Author Topic: HB 4159 - Retired Parole, Probation, or Corrections Officer PFZ Exemption  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Divegeek

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: HB 4159 - Retired Parole, Probation, or Corrections Officer PFZ Exemption
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »
So this passed now?? I saw the MSP Legal update 120...

Yes, Snyder signed it Nov 30th last year.

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »
I did not. I had to update email setting but I have access to the newsletter. Thanks Tom so much I was just curious how things happened. I also get immediate access to the MSP Updates maybe it would be beneficial to have an area where we can post them as they are released?

Offline gryphon

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:47 AM »
#1Gunner, Tom is right. Are you signed up for our email updates?  Do you read our newsletters? The new newsletter talked about some legislation, and the old newsletter tracked all firearms bills.

Sadly some people don't bother to lread them.

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
#1Gunner, Tom is right. Are you signed up for our email updates?  Do you read our newsletters? The new newsletter talked about some legislation, and the old newsletter tracked all firearms bills.

Sadly some people don't bother to lread them.
Yes Tom is right most of the Time Lol. I see where it said it passed the house. I'm no lawyer so I thought this still had to go through a few more hurdles. Yes I read the newsletter but I could not find anywhere that the law had been amended meaning it is now in effect. MSP update 120 cleared that up for me. In my opinion for those more layman people out there we should have a section dedicated to laws passing when they are passed and when they will go into effect. Not everyone scrutinizes the bills as closely as they should.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »
We could certainly do a much better job with updating this section. The problem is we have so much to do and full time jobs. Any criticism for this section of the forum not being updated is well deserved.

Here is the relevant section from the newsletter:

HB 4195 and SB 516 (CPFZ Carve-outs)
Both bills were sent to Governor Snyder and were signed, but not before training
requirements were added to the special classes to help prevent them from being
abused. The signing of these bills creates an interesting situation as the Governor
has said he doesn't favor concealed gun in schools without the ability for the school
to opt-out, yet he signed these bills even though they did not contain such a
provision. MOC opposed both bills in committee.

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
We could certainly do a much better job with updating this section. The problem is we have so much to do and full time jobs. Any criticism for this section of the forum not being updated is well deserved.

Here is the relevant section from the newsletter:
Thanks Tom but I think you transposed the 9 and 5 its bill 4159 I believe. I also read that in the newsletter but I appreciate the post back to me.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Moderator
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »
Doh! Good catch. I've viewed that dozens of times and didn't notice it. I just kept saying it right in my head.

Offline #1Gunner

• MOC Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
Doh! Good catch. I've viewed that dozens of times and didn't notice it. I just kept saying it right in my head.
I have done it many times. I guess I'm getting older...

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
SB 516 also makes it harder for someone found not guilty to get their license back after they are acquitted. You can read the analysis HERE (https://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billanalysis/Senate/pdf/2015-SFA-0516-G.pdf) .

That doesn't look too horrible. Instead of requiring the courts to notify the county clerks to automatically unsuspend the license, the acquitted defendant notifies the clerk under the new law.

In both cases, the clerk MUST reissue the license if it hasn't expired and the defendant qualifies to keep it. In the old case, what happened if the court didn't bother with the required notification? At least if I'm the notifying party, I know the notification happened.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?