Open Carry Specific > OC Questions

OC as a new MI resident with WA cpl


I know MI and WA share reciprocity,  MI has a registration requirement.  I'm wondering if I can legally open-carry in MI with my WA permit since the pistol won't be registered. My pistols are registered in WA. We will be moving to MI in April 2015 so I will be a resident of your state.
I can’t conceal carry because I have an address in MI.

Your post is somewhat confusing.  Are you stating that you have two addresses, but currently your primary residence is in the state of Washington and you also have a Washington carry permit?

You can OC in Michigan, and if your carry permit from Washington allows you to CC, then you can CC here, too.  It doesn't matter if you have a second place in MI, if your primary residence is in WA then you can conceal carry under their license.  Once your primary residence changes to MI then you must get a MI CPL to CC here because MI doesn't recognize out-of-state licenses for MI residents, although you can still OC without one.  Note that there are extra restrictions on OCing without a license that allows you to CC from any state.

As long as your primary residence is not MI your pistols do not have to be registered.

You are good to go, until your residency changes.  Please, please, please read up on Michigan law before you change residences...  The bulk of the laws are at

--- Quote from: MCL 28.425b ---(6)(b) The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is an alien lawfully admitted into the United States, is a legal resident of this state, and has resided in this state for not less than the 6 months immediately preceding the date of application. The concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month residency requirement for a temporary license under section 5a(8) if the concealed weapon licensing board determines there is probable cause to believe the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant's family is endangered by the applicant's inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol. If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established. The concealed weapon licensing board shall immediately issue a temporary license to that applicant. The temporary license shall be valid until the concealed weapon licensing board decides whether to grant or deny the application. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:
(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.
--- End quote ---

IF SB789 passed the house and is signed by the Governor, the may waive the 6 months becomes a must waive the 6 months.


[0] Message Index

Go to full version