Author Topic: Do video games cause violence?  (Read 4123 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Do video games cause violence?
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »
Latest game: Hatred

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Do video games cause violence?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
So let's put a damper of free speech.

/sarc
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Zergling

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
I saw a news clip from Vietnam. That was pretty intense and it didn't involve computer generated models.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
No, people cause violence.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
By the research and current social data?? YEP. sorry to the folks who argue long and hard other wise. Take a good long read in any of the professional journals on sociology and applied psychology and that is pretty easy to find. I will admit I have access to med-line which makes finding the research much easier. I did a paper on it in the mid 90's and there was a very high relationship between the two. I will not call my paper a research paper, it was a review of data and research. Go to a library and see if they can get any of the professional journals online or find some one to help you get information from any college that has medline, mantis, or any of the other professional online research databases.
 -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 04:03:37 AM »
I say no, despite what "experts" in sociology and psychology may think. These two forms of science are ever changing, ever evolving, since really the data is subjective, not physical, such as in chemistry or other physical sciences. Also, my son, step son, best friend, wife, and a whole host of other people play violent video games all the time. If it was such a contributing factor to real world violence, there would be hundreds of thousands of cases a day. That data is actually objective as well. If a person is moved to commit violent acts because of a video game, or music, or whatever, then they were prone to violence to begin with and not wrapped too tight (or if you prefer, a few french fries short of a happy meal).
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
By the research and current social data?? YEP. sorry to the folks who argue long and hard other wise. Take a good long read in any of the professional journals on sociology and applied psychology and that is pretty easy to find. I will admit I have access to med-line which makes finding the research much easier. I did a paper on it in the mid 90's and there was a very high relationship between the two. I will not call my paper a research paper, it was a review of data and research. Go to a library and see if they can get any of the professional journals online or find some one to help you get information from any college that has medline, mantis, or any of the other professional online research databases.
 -Michael

Yes to what -- limit free speech?  I'm just trying to understand precisely what you are advocating for.  Please clarify.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
Yes to what -- limit free speech?  I'm just trying to understand precisely what you are advocating for.  Please clarify.

I interpreted "yep" to mean that he believes there is a correlation between video games and violence.   

I didn't think he was "advocating for anything.  He did suggest that we take a "good long read"

I didn't interpret any comments to suggest we limit free speech.

But that's just how I read it.   Perhaps he will clairify his comment.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:08:20 AM by Pond Scum »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
I see the Hatred game preview has been made private now.

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »
I don't wish to limit free speech at all. Now please explain how a video game is free speech?? There is not any public (they are privately purchased product according to their EULA [another sore subject as well]). What a person wish to purchase is up to each person. You like hemlock tea??? Go for it, just don't demand others to drink it as well nor to support the view that drinking it is healthy. You want to play those games? Go for it; just realize that they are electronic drugs using very specific color, sound and imagery to invoke a biochemical response. While the psychology you hear about it the news and universities at the under grad level looks like they don't know which way is up, you look at grad and post grad and do any studying of PsyOp's and I promise you there is more fact than fiction.

Personal choice is exactly that. I just find it extremely hard to equate private action as a form of free speech. Now that does not mean it should be banned. Just that folks should understand a bit more before diving into the pool. Though that is also a choice. -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »
Here is another public upload direct from hatredgame.com since the first one is now unavailable.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »

I don't wish to limit free speech at all. Now please explain how a video game is free speech?? There is not any public (they are privately purchased product according to their EULA [another sore subject as well]). What a person wish to purchase is up to each person. You like hemlock tea??? Go for it, just don't demand others to drink it as well nor to support the view that drinking it is healthy. You want to play those games? Go for it; just realize that they are electronic drugs using very specific color, sound and imagery to invoke a biochemical response. While the psychology you hear about it the news and universities at the under grad level looks like they don't know which way is up, you look at grad and post grad and do any studying of PsyOp's and I promise you there is more fact than fiction.

Personal choice is exactly that. I just find it extremely hard to equate private action as a form of free speech. Now that does not mean it should be banned. Just that folks should understand a bit more before diving into the pool. Though that is also a choice. -Michael

People should be free to live their lives as they see fit so long as they do not initiate physical force or fraud against anyone else.

Playing a video game is not an initiation of physical force or fraud.