Author Topic: Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster  (Read 32766 times)

Offline Wardo

Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
Well, i got the Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster with the paddle, and LOVE IT already. 

Just for an idea of size and all, i carry a Beretta 92. 

*The paddle seems to take some stress off the belt line which is a plus. 
*It is adjustable on the paddle so you may change the angle of the weapon which is another great feature.   
*It has an adjustable trap, so you can customize how easy the draw is ( i have mine fairly loose and its still locked in there super tight )   
*the release button is very easy to control and while drawing i notice my finger is at the stand-by position along the slide.

No downsides yet, but will add any if found.   
-----------------------------------------------
God made man, Sam Colt made him equal!

Offline Advanced Security

Re: Review on Holster - Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 Sportster
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »
Just a caution as with all serpa holsters, they eventually will scratch the gun.  I lined mine with a bit of fleece.  It's amazing what that can do for you. 

I'm glad you like it!

Jeff

Offline Wardo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Thats a great idea.  Did you line the entire inside or just specific areas?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »

Just specific areas.  Next time I do it though, I will do it a tad different.  I already had wear marks on the holster, so I could see where it was rubbing, then used fabric glue, and attached 2 narrow (1/2") strips of fleece.  Its eliminated everything on mine.  Not that the gun was loose before, but it had a little front to back (cant) play.  Not anymore, it's real solid.  Dang near silent coming out and in too.  If I were to do it again, I'd use a thinner fabric, I love the fleece, but I'd use thinner fleece.  I let mine dry over night before I fit my gun in it.  Also, before I glued it to the holster, I dry fitted it, to make sure it wasn't snagging anywhere odd.  When I do it again, the strips of fleece will extend all the way to the top of the holster, just for my peace of mind that they don't snag. 

I remove my gun VERY frequently.  This has cured almost everything I can think of.

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:56:48 AM »

Just specific areas.

Could you elaborate on the areas?  Maybe include pictures? :)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 03:41:52 AM »
Could you elaborate on the areas?  Maybe include pictures? :)

My Serpa put two lines on top of the slide, one of either side of the front sight.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Wardo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Pictures would be great. 

TheQ, was it just the slide?  Can you show us the area so i can better understand where the danger is?  Dont wanna hurt my Retta.   :P

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Pictures would be great. 

TheQ, was it just the slide?  Can you show us the area so i can better understand where the danger is?  Dont wanna hurt my Retta.   :P

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
Pictures would be great. 

Notice the plastic showing just above the fleece, I would've liked to extend it all the way to the top.  The frame of my gun, is plastic, so for me there was no other need to soften any surfaces.  If you're Berretta is steel, you may want to check out other places.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:17:09 AM »
My Serpa put two lines on top of the slide, one of either side of the front sight.
Bronson

Many thanks for the extra details and the pictures, kind sir.

Offline Wardo

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »
Thank you sir, the picture helped a lot.   I will "attempt" to fix mine up this weekend.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
Cool, good luck!

Need anything else, either PM me, or post here.  BTW, where in Clinton Twp, you at?

Jeff

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
Perhaps black felt would work well.  Most craft stores have them in about 8x11 inch sheets.  Felt is just a processed wool.  The black would blend into the holster better.  Also you can also get small black leather sheets and cut to shape.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:48 AM »
I just received my Blackhawk today.  I stopped by JoAnne's fabrics on the way home and bought a 10"x12" patch of (black) felt for $.28.  I also picked up some Liquid Stitch.

Before applying the material to the holster the weapon did have a fair amount of play back/forth.  I retrofitted it with the felt as described above.  All rocking ceased after fitting it with the fabric.  I have also attached a picture.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Looking good!  I love how it kills all that play.

I notice you have the paddle still attached, I have the belt loops, and like it well enough.  I hate having to take the paddle on and off though.  You like it?

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
I notice you have the paddle still attached, I have the belt loops, and like it well enough.  I hate having to take the paddle on and off though.  You like it?

I like the paddle for the extra stability it gives.  It is a bit of a PITA as far as removal, but the only way to get the belt nearly that stable is to make said belt so tight it nearly cuts me in half.  The stability is worth the PITA, IMHO.

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
I just returned my SERPA holster because you have to hit the button before lifting. If not, the button locks. Its a neat safety feature but I started competition shooting for IDPA and it takes A LOT of practice to clear the holster in a reasonable time. I bought a De Santis brown leather Mini Slide for my Glock, and it's wonderful. The cant isn't adjustable though, but I will live. Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges. I liked my SEPRA dont get me wrong, but weighing out my options I was better off getting rid of it.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline Bronson

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges.

That's not the holster's fault, that's poor training and trigger finger discipline.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
Also a lot of competitions are banning the SERPA's now. Too many accidental/negligent discharges.

That's not the holster's fault, that's poor training and trigger finger discipline.

