Author Topic: SB 1028 - Parking Lots  (Read 6768 times)

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: SB 1028 - Parking Lots
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »
I, for one, will not boycott food anytime soon.

Me either!  :no-no:

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
A House republican introduced a similar bill in 2013  http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4027

It has languished in the House Judiciary committee.  SB 1028 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary committee.  I suspect it will languish there.

Part of me would like to see this become law.  If I was a legislator, I would vote no.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
More on property rights vs visitors' civil rights here, with the usual 100 readers' comments:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/daniel-zimmerman/turning-tables/

“We don’t want your kind in our store” he said with a hint of disgust. His wife nodded her agreement.

Dumbfounded, we left. What could I do? I didn’t want trouble and I didn’t want to involve the police in a matter that should be a non-issue.

After reading my story, do you feel that I have been victim to a cruel injustice? As a law-abiding citizen of this nation, don’t I deserve to have all of the privileges of “normal” people?

I am not talking about being gay.

I am not talking about being black.

I am talking about being a gun owner who carries a firearm in order to protect myself and those I love.

Does that change how you feel? If so, perhaps you should reflect on your pre-conceptions about groups of people.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
I am 100% for SB 1028!  Many states have this law.  It's about time Michigan provided for people to be armed going to and from their places of employment without fear of getting fired.

And no, one cannot always park off company property.  At least safely.  I don't think an employer prohibiting an employee from keeping a Bible in his car would fly legally.

^^^THIS!

Many states have this law & to my knowledge from living in one of them, it cause zero undo burdens on employers. Many states see your car as an extension of your dwelling, meaning your do have an expectation of privacy and the right to self defense. Good on the authors of this bill. ;)
A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust. -- James Madison

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »
Many states see your car as an extension of your dwelling, meaning your do have an expectation of privacy and the right to self defense.

Some states have a similar law that applies to hotels, that you are allowed to keep a gun in your room, and that a company has no private property rights that can prohibit that.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
^^^THIS!

Many states have this law & to my knowledge from living in one of them, it cause zero undo burdens on employers. Many states see your car as an extension of your dwelling, meaning your do have an expectation of privacy and the right to self defense. Good on the authors of this bill. ;)
+1
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
It's not your land you lease it by way of property taxes from the government. Don't believe me see what happens if you don't pay your lease er tax.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »

It's not your land you lease it by way of property taxes from the government. Don't believe me see what happens if you don't pay your lease er tax.

This much is true.

I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline showpare

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 06:32:21 AM »
I support this Bill and will contact the  Committee on Judiciary and my state Senators.  Sorry, I'm a little slow on getting active with State politics.  We became residents in August 2013.  There is a lot of regulation for business for the sake of safety.  This small piece of Legislation affects me for protection to and from work.  My company can't protect me for the trip from my house to their parking lot.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
Shucks, dead in the water.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
Shucks, dead in the water.

Sarcastic or serious?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
Sarcastic or serious?

Sarcastic. I can't really get behind laws that abrogate private property rights, even if such abrogation has already already occurred in a different context.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
Sarcastic. I can't really get behind laws that abrogate private property rights, even if such abrogation has already already occurred in a different context.

Thanks, I was wondering if you went soft.

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »

But you solidly support people being able to deny other citizens their God Given Rights.
Unless they are a federally protected group and then only government selected rights.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
But you solidly support people being able to deny other citizens their God Given Rights.
Unless they are a federally protected group and then only government selected rights.

I solidly support private property owners making whatever rules they want in regard to their property. The market will determine if it was the right or wrong decision.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 11:08:07 PM »
I solidly support private property owners making whatever rules they want in regard to their property. The market will determine if it was the right or wrong decision.

I agree with private property as in your home or a members only club, but when you open your doors to the general public for business and become a public venue, then not so much.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 03:21:53 AM »
Good call. My car and my gun is my private property so if I want to keep my gun in my car regardless of where it is parked I should be able to, right?

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
I agree with private property as in your home or a members only club, but when you open your doors to the general public for business and become a public venue, then not so much.

So what if a business was a 'members only' club that instantly granted membership as soon as you entered the premises so long as you agree to their rules?
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Good call. My car and my gun is my private property so if I want to keep my gun in my car regardless of where it is parked I should be able to, right?

As long as the private property owner allows it, sure.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »
As long as the private property owner allows it, sure.
Right, as the owner of the private property (my car), I do allow it.