Author Topic: Open Carry at St. Clair County Community College?  (Read 9706 times)

Offline s_a_c

Open Carry at St. Clair County Community College?
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
I attend SC4, but I can't carry there do to their illegal policy banning carry because I don't want to get expelled, however, yesterday my English professor starts class with an announcement that certain students have been lobbying that the policy be amended to allow for Open Carry.  I had planned to raise the issue myself next semester, but it appears someone may have beaten me to it.  Is it someone here?  If so I would like to get together to coordinate.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: Open Carry at St. Clair County Community College?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
Is this a college wide policy? Or is it in some sort of student rules of conduct? It's a matter of wording that determines its lawfulness in accordance with preemption.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
I found this in the student catalog online:

Weapon/Explosive Violation
The use, possession, storage or bringing into a building or class of any firearms, ammunition, knives, other weapons or objects that could be construed as weapons is strictly forbidden. Items that pose a potential hazard to the safety or health of others (such as explosives in any form) also are prohibited.

"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline s_a_c

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
I found this in the student catalog online:

Weapon/Explosive Violation
The use, possession, storage or bringing into a building or class of any firearms, ammunition, knives, other weapons or objects that could be construed as weapons is strictly forbidden. Items that pose a potential hazard to the safety or health of others (such as explosives in any form) also are prohibited.

That's it.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
Community colleges are defined as a "local unit of government" in the Community college act. The policy is unlawful. It is the equivalent of CADL requiring patrons to apply for a library card that stipulates as a condition of use, the patron can't have guns in the library.

Michigan Legislature - Section 18.1115 Community College as Local Unit of Govt

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-18-1115
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
Lawyer up.

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
$5,000 for a retainer. They systematically make it almost impossible through the financial system for the average citizen to obtain a lawyer. We should perform a fundraiser to obtain the needed currency and earmark it for the purpose of hiring a lawyer to address this issue. I would contribute $100.00 to this fundraiser if the guys at M.O.C. would support this idea. We can't wait any longer and depend on other groups or organizations to deal with this problem. We shall be leaders because no one else will. Too bad the N.R.A. will not deal with this. They could easily fix it because they have great power through their resources. They do so much for us. Its really surprising they have not addressed it. I don't even know where they stand on the issue to be truthful.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
Time to adopt a PA style "loser pays" system so you don't have to pay through the nose for the privilege of spending your time trying to force governments to obey the law?
I'm sure the governor would be glad to help us get that. And I just saw a pig fly past my window.

Actually, what I want isn't PA style "taxpayers pay", I want "government employees who violate the law pay".
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »

$5,000 for a retainer. They systematically make it almost impossible through the financial system for the average citizen to obtain a lawyer. We should perform a fundraiser to obtain the needed currency and earmark it for the purpose of hiring a lawyer to address this issue. I would contribute $100.00 to this fundraiser if the guys at M.O.C. would support this idea. We can't wait any longer and depend on other groups or organizations to deal with this problem. We shall be leaders because no one else will. Too bad the N.R.A. will not deal with this. They could easily fix it because they have great power through their resources. They do so much for us. Its really surprising they have not addressed it. I don't even know where they stand on the issue to be truthful.

Such fundraising is fraught with problems.

1. If we have a standing defense fund, who determines who gets help and who doesn't? The Board of Directors? We don't want that pile off butthurt.
2. There are IRS code issues for such funds in a non-profit.
3. It creates a moral hazard for completely irresponsible and reprehensible behavior. If one doesn't have a stake in the $ to hire a lawyer, some tend to do stupid crap job at to get attention...a thrill...of how much they can nudge the cops before they get arrested. In short, attention seeking.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
We should do it like Rosa Parks did when she performed her act of civil disobedience. We should save finances for a lawyer before hand and designate an individual who is willing to sacrifice for the cause. Then take them to court. I personally believe we should perform our own act of civil disobedience by having a group of OC'rs carry their firearm into a predesignated college for professional reasons. For example, we OC into a college and say "we are all here to ask questions about cost, registration, housing, and even safety at this college". The media would swarm on it when they here 50 people just walked into a Michigan college with handguns on their hip. Its not illegal and we cannot be penalized by the college because we are not registered as a student. We have to exercise our rights to the fullest to get this ball rolling.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »

We should do it like Rosa Parks did when she performed her act of civil disobedience. We should save finances for a lawyer before hand and designate an individual who is willing to sacrifice for the cause. Then take them to court. I personally believe we should perform our own act of civil disobedience by having a group of OC'rs carry their firearm into a predesignated college for professional reasons. For example, we OC into a college and say "we are all here to ask questions about cost, registration, housing, and even safety at this college". The media would swarm on it when they here 50 people just walked into a Michigan college with handguns on their hip. Its not illegal and we cannot be penalized by the college because we are not registered as a student. We have to exercise our rights to the fullest to get this ball rolling.

There are 2400 members on this forum.
There are 5000 members on the MOC Facebook Group.
There are 10,000 members on the MOC Facebook Page.
Only a small fraction of these "members" are actual dues paying members of MOC.
You yourself are proposing that MOC be the vanguard, but you won't even pony up the $20 to be an active member.

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
I'm a strong, proud, white, christian, conservative. I'm a nationalist in all ways. I believe in God, guns, mom, apple pie, cherry pie, Jesus Christ and America....and I want My VIRTUE back!!! You guys don't want people like me. I am too extreme for MOC's standards. I am a leader, not a follower. I am not a stray dog. I am a Lonewolf.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:40 AM »
I'm a strong, proud, white, christian, conservative. I'm a nationalist in all ways. I believe in God, guns, mom, apple pie, cherry pie, Jesus Christ and America....and I want My VIRTUE back!!! You guys don't want people like me. I am too extreme for MOC's standards. I am a leader, not a follower. I am not a stray dog. I am a Lonewolf.
No, you have the typical entitlement mentality.
You want from the collective, but are unwilling to contribute.
Gimme, gimme, gimme.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
I think Pat is saying it looks like LoneWolf wants somebody else to buy his virtue for him.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
Lonewolf, you talk of "we" and yet like Pat mentioned "you" should think of joining "us" as dues paying members.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 06:46:46 PM »
So you only deserve respect if you are paying money.... now i see what is wrong here.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
I haven't detected any discrimination because I haven't paid yet.
OTOH, I haven't made any suggestions for spending the money I haven't paid into.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »
So you only deserve respect if you are paying money.... now i see what is wrong here.
What you see is a figment of your imagination. You are delusional, if you perceive any disrespect having been directed towards Lonewolf.

BTW...

Back to posting irrelevant comments again.

Don't bother, i'm done with this organization.

Evidently not quite "done" enough.

Offline Lonewolf0714

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
By the way...I did say I would contribute $100.00 for the cause. That's pretty good for not being a member of your organization. I guess my attackers did not read that part. I would never become a member of this organization because of the way people react to the comments of others. I was just trying to help because I care. I did not know I had to pay money to contribute intellectually. I always thought like minded people would be accepted because we are in this together.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
By the way...I did say I would contribute $100.00 for the cause. That's pretty good for not being a member of your organization. I guess my attackers did not read that part. I would never become a member of this organization because of the way people react to the comments of others. I was just trying to help because I care. I did not know I had to pay money to contribute intellectually. I always thought like minded people would be accepted because we are in this together.
How much have you donated to MOC legal defense fund?

you'll spend $100 for some TBD cause, but not pony up the cost to be a member of the organization?