Author Topic: CC in Meijer or similar stores  (Read 17242 times)

Offline chromecat

• First Name (Displayed): Chell
CC in Meijer or similar stores
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Hi All,

I'm assuming you all can answer this for me since this seems to be the go to place or all things carry. Depending on whether or not I'm in my work gear has a lot to do with OC vs CC. Looking through the different forums, I notice comments regarding being careful about going into Meijer (or other stores that sell alcohol) without having and CPL and OC'ing. My question is this, it doesn't appear that these type of locations, even a QD, would qualify as a location that per MCL 28.425o "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises". Even if you don't consider the rest of the statement, none of these places would consider alcohol as their primary income source. Am I or am I not allowed to CC there? Am I missing something? Thanks!

Offline TeMpTiN

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dory
Re: CC in Meijer or similar stores
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
***Liquor license, NO CPL - NO CARRY anywhere on property. *Except if you have permission from the owner/management, preferably in writing.

***Liquor license, CPL, not sold for consumption on premises - OC or CC.

***Liquor license, CPL, alcohol sold for consumption and primary source of income, OC only.

***Liquor license, CPL, alcohol sold for consumption and NOT primary source of income, CC or OC.

Ref: MCL 
750.234d
28.425o

Primary means largest single source.
There is no % in the MCL only primary source is written.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
without having and CPL and OC'ing.

Am I or am I not allowed to CC there? Am I missing something? Thanks!
Do you or don't you have a CPL?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
Hi All,

I'm assuming you all can answer this for me since this seems to be the go to place or all things carry. Depending on whether or not I'm in my work gear has a lot to do with OC vs CC. Looking through the different forums, I notice comments regarding being careful about going into Meijer (or other stores that sell alcohol) without having and CPL and OC'ing. My question is this, it doesn't appear that these type of locations, even a QD, would qualify as a location that per MCL 28.425o "A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises". Even if you don't consider the rest of the statement, none of these places would consider alcohol as their primary income source. Am I or am I not allowed to CC there? Am I missing something? Thanks!

I'm assuming, since you quoted the CPL statute and the later statement, you possess a valid CPL.

TeMpTiN is correct, but I'll elaborate based solely on the Meijer and QD in your question.

For concealed carry only, MCL 28.425o is applicable.  Meijer and QD do not sell alcohol by the glass for consumption on the premises.  You are within your legal rights to carry concealed.

For open carry only, MCL 750.234d is applicable.  However, MCL 750.234d(2)(c) makes MCL 750.234d(1)(h) not applicable to you.  You are within your legal rights to carry openly.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline chromecat

• First Name (Displayed): Chell
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
I do have my CPL. Thanks for the great responses!

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »
Welcome chromecat!

***Liquor license, NO CPL - NO CARRY anywhere on property. *Except if you have permission from the owner/management, preferably in writing.

***Liquor license, CPL, alcohol sold for consumption and primary source of income, OC only.

***Liquor license, CPL, alcohol sold for consumption and NOT primary source of income, CC or OC.

750.234d
28.425o

Welcome TeMpTiN! Accurate first post!
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

750.234d
28.425o

Considering that Beer and or whiskey are mostly water does that mean we can carry in our local bar?

I always interpreted that to mean beverages that contained alcohol and all other sales.
Just the two categories rather then buggers, fries, malts, cokes, sweaters, hats, spare ribs, baked potatoes, etc.   

Offline TeMpTiN

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dory
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »
Coats and hats would be "merch".
Shakes, malts, burgers, fries, would be "food".
Some places may even offer "services".
Bar is always separate.

To answer your last question YES legally you can carry at your local bar, provided just like any other private property the ownership/management does not say no.

Probably better OC if it is a Bar. Many people here go to bars for food and company not just booze, and many myself included carry in them.

If you do and you run into management that wants you to leave, be polite and do so. I would not feel obligated to pay my bill, but I would tip my waitress/waiter. If you feel comfortable and want to continue going to the venue we can help you to educate management / owners and some change their minds.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
If you do and you run into management that wants you to leave, be polite and do so. I would not feel obligated to pay my bill, but I would tip my waitress/waiter. If you feel comfortable and want to continue going to the venue we can help you to educate management / owners and some change their minds.

"You're management here?"
"You're refusing service and you wish me to leave?"
"Since you're refusing to serve me, there's no bill, right?"
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 02:22:20 AM »
Ok my phone is not letting me pull mcls without a cpl is it ok to carry in mejier? Or like wise stores? I have over many times in to those kinds of stores never had a problem.

Spelling destroyed by tapatalk

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »
It is unlawful to posses a firearm on the premises of an establishment licensed under the Michigan Liquor Control Act, unless you have a CPL, permission (I recommend you get this in writing), or are otherwise exempt.

750.234d(1)h
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 08:08:22 PM »
Wow didn't know that nether did the officers that I have talked to

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
Wow didn't know that nether did the officers that I have talked to

Why doesn't that surprise me?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
Why doesn't that surprise me?

Because you've been around a long time, saw a lot of $#|t, and nothing surprises you now!
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
Ok so without a cpl there are very few places you can actually carry in. its kinda ridiculous

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Ok so without a cpl there are very few places you can actually carry in. its kinda ridiculous

You sort of have it bass ackwards.
Actually there are a lot of places that a person without a CPL can OC.
There are a few places that are prohibited.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
I was going to say that that is a real negative way of looking at this.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »

Read the FAQ.  OC without a CPL requires additional knowledge and attention, but as Pat said, there are lots of places one can carry.