Author Topic: Huron Valley Schools 11/17/2014  (Read 2080 times)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Huron Valley Schools 11/17/2014
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Is MOC planning a followup attendance?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Huron Valley Schools 11/17/2014
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
I won't be able to make this meeting.

And insofar as another gathering of supporters is concerned, I really see no need. The school board has already made up its mind on the action it's going to take. It will undoubtedly be a mere formality of reinforcing their current "lock down" policy.

MOC has communicated with them formally, to no avail.

At this point, the lawfulness of the policy is what needs to be evaluated as it is executed on an individual basis.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
I disagree, if we filled the room with 80 people, it would start getting their attention

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
I disagree, if we filled the room with 80 people, it would start getting their attention
I disagree. They have already decided.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »
Would be interesting to see if they'd implement a 'lockdown' over 80 people OCing at a public meeting.

OTOH, it might be more fun for 80 people to show up at the schools at random times to test the threat of spurious lockdowns.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »

I disagree. They have already decided.

I'm inclined to agree with Pat. Now 80 ppl OCing that are active voters in the school district -- that'd be different.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TeMpTiN

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dory
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
The current policy would not trigger a lock down at the meeting as it is outside of the standard instruction time.
The policy that was stated at the meeting for the sight of a firearm out side of the "school day" was simply to call 911 and have a police officer respond and verify if the person was legal.

While I will certainly stand with and support the parents in the district any way I can, I think getting the policy dealt with will be largely on their shoulders. They will need to be the ones that cause a few lock downs and I bet the local PD will request a policy review if the have to send officers to 3-4 of the schools in one morning, then again at lunch, and again at dismissal, and again at the football game.
If they can do that I bet the policy gets changed very quickly, or it ends up in court.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
The policy was disseminated to all of the Huron Valley School District staff today.

It is up to the parents to deal with this on their level for now.

If no one lawfully carries a gun onto/into the school properties, then it can be assumed:

1) The school board was successful in bullying them into submission.

Or:
2) Protecting themselves and their children is not really an issue to them.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
The policy was disseminated to all of the Huron Valley School District staff today.

What does this even mean?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

Pretty much, it was officially told to staff via email/paper handout/ formal meetings that they will have to call 911. 
As far as the parents, it is up to them to continue to carry or submit to the will of the board and give up their rights.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
How many parents have been OC to these schools, just the one?

After the legality was publicized, how many want to carry there, still just the one, or were others apparent at the Monday meeting?

I agree with those who would rather see local taxpayers/voters OC in spite of the threats than see activists from 100 miles away (me, for example) do the same.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

This part:
means that a flyer outlining the the policy of the district was "provided" (that's what dissemination is) to all of the people working for the district (that's what "staff" means).

This part:
means that the people that are guardians (that's what "parents" means) are the individuals (that's what "ones" means) that will have to recon with (that means "deal" with) the issue at their particular stature relative to the policy(that's what "level" means).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
I missed the attorney's name that lives in the district and has children at the schools that spoke up.

Since the policy has been disseminated to the staff, does that mean the board met in secret to finalize their policy and violated open meetings act?

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 10:48:44 PM »
I missed the attorney's name that lives in the district and has children at the schools that spoke up.

From what I gather, two attorneys spoke, Jim Makowski and Melissa Pierce.  I think it was Melissa Pierce who had the kids in the school district.  She used to post here and has done CPL classes for MOC.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
From what I gather, two attorneys spoke, Jim Makowski and Melissa Pierce.  I think it was Melissa Pierce who had the kids in the school district.  She used to post here and has done CPL classes for MOC.

I thought those names sounded familiar:
https://forums.miopencarry.org/index.php/topic,1804.0.html

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »

Since the policy has been disseminated to the staff, does that mean the board met in secret to finalize their policy and violated open meetings act?
No, it doesn't mean that at all. They have just promulgated an existing policy.
They are looking at whatever other lawful means they can implement to restrict firearms on school property. That is what they will consider at subsequent meetings.

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
This part:means that a flyer outlining the the policy of the district was "provided" (that's what dissemination is) to all of the people working for the district (that's what "staff" means).

Don't be obtuse.  What was the specific policy that was just newly provided that day?  We're going to call 911 every time we see an open carrier, even if it's the same person day after day after day?  We're going to obey state law?  As usual you offer zero information.  What specifically was in the new flyer content.

This part:means that the people that are guardians (that's what "parents" means) are the individuals (that's what "ones" means) that will have to recon with (that means "deal" with) the issue at their particular stature relative to the policy(that's what "level" means).

This is meaningless in light of the total lack of information on what the new policy is.  Also, simply stating "It is up to the parents to deal with this on their level for now" might not be 100% accurate.  In fact, it might be totally wrong depending on how this plays out.  It might be up to the school districts to actually deal with it, not the parents, if they keep calling 911 every day on the same lawful person.

Offline TeMpTiN

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dory
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
"It is up to the parents to deal with this on their level for now" might not be 100% accurate.

I read that like what I posted someone will need to carry in the district and trigger the policy, whatever it is.
I should not be the one to do it as I have no children in or at this time looking to attend a school in that district.
I believe it would reflect poorly on us to have a dozen people with no business at the school to show up and trigger the policy, it needs to be a parent/guardian in the district with business at that particular school.
The parents will have to deal with the inconvenience and possible harassment until enough evidence of a crime, inappropriate, or unsustainable action due to the policy is recognized and then there will be enough pressure to force the creation of a better policy. 
We can continue to be supportive as appropriate.

Do not forget to donate to the legal fund so we can get some case law to back us up.

I did and will again soon.