead of a glove box. A center console is less likely to be opened during a traffic stop than a glove box (registration, insurance, etc)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »
before his welcome thread gets further hi-jacked.

just wanted to say i met with Zergling last night at biggby at 18 and hayes. we got some drinks, sat down and shot the sh*t. 2 guys enjoying coffee, well i had a redbull smoothie. made sure to bring a trifold with all that great info and a pocket update 86 to supply. tried my absolute best to represent the org in a positive way and answer any questions i was able to. great experience. glad to help a new comer
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:19:55 PM by SD40VE »