Bronson

Amen!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
One of the MagPul guys, who is very trained, and has good enough discipline IMO, had an ND while trying to draw in a defensive pistol demonstration. This guy has had more training than me on the SERPA, and is specifically trained on the SERPA. If it can happen to him, it can happen to anybody. Like I said, I had a SERPA until today when I took it back. I don't feel like being "that guy" on the range, lol.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
I don't draw any differently from a Serpa than I do from any other holster.  In ANY holster my trigger finger lays along side the side and on the Serpa this normal action releases the lock.  I don't see how the Serpa causes the problem if the holster is designed to release when you lay your finger where it's supposed to go in the first place.

I think the problem arises from people thinking they have to "press the button" when they don't.  Simply lay your finger along the button, where it is supposed to be anyway, and the lock releases.

Bronson

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
It comes down to the fact that some people just do not practice enough.

I feel that before I will carry in a specific holster I must do 100+ draws.

I also will not carry in a holster that I have not rune at the range from several positions.

That said I have well over 1000 draws from my BH Serpa and have never even come close to an ND.

Being trained and proficient are two distinctly different things!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
Either way, I saved myself the trouble of finding out. Also I no longer have to worry about paddle snaps breaking or my weapon sticking. Saved myself the trouble. People are always going to be stuck in their ways and when you say something about a certain brand of gear that someone else owns, they are going to defend it until the end anyways. I know, I did it until today. I feel more comfortable with my new De Santis. I defended my SERPA to my CPL instructor the whole day and I caught crap for it the whole day too. I didn't care. I defended my SERPA. Then I saw the stuff happen on video after the class. He brought in his laptop with the vids on it and showed a few of us who had SERPA's there. I feel I am more comfortable with my De Santis Mini Slide.

PS if you notice I recommended the SERPA at the beginning of this post  :o :o :o

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
PS if you notice I recommended the SERPA at the beginning of this post  :o :o :o
Correction, it was his other post on what to buy.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
      I have had my BH more than 6mos. Had no problems. Smooth and fast on the draw.  I love to carry it when i open carry. I use the paddle more than the belt. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 03:30:49 AM »
Either way, I saved myself the trouble of finding out. Also I no longer have to worry about paddle snaps breaking or my weapon sticking. Saved myself the trouble. People are always going to be stuck in their ways and when you say something about a certain brand of gear that someone else owns, they are going to defend it until the end anyways. I know, I did it until today. I feel more comfortable with my new De Santis. I defended my SERPA to my CPL instructor the whole day and I caught crap for it the whole day too. I didn't care. I defended my SERPA. Then I saw the stuff happen on video after the class. He brought in his laptop with the vids on it and showed a few of us who had SERPA's there. I feel I am more comfortable with my De Santis Mini Slide.

I don't disagree with the things you've said about the Serpa holster.  It most certainly will lock up if you pull the gun up before releasing it...that is a training issue.  If someone actively hooks their finger because they think they have to push the button to release the lock they are setting themselves up to slide their finger into the guard during the draw...again, a training issue.  I have a couple of Serpas and they were my second choice because I couldn't effectively use the Safariland SLS holsters.  I've since been introduced to the Safariland ALS holsters and am currently carrying in one.  But it too will lock up if you pull up on the gun before releasing the lock but that is not a fault of the holster, it is working as designed.  I actually prefer leather holsters (I make my own) but I carry a 1911 and a leather holster with a retention strap that won't interfere with the cocked and locked saftey on the a 1911 is a pain in the butt to make so I go with commercially produced retention holsters.

Bronson

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
You know, I was always a kydex guy. I loved the durability. I never thought I would see myself in leather. But I do have to say, leather is nice.

Offline dougwg

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
One of the MagPul guys, who is very trained, and has good enough discipline IMO, had an ND while trying to draw in a defensive pistol demonstration. This guy has had more training than me on the SERPA, and is specifically trained on the SERPA. If it can happen to him, it can happen to anybody. Like I said, I had a SERPA until today when I took it back. I don't feel like being "that guy" on the range, lol.

Which Magpul guy and when?

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
I don't remember who it was, my defensive handgun trainer was telling me about it.

Offline RSF

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:44 AM »
Ok i have to really reply to this.

lining your holster to keep your gun from getting marred.....to each is own

as for Serpa issues I have seen 3 ND's in person its easy to say it that you haven't etc.... have you really pushed it and yourself under stress? I have seen it, it happens good shooters and gunhandlers

I have seenthe reports it with elite MIL/LEO units too

I have seen no less than 4 failed Serpas failing to release guns

Tango if you don't mind me asking who is your trainer? Since I Know the Magpul guys very well, and to my knowledge not a one of them has of current run the Serpa holsters

Offline Agent1

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »
RSF, You sound experienced in the ways of the leather. What do you strap-on in the morning? What are your recommendations?

FYI, I have never owned a Serpa.
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline Bronson

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:31 PM »
as for Serpa issues I have seen 3 ND's in person its easy to say it that you haven't etc....

Yup, and cops shoot themselves in the leg with Glocks so it must be the guns fault.

