Author Topic: Shell gas station asked to leave.  (Read 9153 times)

sandman49201

Shell gas station asked to leave.
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »
i went in to by a soda and some cancer sticks and when i got to the counter i was asked to leave the building and refused to sell me the items. I have a cpl but was oc, he told me i had to leave because they sold alcohol and threaten to call the cops. i said nothing i just left what are my rights? i read posts on this and still a slight fuzzy.

Offline Bronson

Re: Shell gas station asked to leave.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
what are my rights?

In this instance?  None.  Private property rights prevail and they can ask you to leave at any time.  If you refuse you are guilty of trespass and may be arrested.

As far as the law they were only partially correct.  Without a CPL you may not carry a firearm anyplace licensed to sell alcohol.  But with a CPL you may carry openly or concealed in a place that sells packaged alcohol.  It's a moot point though because, as I said, they can refuse you service and ask you to leave at any time.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

sandman49201

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:38 AM »
Thank you very much for your timely reponse figured it would take a couple days.tho very frustrating, understandable at the same time. again thinks for the response

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »
Just take your business elsewhere as they are obvious idiots who do not deserve your patronage.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline cabman1

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
Hello sandman I am also from Jackson there are a few places here that the clerks are not to bright but not many!!!
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
i went in to by a soda and some cancer sticks and when i got to the counter i was asked to leave the building and refused to sell me the items. I have a cpl but was oc, he told me i had to leave because they sold alcohol and threaten to call the cops. i said nothing i just left what are my rights? i read posts on this and still a slight fuzzy.

Not sure if it's the same station, but if it's by Jackson Crossing Kimberguy ran into trouble there a while back  It's on youtube.

I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
Not sure if it's the same station, but if it's by Jackson Crossing Kimberguy ran into trouble there a while back  It's on youtube.

Which is probably where they got their incorrect info.  The officer's most likely told the store that since they sell alcohol OC wasn't legal.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline cabman1

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 09:33:39 PM »
Nope not the same  one as kimberguys the one he got poped at didnt sell alcohol
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:33 AM »
If it were me, I think I'd print out the part of the law that lists exceptions, hi-light them and drop them off.  But, that's just me. :)
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:26:16 AM »
what are my rights?

In this instance?  None.  Private property rights prevail and they can ask you to leave at any time.  If you refuse you are guilty of trespass and may be arrested.

As far as the law they were only partially correct.  Without a CPL you may not carry a firearm anyplace licensed to sell alcohol.  But with a CPL you may carry openly or concealed in a place that sells packaged alcohol.  It's a moot point though because, as I said, they can refuse you service and ask you to leave at any time.

Bronson
One of these days, we need to get on this one.  Any place of business, that is open to the public, is a "public accommodation."  Stores, fast food places, gas stations, and such.  A business office, that is not generally open to the public, is different.  The problem is, getting our rights fully recognized. 

See, they can't refuse service based on sex, religion, race or country of national origin.  That would be a violation of our civil rights.  But what about our right to self defense?  Isn't that a civil right also?  If it is, it should be protected.  If it isn't, we might as well hang up our guns now, boys and girls.  Game over.
Big Gay Al

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »
what are my rights?

Bronson
One of these days, we need to get on this one.  Any place of business, that is open to the public, is a "public accommodation."  Stores, fast food places, gas stations, and such.  A business office, that is not generally open to the public, is different.  The problem is, getting our rights fully recognized. 

See, they can't refuse service based on sex, religion, race or country of national origin.  That would be a violation of our civil rights.  But what about our right to self defense?  Isn't that a civil right also?  If it is, it should be protected.  If it isn't, we might as well hang up our guns now, boys and girls.  Game over.

+100000000000

Offline bmag

• Just a Family guy with his gun
    • Prepaid Legal
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
that is a very good point, i don't understand why they would refuse business though
Loving my Legal Shield Card
www.prepaidlegal.com/info/brianmaghielse

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
that is a very good point, i don't understand why they would refuse business though
I dunno, because they're ignorant, and/or stupid?  ;)
Big Gay Al