Author Topic: AR-15 pistol brace: ATF changes its mind  (Read 4662 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
AR-15 pistol brace: ATF changes its mind
« on: December 26, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
At first the ATF said the Sig SB-15 pistol brace did not require an NFA stamp and was legal to install and use however you wish.

Then they determined that the Shockwave Blade was legal as long as you did NOT use it like a stock.

Now the ATF has reversed itself and decided that it is illegal to use the Sig SB-15 brace as a shoulder stock after all.  Using the brace as a shoulder stock without an NFA stamp is a crime.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: AR-15 pistol brace: ATF changes its mind
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
That only applies to the addressee.

Nick Madole says so.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
Here's the problem: each document is signed by a different law enforcement bureaucrat. Ask 5 different lawyers the same question, you'll get 5 different answers.

The problem with our legal system is that in order to get clarification on the law and what a judge thinks, you have to break the law, pay a lawyer, and risk your freedom.

The prosecutor is paid by the Gov, as is the judge. You have to pay your own lawyer. In summary, there are 3 lawyers in the room and 2 of them are paid by the other side. Sound fair?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »
The entire thing is stupid.  This gun is perfectly legal in its current configuration...

...as long as you don't hold it up to your shoulder.  Then you are somehow changing the configuration, even though you aren't changing the configuration.

Edit: okay, here's more discussion on the matter saying the latest letter doesn't actually change anything.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/calm-pistol-brace-ruling-hasnt-changed/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:29:09 AM by gryphon »

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
the only way a sig brace will ever be illegal to fire from the shoulder would be if they make the sig brace itself illegal.  The laws on firearms are based on what that object was designed for, not how someone "may" use it.  If i take my hammerless revolver, and put it on my shoulder and shoot it, it doesnt magically become illegal.  its still a pistol.  I can shoot my 1911 left handed while hanging upside down from a tree wearing pink lipstick on my forehead.  doesnt change what the 1911 is. you shoot a rifle from your hip, not illegal.  You put a shoulder stock on a pistol, thats illegal. You put a sig brace on an ar pistol, not illegal.  you put that brace on your forehead to shoot, its still the same thing, an arm brace. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator