Author Topic: Cops Arrest Open Carry Houston Member, Try to Erase His Cell Phone Video  (Read 4813 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
First of all, the OCer did not fail to ID. He offered to ID. Second of all, under Texas law you only have to ID if you are arrested, not if you are simply asked or detained. Third of all, you are only required to verbally ID, you are not required to provide a DL or state-issued ID.

Unfortunately it’s not unusual for cops to illegally erase your video to hide their actions. Just recently a cop erased another person’s video, only the vid was simultaneously being uploaded to the cloud, so even though the cops got the vid on the phone, they didn’t get the one on the cloud server and their actions of trying to cover up their behavior were found out.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline tedalton

• MOC Member
Re: Cops Arrest Open Carry Houston Member, Try to Erase His Cell Phone Video
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't "accidentally" "drop" it on the ground over and over until they were sure it was not recording.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
If there are supposedly only a few bad apples in law enforcement, why don't the "majority" of "good apples" arrest the "bad apples" RIGHT ON THE SPOT?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
Posted to Open Carry Texas's Facebook page by CJ Grisham:

We got this today from an HPD officer who asked that I not reveal his/her name for obvious reasons. I asked to share this because it is important that we understand that there are good cops out there and they deserve recognition, even if anonymously. He knows who is and we know who he is. It's good to know that not all HPD cops are like the ones in this video. We have had many contacts with HPD over the past two years, all positive.

"Sir. You don't know me but I am a Houston Police Officer. My comment here is in no way official or a representation of the department, I wanted to apologize for the conduct of the officer I just watched on the video with one of the OCT people. The officer, in my opinion was way out of line. I know that it does not make it better for the person who had this happen to him. I can only hope that the chief does the right thing. I promise you that that officer is not indicative of the majority of us."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opencarrytexas/permalink/378752282287696/

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
"I promise you that that officer is not indicative of the majority of us."

But why do so many Houston cops take starring roles in "police abusing lawful gunowners/videographers/bystanders" videos on the internet if the majority of Houston cops don't condone that behavior?
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
Are the "good" cops arresting the "bad" cops they see violating the rights of people?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
If there are supposedly only a few bad apples in law enforcement, why don't the "majority" of "good apples" arrest the "bad apples" RIGHT ON THE SPOT?
Probably due to union protection

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
I read somewhere once that cops don't arrest, cite, or even give fellow LEOs--especially ones in their own department--a hard time over citizen abuse or false arrests, etc. because "they have to work with them" and they might not be as responsive if called for backup.  There are many stories of LEOs harassing other LEOs for not toeing the thin blue line.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »
I read somewhere once that cops don't arrest, cite, or even give fellow LEOs--especially ones in their own department--a hard time over citizen abuse or false arrests, etc. because "they have to work with them" and they might not be as responsive if called for backup.  There are many stories of LEOs harassing other LEOs for not toeing the thin blue line.

Wasn't it in FL that an LEO was literally forced out of his dept after doing the right thing?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
It was in Florida that the female highway patrol cop arrested a Miami cop who was driving recklessly at 120 MPH because he was late for his moonlighting job.  She was stalked, received threatening phone calls, and was generally harassed by other LEOs very badly for this.  88 LEOs from 25 different agencies illegally accessed her information more than 200 times.  She sued for $500,000 because of this threatening behavior from her fellow LEOs.

http://jonathanturley.org/2014/08/11/florida-officer-sues-after-other-officers-allegedly-harass-her-for-arrested-another-officer-driving-120-mph-on-way-to-off-duty-job/
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/florida-trooper-arrested-a-cop/

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:43:29 PM by gryphon »

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
Then there was Christopher Dorner, fired for filing a report claiming to have witnessed LAPD violence and refusing to retract it.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?