Bronson

Offline RSF

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 11:18:05 PM »
as for Serpa issues I have seen 3 ND's in person its easy to say it that you haven't etc....

Yup, and cops shoot themselves in the leg with Glocks so it must be the guns fault.

Bronson

no but when running guns at lifesaving speed as you should things happen  yes there is a lot of personal responsibilities to it as well but the design is a failure in many ways

I run several from Raven.safariland and others  yeap and do others ....

I see over 500 students a year in classes i teach and more in classes i take

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »
 a guy from "the training team cpl" said it at one of the classes.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 03:10:25 AM »
no but when running guns at lifesaving speed as you should things happen  yes there is a lot of personal responsibilities to it as well but the design is a failure in many ways

Would you say the same thing about Glocks?  That the design is a failure or that the shooter screwed up and put a bullet in his leg?

Bronson

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »
[/qoute]

I run several from Raven.safariland and others  yeap and do others ....

I see over 500 students a year in classes i teach and more in classes i take

[/quote]
Don't forget the flashlights!
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline RSF

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 07:43:22 AM »

Would you say the same thing about Glocks?  That the design is a failure or that the shooter screwed up and put a bullet in his leg?

Bronson

I say it about glocks mps xds and 1911s that I have seen idiots nd with issue is most never train to the speeds of which they need too or practice with the serpa

for the record I taught keith at the TT

Offline Bronson

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
I say it about glocks mps xds and 1911s that I have seen idiots nd with issue is most never train to the speeds of which they need too or practice with the serpa

So you agree with me that it's a training issue and not an equipment issue.

Thanks,

Bronson

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »

Thanks,

Bronson

I want Bronson for my Attorney.  You're great brother. 

Have a blessed day everyone

Jeff

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
He's the one that works for MDOC right? Hes the one that said that about the MagPul guy. Unless he got his story mixed up, or maybe I possibly did? But I am pretty sure I heard him correctly, because he was heckling me about my SERPA. Hes the one who talked me into returning it.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 02:22:07 AM »
He's the one that works for MDOC right? Hes the one that said that about the MagPul guy. Unless he got his story mixed up, or maybe I possibly did? But I am pretty sure I heard him correctly, because he was heckling me about my SERPA. Hes the one who talked me into returning it. 

Who is the "he" to which you are referring?

Bronson

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
Keith

Offline RSF

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »

Thanks,

Bronson

No its also a holster issue as well in the design  why are there more reported issues with serpas  than any other design?

why have a lot of specific training companies banned them?

so your saying that people should be forced into more training if they own a serpa?

no issues with the safari-land  6377 reported or bianchi acculok etc....or 6004 and thumb break holster?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
No its also a holster issue as well in the design  why are there more reported issues with serpas  than any other design?

so your saying that people should be forced into more training if they own a serpa?

no issues with the safari-land  6377 reported or bianchi acculok etc....or 6004 and thumb break holster?

I would put forth it's each person's responsibility to be able to skillfully and without incident use any item they possess.  This includes (but not limited to): bullets, handguns, holsters, knives, rocks, pit bulls, and poodles.

anetsprungen

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »

I would put forth it's each person's responsibility to be able to skillfully and without incident use any item they possess.  This includes (but not limited to): bullets, handguns, holsters, knives, rocks, pit bulls, and poodles.

I'll second TheQ's reply and add this.  Each individual has to determine how they will use a particular device.

Most of the postings were relevant to concealed carry.  A few addressed open carry.  Well, I don't have a CPL yet and I rarely open carry in public, but I have been carrying on my property most of the time for the last year.  My concerns are not related to urban concerns, e.g. other people.  My concerns revolve around wild animals while I am working outdoors.  I needed something with good retention and relatively smooth release, if I should need it.

The growing numbers of wild animal sightings of feral swine, bears, cougars, wolverines and coyote packs, all meat-eaters who are no longer afraid of man, just wary, make them a real threat.  When you are a half mile from the nearest house, being stuck in a tree by a pack or mauled by a bear can mean a life/death situation.  I liked the Serpa so much that I bought a second holster just to wear with my outdoor gear so I did not have to keep switching from one belt to another when I went back into the woods or far reaches of my pasture land.

It works for me.

Roy
 8)

Offline Master Control

• MOC Charter Member Augusta, MI.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
It comes down to the fact that some people just do not practice enough.

I feel that before I will carry in a specific holster I must do 100+ draws.

I also will not carry in a holster that I have not rune at the range from several positions.

That said I have well over 1000 draws from my BH Serpa and have never even come close to an ND.

Being trained and proficient are two distinctly different things!

>>>>>This is for all the new members that have chosen this Holster<<<<

OK Folks, So you got your CPL! ,, Can you survive a attack?
Take this challenge & see if your prepared to protect yourself, you were instructed to practice, practice, practice, DID YOU???
I encourage you to take this challenge & BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE WITH A GUN IN THIS HOLSTER.

Encourage Responsibility & Carry ON
"Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
,,, So Mote Be