Author Topic: OCer robbed of gun at 2:10 AM  (Read 3991 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
OCer robbed of gun at 2:10 AM
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: OCer robbed of gun at 2:10 AM
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
This is pretty much the exact scenario I use when describing when OC may not be a good idea.

Here is almost exactly what I say:
If you are walking down the street at 2am in a heavily gang populated area, then OC may not be a good idea. But then again, I would suggest that OC may not be your problem in that situation."

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
Plus the gun was unloaded, I think, so he couldn't have used it for anything except a high-priced rock.  He was just showing it off to his cousin or whoever he was with.  But he definitely had no situational awareness.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »

If you are walking down the street at 2am in a heavily gang populated area, then OC may not be a good idea.
I'd suggest one's decision making in general is flawed

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
i hate to be "that guy" but does anyone else think his story is patchy? me and a friend read this. and had the thought. maybe he purchased and sold on the street., then filed a police report to cover his ass. oregon's temp over the last week has been a highs in the 50's and 60's much like here. now i was out at 2am last night. and it was damn cold. certainly not a time i would be walking around wearing flip flops. idk call me crazy but there are some suspicions i have about the this story

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
My first thought was that he wasn't OCing. He had just pulled it out to show off.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:29 AM »
Brad, if this was a cover-up for a straw purchase, and I don't think it was, I would think the purchaser would have "ordered" something bigger than a .22.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
Well it sounds like the robber already has something bigger. Maybe he needs something for cheap practice.  :|>

Offline thamm

• Legal Musings
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
Or it's for the next generation of thugs to practice with...

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Ha, I think 5.7 is cheaper and more plentiful than .22!

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »
I can usually get all the .22LR I can shoot for $0.10/ea plus shipping.
Unfortunately, I don't want any at that price.

Last brick I bought was on sale for $1.89 a box, so it cost me $18.90.
I thought 4 cents was a bit excessive when I could still get .177 match ammo for less than $50/5000 rounds.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Ha, I think 5.7 is cheaper and more plentiful than .22!

Are you gloating?? :P :P

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
UPDATE

As I stated in post #3 above, the gun was unloaded.  Here's more on the story.

+++++

It was only the second such event that has been documented. Naturally, numerous pundits sided with those who want their political opponents disarmed. But an important detail was left out of the story . . .

Multnomah County, Oregon, which includes Portland where the robbery took place, requires that openly carried guns must be unloaded. The ordinance also makes it an offense to possess a loaded magazine or speed loader if you don’t have a concealed carry permit. As the open carrier was barely old enough to apply for a CCW permit, it’s highly likely that he didn’t have one yet. None of the is was mentioned in the news coverage.

From oregonfirearms.org:

Although the County website often removes or changes URLs, the most recent one containing the ordinance can be seen here.

While there will be more on this in coming days, including reports from OFF members who attended the hearing, here is the summary:

Open loaded carry will now be illegal in Multnomah County for non-licensees.

Only security guards who work at banks will be allowed to be armed. Armed guards elsewhere would be prohibited   (Apparently much of the “gun violence” is being committed by security guards.)

It will now be unlawful for a person without a CHL to have a loaded magazine or speed loader in any public place, including your car, anywhere in the county.

So a severe infringement on the Second Amendment legally required that the firearm owned by the victim wasn’t capable of being fired. Which means that the carrier was walking around with an inoperable gun. It reveals a new perspective on the case.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/dean-weingarten/gun-stolen-open-carrier-wasnt-loaded-required-law/