Author Topic: carry "otherwise" in church parking lot, or softball fields  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Advanced Security

I understand I can legally OC in a church with my CPL, however, can I conceal, in the parking lot, and softball fields? It doesn't fit the letter definition of places I can't, hence the question.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: carry "otherwise" in church parking lot, or softball fields
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
I don't believe you can do either w/o permission from the church(pastor/leadership board).

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »
I don't believe you can do either w/o permission from the church(pastor/leadership board).

Do either, OC or CC? Or do either softball, parking area? I thought the PFZ didn't apply to parking areas of churches?

Jeff

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »
Church property is church property I believe.  The only exemption is school parking lots for CC.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14:27 AM »
Church property is church property I believe.  The only exemption is school parking lots for CC.
If you look at the revised statute it exempts all parking lots of the PFZs so parking lots are ok.  As for OC with a CPL this may be legal and you would not have to have permission.  BUT it is private property and they can ask you to leave, etc...
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »
If you look at the revised statute it exempts all parking lots of the PFZs so parking lots are ok.  As for OC with a CPL this may be legal and you would not have to have permission.  BUT it is private property and they can ask you to leave, etc...

So, as I understand it, I am ok concealing in the parking lot, and since the softball fields themselves are not a house of worship, or actual church, I should be ok concealing, right?  That's just the way I read it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
So, as I understand it, I am ok concealing in the parking lot, and since the softball fields themselves are not a house of worship, or actual church, I should be ok concealing, right?  That's just the way I read it.

I think as we have seen on these boards in the past few days, laws can be interpreted many different ways.  I would say one of the biggest determinants in how the law will be interpreted is who you elect for your DA.  Keep this in mind at the ballot box this year.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline skunkworks

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
You may want to consider that the softball field can be considered a sports arena/stadium.  I had a lawyer once sa that any sports stadium was off limits for CC regardless of seating capacity.  He also said that he would personally leave if even a pickup game of basketball started on a court at the local park.
You need to decide how important it is to you and what you are willing to risk.

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
You may want to consider that the softball field can be considered a sports arena/stadium.  I had a lawyer once sa that any sports stadium was off limits for CC regardless of seating capacity.  He also said that he would personally leave if even a pickup game of basketball started on a court at the local park.

The law is clear. Seating capacity is 2500 or more, and any property owned by a church is off limits for CC, unless you have permission. Parking lots of the properties are excluded.

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »

How is a softball FIELD a stadium?  While again one could be charged with anything, I don't think you would be convicted for CC at your kid's ball games unless it was on church or school property, but then you could OC with a CPL.  City ball field/parks have preemption.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.